• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Be careful if you change your Data Plan mid month to save money.

BigRedGonzo

Android Expert
Jan 12, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
I have been contacted two times now by phone by Verizon representatives that were overwhelmingly concerned about the amount of money I was spending on my monthly cell phone bill. Their solution, both times, was for me to switch to a different data plan for the month if I see that I am going to run over my allowance. For the past few months, I had switched my account to the 6 GB plan because I knew that there was a potential for me to run over because of some work that I was doing. On the 14th of February I looked at my usage and we had only used 2 GB of data for the month and only had 6 days left in my cycle so I decided to switch back to the 4 GB plan to save money. Remember, this methodology was recommended by Verizon themselves to save money.

Lets do some math. I have used ~2 GB of data on a 6 GB plan. I switched back to the 4 GB plan with only 6 days left in my cycle. Anyone with any math skills at all would see that I should have ~2 GB of data to use. This is not the case with Verizon. AFTER SWITCHING, I was informed that I only had 0.9 GB of data left because they had prorated my data plan. It is pertinent to mention at this point that you can only switch one time in a month. Guess what? I ran over. Now it is going to cost me more than it would have because I followed their suggestion. The worst part is, I will be paying more for the 4 GB plan (with the overrun) than I would have had I left it at the 6 GB plan and for the cycle I will only have used ~ 3 GB of data. Somehow it almost seems illegal to sell someone 4 GB of data and charge them an overage fee for using 3 GB.

I called Verizon about this and was very politely told, "So what? and is there anything else I can help you with?" If this isn't a rouse to make money, there has never been one.

Hank Williams, Jr said it best, "I was gettin' screwed, but I wasn't gettin' kissed."

I've had this happen before, not with data but with either minutes or texts (way back when). They are jerk-b@stards and I hate them, yet stay with them.

I have learned to call CS for any changes and tell them to be sure to make it retroactive, they can do that and then your added data isn't pro-rated. They don't like doing it, but can and will if you insist. When you make changes online you're just plain screwed.

Honestly, I don't know how they get away with it.

Not sure what, if any, recourse you have but don't let it drop either. It's so very wrong of them and you should not have to pay more for less.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones