• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Upvote 0
Everything in the OP's post is true - and more.

As has been covered here before, anything by Cheetah Mobile has been known for quite a while to be not only basically functionally worthless, but just plain evil. Hijacks your device, throws up nag ads and false alarms, and phones home with your data to numerous servers in China. Many, many warnings about avoiding Cheetah Mobile have been posted here and in numerous other places.

Despite all the evidence against Cheetah and all the warnings to avoid their stuff, Clean Master, CM Security and Battery Doctor continue to be recommended by clueless tech sites and innocent but duped users. It's understandable that some users may not be aware, but for tech sites to put Cheetah's crapware in 'Best of' 'Must have' and 'Top Ten' app lists is utterly ridiculous and totally inexcusable!

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6889466

But wait - it gets even worse. As posted here earlier, Samsung has made a deal with Cheetah to include Clean Master in the bundled bloatware! It's on the S6!

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6934991

Thanks to EarlyMon for that info.

I could go on and on about this stuff, it drives me crazy. There's a LOT of information available if you look, but the tech sites and bloggers don't bother. They just promote what they're told to and write without any knowledge. And there's a lot more crapware by companies like DU Apps (DU Battery Saver) Go Dev Team (Go Launcher, GoSMS) and others that continues to be given glowing recommendations by uninformed, ignorant, irresponsible websites and bloggers. Users read, install, their devices suffer, the reputation of Android suffers, and no one seems to care enough to do anything.

It just makes me sick...

But I'm preaching to the choir here. I just wish I knew a way to effectively offset the waves of misinformation flooding the internet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really can't recommend the X-plore File Manager enough.

From desktop shortcuts with thumbnails and icons, disk mapping, cloud support, mht file support, and dual panel goodness, I just don't find it wanting at all. The paid options are worthwhile and not expensive.

Old school dev, making mobile apps since 2005 with no shenanigans - X-plore has been on Android since at least 2009.

http://www.lonelycatgames.com/?app=xplore

No malware, trackers, or peepers - just the facts.

Upvote 0
@EarlyMon:
I've kept X-plore installed for years, but always as a backup. Something you posted a while back got me to seriously try using it as my primary file manager.

Took some rearranging of buttons and getting used to doing things kinda like Midnight Commander on Linux or, going waaay back, X-Tree Gold on DOS.

But...I've become a full-time hardcore X-plore user. You were right again, as usual.

Reactions: RA_BH and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I really can't recommend the X-plore File Manager enough.

I installed it a while back when you recommended it. I've tried working with it. My complaint is that on a phone it is VERY difficult to read.

I am using ES File Explorer and it is great. FTP access to my servers. Favorites buttons. I have found just one bug and reported it (it would not delete a folder on an FTP device).

My pet peeve ... rename doc to DOC ... X-plorer will report that it has done so ... check the folder later and find that it didn't. Ouch.

It is the tiny printing on my phone that keeps me away from X-plore.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Dolphin -

1432061418852.jpg

I imagine that there's some ad revenue and such.

And tie in revenue from add ons.

1432061562098.jpg

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I have to confess that I'd stripped my file managers down to just one: Root Explorer. But I installed X-plore yesterday after reading this (I think I'd briefly had an early version a long time ago), and have to admit it's very impressive, and noticeably faster for some operations (e.g. calculating the size of a large folder). Added it to my app folders and will be trying it out as my primary for a while - I think it will take a while to learn my way around properly.

Upvote 0
I have to confess that I'd stripped my file managers down to just one: Root Explorer. But I installed X-plore yesterday after reading this (I think I'd briefly had an early version a long time ago), and have to admit it's very impressive, and noticeably faster for some operations (e.g. calculating the size of a large folder). Added it to my app folders and will be trying it out as my primary for a while - I think it will take a while to learn my way around properly.
I'm a Root Explorer person too. Though I have X-plore installed. I've built enough play credits up to IAP the full version and intend to try it the next time I have an explorer need.

Upvote 0
Yeah mate I think if you link it to Dropbox or something it calls home to China.
I've seen it send Dropbox login credentials to an ES server China, spoofing the Dropbox login page.

I complained, they stopped and said - junior programmer's fault - the new guy.

Shortly after that, they started doing it again - new excuse - that's required because of the Great China Firewall.

@electricpete found, and I confirmed, that they weren't doing it as of a few months ago.

Use ES outside of your phone as you see fit - they're your credentials.

^ Facts.

That's why I first decided to use something else after all of this time.

I'm not sticking with X-plore out of fear - I'm sticking with it because I consider it a superior file browser overall.

^ Opinion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones