1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Beautiful Widgets not taken down by HTC?

Last Updated:

1. Arien157

Arien157 Member This Topic's Starter

I sent HTC a E-mail regarding them taking it down, and this is what the sent back...

Dear Arien,

I am sorry about any inconvenience that this has caused you. The Beautiful Widgets Application was probably removed from the Android Market because of coding errors. I would suggest contacting the developer of the application. There may be other applications on the Android Market that are similar to this application. HTC does not have control of what is removed from the market. You would need to contact someone from android.com, because they are the developers and they would be the ones to flag programs from the site.

Sincerely,

HTC Email Support

Advertisement
  2. snapcase

snapcase Well-Known Member

I doubt the CS people answering emails have much knowledge about what their legal department is doing.

3. StDevious

StDevious Well-Known Member

true. the CS was just not briefed about it yet

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Not only was the rep apparently not aware of this (it was most likely a legal department issue and not trickled down to service representatives), he was also correct in saying that HTC did not actually remove the application. The best they can do is send a cease and desist letter, which they did. At that point, it is the developer's choice/obligation to remove the app from the Market. He doesn't have to, he did it because (like most people) he did not want to get into legal trouble with a large company.

5. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

They did not remove it, however, there legal department sent a letter to levelupstudios (the dev) tellin him to remove it.

LevelUp Studio (levelupstudio) on Twitter
    "Bad news: I got a C&D from HTC, I will have to discontinue Beautiful Widgets and remove it from the market"

6. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

He's coming out with another widget without the flip-clock concept.

7. wige

wige Well-Known Member

In theory, HTC probably could get an app removed by filing a DMCA complaint with Google, although that is not what happened in this case.

Good to hear. Hopefully it might be an update for those that paid for the original app?

8. brettlewis

Just a warning, It is not as beautiful as the orig. This is the shot he put on his twitter.
    [​IMG]
    big :(:mad: from me

9. AZDroid

AZDroid Well-Known Member

As long as the one I have keeps working I'm happy. Don't like that new one at all....

10. Roroco

Roroco Well-Known Member

So you guys are saying it I see an update available for Beautiful Widgets, I should ignore it?

11. sooper_droid12

12. Roroco

Roroco Well-Known Member

13. Joewoowoo

Joewoowoo Well-Known Member

can you tell me what CLOCK widget is that ? I have a weather widget and a clock widget seperate. I would like that one you are using to combine them .

14. sooper_droid12

Uh, not to state the obvious, but this is the Beautiful Widget thread, so if you followed the posts and read them, this is the updated Beautiful Widgets that's on the Market. It used to be a flip-clock, but HTC issued BW a C&D letter so they had to change their look. This is the new look.

15. Joewoowoo

yea yea I read the entire thread , if you could loose the sarcasm and just tell me the name I will forever be at your mercy.thx

16. brettlewis

i see, I had some great ideas that i sent over and he seemed to like them, but wanted to go more basic. If there are any devs that want to look into my ideas I think they would make a very good selling widget. I am a graphic design student, so I like to think I know what looks good, I just don't know how to develop for droid, only web based dev for me.

17. cdodge

cdodge Well-Known Member

I agree, find a more attractive font and make it so we can have the background 100% tansparent and this could be just as good as the original :)

18. sooper_droid12

I could LOSE the sarcasm, but again, READ THE THREAD CAREFULLY... it's called BEAUTIFUL WIDGETS. Is that clearer? Let me know. I can keep quoting you.

19. sooper_droid12

I saw some of your thoughts I think in the tweets and I thought they looked a lot better. I guess he just wants to steer clear of any possible conflicts with HTC. But your digi clock was SICK!

20. Joewoowoo

I have beautiful widgets and its no longer on the market, thought it might be a different name now .

21. square

square Well-Known Member

do you have a link or can you post them here? i would like to see them. not digging the new bw style.

22. sooper_droid12

I do not believe it's "live" yet. I think he's attempting to adopt it. It's not official whether he'll change the name of it, yet. But this is what the dev is working with as far as appearance.

23. brettlewis

It is not live, those pictures are from his twitter, these are the ideas I sent him. They literally took 5 minutes each, So if i were to actually go into development with these I would work on them so more.

These are my ideas. I sent both to the dev, but he wants to go basic I think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

Those look really good.

25. square

square Well-Known Member

nice. i really like the digital style!