• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Be careful with "root" app

tjreishus

Android Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2009
I had serious problems! I'm not saying that everyone will, but I was one who was reluctant to root, and now I wish I didn't. I don't know how long it will take to get my phone back to normal. I loved what I saw, thats for sure. Pinch and zoom... absolutely awesome. The new gallery? best ever! Speed and smoothness? It's incredible! But I couldn't go an hour without having to remove and replace my battery. Dropped calls, phone freezing every few minutes... the list goes on. If it happened to me, I'm sure it will happen to someone else also. If your a techy guy who loves to fix this stuff, then you should go for it. But if you were reluctant to do it. MY recomendation is to leave your phone alone. I wish I would have.

I had serious problems! I'm not saying that everyone will, but I was one who was reluctant to root, and now I wish I didn't. I don't know how long it will take to get my phone back to normal. I loved what I saw, thats for sure. Pinch and zoom... absolutely awesome. The new gallery? best ever! Speed and smoothness? It's incredible! But I couldn't go an hour without having to remove and replace my battery. Dropped calls, phone freezing every few minutes... the list goes on. If it happened to me, I'm sure it will happen to someone else also. If your a techy guy who loves to fix this stuff, then you should go for it. But if you were reluctant to do it. MY recomendation is to leave your phone alone. I wish I would have.

First of all, there's no root "app" unless you're talking about the Sholes "press-to-root" or whatever it's called.

If you used that, sounds like you're having issue with the Sholes ROM that the particular program installs.

More reason that I say to learn to do it yourself the long way. Sure, it's not as easy, but if you run into issues, you can work them out.

Also, many of us have been running ROMs (many, including me, running multiple ROMs) without issues like this.

Upvote 0
The best thing I could have done is to learn to do it myself with the help of a couple helpful people. I learned a lot these last couple days and I am enjoying every bit of it. I am the type that likes to have the newest thing out there, so like others I waited and waited for the 2.1 update that never came. Now rooted and flashing the new roms I feel like I get a new toy everyday. Those developers are great and continue to make things better for us. There is lots of helpful people out there that can walk you through the steps. Good luck.

Upvote 0
If using the SholesMod app then do not, I repeat... DO NOT install the 2.1 launcher. It's not stable even if you don't root your phone so why would it be stable just because you root? Install the 2.0.1 launcher and make sure you don't install JIT when it asks in the list of items to install/uninstall.

That and read the threads discussing it for tips and pointers. The ROM can't damage your phone so if anything doesn't work it's because YOU did something wrong... not the app. Read the threads to avoid problems.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advise everyone. It took a day to get the phone back to normal, but thats not the main problem. Now that I have seen what the phone can do, I want it even more! I'm going to have to take the time to figure out how to root properly and do it right. The 3 must haves for me are the new gallery, O.C. and I love the wifi tether. Can you point me in the right direction?

Upvote 0
So we should not use the Sholes app to root the phone? There are better roms out there for 2.1?

Did you even read what I posted?

Rotting the phone is NOT about getting 2.1 and as unstable as it is you should NOT want to put it in your phone. Forget about 2.1 until it is finalized for the Droid instead of some ported over from Nexus version of 2.1 because it's just to unstable right now.

Upvote 0
Felt that I had to post a reply to this because I saw there was an update to the sholes Root app. Thats the one I originally used and caused a lot of problems for me. It ended up being a full day of headache. Because I can't resist temptation, I had to try it again with the update. Within 10 minutes, the phone was up and running perfectly. Did it earlier today and have had zero problems all day. I LOVE IT!

Upvote 0
i just rooted after reading up on it for a few months...i wasnt impressed...i got through it but didnt see the big deal considering the risk i took...now tomorrow i am going back to factory reset....if anybody has seen that thread i could use a link :)

Now pay a buck for the app 'SetCPU' and overclock to 800mhz. That's the whole reason for rooting. If all you did was root and test then you really haven't changed anything since the ROM leaves the processor clocked at 550mhz which is stock.

Upvote 0
i just rooted after reading up on it for a few months...i wasnt impressed...i got through it but didnt see the big deal considering the risk i took...now tomorrow i am going back to factory reset....if anybody has seen that thread i could use a link :)

What are you smoking buddy. I did mine yesterday and it's such a big improvement over stock. MT browser, the gallery, it's so smooth and fast now and the speech text function has come in handy for me. That's good enough for myself to keep my root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones