BBV0.4 1GHz Kernel Choice

Last Updated:

1. cyberclaus

cyberclaus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, So I am rooted and running BBV0.4 Rom and everything is great. So of course I have to try to make it better. I am looking for 1GHz kernels that work well with BBV0.4. I have seen several options in ROM Manager, but was looking for some factual data and not just fancy names.
    Also I am not that familiar with the ROM Manager app, so if any one has a link or a list of steps that I can expect when updating a kernel via ROM Manager it would be greatly appreciated. I didn't see much in the way of a users guide on the Devs website.

Thanks!!

Advertisement
  2. Dmordarski

Dmordarski Well-Known Member

BB .4 already comes clocked at 800Mhz oc, you can try chevys kernels, but i find any other kernels tend to make the rom unstable

3. Jeff_T

Jeff_T Member

I know you said you didn't want just names, but I'm running the P3 low voltage 1100-250 kernel. It's 1.1ghz, but there are 1ghz too. It's got intervals (7slots) and the min. is 250. I went with the low voltage to see if my battery life would change or at least stay the same while OC'ing the processor. I've been running this for about 1.5weeks and it's very stable and quick. The battery life is the same as with the 800 that came with BBv.4, but it's quicker (obviously). My quadrant scores with the 1.1 P3 have been around 1400+, while with the kernel in the BB rom it was around 1000-1100.
    http://p3designs.info/kernels/

cyberclaus likes this.
  4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

The issue isn't which kernels work with BB. It's which kernels work with your specific device. You need to test them out yourself. P3 and Chevy are both very popular and are good starting points.

cyberclaus likes this.
  5. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

The kernel that comes with BBv.4 works great. I'd be a little weary of changing that just for 200mhz.

6. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

I had been running the default kernel in BB .4 for a couple weeks. Switched to Chevy ULV 1.1 last night and all is working well.

7. cyberclaus

cyberclaus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks Jeff_t and Takeshi, that's what I was looking for. The more popular kernels folks have used successfully. Each processor can be slightly different. I was looking for kernels that were proven to have worked well with BBV0.4, so that as I take the incremental steps towards 1.2MHz, I could have some level of comfort that if it failed, and I had to back out, it was most likely because I had reached the limits of my CPU, and not because of a kernel issue.

Thanks again!!

8. klwheat

klwheat Well-Known Member

cyberclaus...I've been using BB 0.4 for a couple of days with P3 1.25ghz kernal. Set to max 1.25ghz and min 250mhz. Works well, and stable on mine.