BBeast has me totally confused lately. Can anyone fill me in?

Last Updated:

1. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Alright, when I started using the Beast, it was at 0.7.5, and that's still what I'm at. I've seen that releases 0.7.6-0.7.9 have come out and that makes sense to me. But then all of a sudden, I see BBeast 1.0 and 1.1 come out and now there's apparently 2.1-based ones that are at like 0.4?

I'm assuming there was like, a fork in Pete's development and now 1.1 is the latest in the 2.0.1 fork and 0.4 is the latest in the 2.1 fork? I don't know. That's how I see it. Should I be using 0.4 if I want the latest ROM? I always like using bleeding edge software, despite the bugs it may come with.

Also, I've been hearing about people flashing BBeast with different kernels. As far as I see, this only seems to really affect wireless tether and OCing? I have no idea how to flash a new kernel either, it'd be cool if someone could point me in the right direction for that.

Lately, BBeast's development has gotten so convoluted to me that I've considered switching to DroidMod. If anyone can clear this rather confusing situation up for me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

His version numbers are becoming very confusing. His 2.0.1 based mods that were previously 7.X version numbers are now 1.X version numbers. His 2.1 based mods are now 0.X version numbers.

It is possible to install other kernels with both of these ROMs. He provides links in his Alldroid threads to various kernel versions in update.zip format, which means you can do it easily the same way you would use update.zip to install a new version of his ROM. You can also get kernels and flash them with ADB, or if in TGZ format, you can install them from SPRecovery.

shadowdude777 likes this.
  3. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Versions that start with 0.x mean beta versions. So Pete feels Bugless Beast based off Android 2.0.1 is good enough to leave beta testing.

The 2.1 based that are 0.4 (currently newest as of post) are the beta testing of Bugless Beast based off Android 2.1

If you like the "bleeding edge software, despite the bugs" then the install 2.1 based ROM.

I don't get why the option for so many different kernels but I guess more choices is better.
    You download the kernel you want. (I'm using sholes right now) rename the file to update.zip. Copy it to your SD card's root (meaning not in a folder)
    Then you boot into recovery (power+X) and go to "install"
    Select "Allow update.zip installation"
    then
    Select "Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)"
    when it's done then back out by hitting power button till you get to "reboot system now" and reboot.

cconover and shadowdude777 like this.
  4. shadowdude777

Alright, thanks you guys, that cleared up everything for me! Looks like I'll be going with BBeast 0.4. I'll probably check out DroidMod just to see all of my possible options, and flash a few kernels into BBeast now that I know you just do it with a regular update.zip. Changing ROMs on the Droid is so simple, I really love the flexibility. Thanks again to both of you! :)

5. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Be careful with the update.zip installation, especially with 2.1. Check the faq on pete's forum section, there are some specificities in which versions are compatible with update.zip

shadowdude777 likes this.
  6. shadowdude777

Thanks, I'll be sure to read the documentation before I install anything.

7. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I went from BB 0.7.5 to 1.1 without a hiccup, because they're both based on the 2.0.1 build. Switching to the 2.1 build would mean a complete data wipe, as far as I understand. A GREAT ROM! Way to go, Pete! :D

8. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

This is the deal with the BB 1+. there is no more bugless beast or bugless beauty. The roms have converged into just Bugless beast 1.0 (2.0.1) and it comes with no overclocking and no wifi tethering (more or less bugless beauty). but he offers the kernels as updates so that you can flash the OC/tether kernels thus making them the bugless beast. He is no longer making any differentiations between the two. I think he plans it so when Bugless beast 2.1 is ready for the 1+ version number he will fuse them again and just make a bugless beast 2.1 that will blow all roms away!!!! lol

9. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

that explains the lack of the OC native in the update.

Instead of maintaining 3 sets of ROMs, he is back to 2 sets of ROMs - BB 2.0.1/1.x and BB 2.1/0.x

Makes sense to me.

In another month or so we'll be able to easily discern that BB 0.x is a 2.1-derived ROM whereas BB 1.x is a 2.0.1 derived ROM....

Although a bit more of a PITA, I think his numbering scheme should have been 2.0.1_BB_0.7.x / 2.0.1_BB_1.x and 2.1_BB_0.x - easier to see at a glance which is which....

but that is just the OCD in me coming out :p

10. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

I am on BB 1.0 and am overclocked to 900... ?

11. ssantan2

my bad the mixing of the two started with BB 1.1

12. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Actually his ROMs were 0.7.8, etc.
    It's in the "Previous ROM Versions" link on AD.

If you stick the kernel in the nandroid folder and advanced restore only the boot file, that works very well.

13. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

1.0 is 1100.

Change Log
    Version 1.0
    -Removed Live Wallpapers
    -Still testing new tweak
    -Will be making a patcher to make the beast into the beauty
    -Facebook issues are with Facebook, read the reviews on the market

Version 0.7.9
    -Made an update patcher that will hopefully solve some issues
    -If the issues are not solved then it is the live wallpapers :'(
    -Changes were made to build.prop once again
    -New kernel that supports CPU temp monitoring
    -Overclock up to 1.1MHz (250, 400, 550, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100)
    -Plans for next version: some new status bar icons

What was your question?

14. ssantan2

I think his point was that i said all BB 1.0+ was stock kernel now but 1.0 was oced so I corrected myself and said I meant BB 1.1+

15. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

You are correct.
    Question: If I want to move to 1.1, will I have to install a separate kernel or will the 900-1000 option come preloaded?

16. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

1.1 comes with a stock clocked kernel.