Beauty or the Beast

Last Updated:

1. reznorfan0

reznorfan0 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So with Joe's help I'm rooted and trying out different Roms, things are easier to do than I thought they would be pre-root as most of the developers are awsome with their instructions. It does however take me some time to swap roms, and when I find something I like re-setting up my whole phone, this kind of time is something that is hard for me to come by, so some advice would be wonderful.

Right now I am running Bugless Beauty (tried glass but it kept rebooting the phone and ignoring calls). Beauty runs great though, have not updated to the latest and greatest version, but where the link is to download is also the link for Bugless Beast. Besides the OC, could somebody lay out what the differences are between the two, and if it's worth it to switch? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid Well-Known Member

I've never installed Beauty, but I've had 7.1 and 7.2 Beast on my Droid. It is my understanding that one of the main differences is overclocking. Beauty runs at 550mhz and Beast runs at 800mhz. I've read that Beauty runs a little slower on some Droid, but I do not have any first hand knowledge of that. I know that both version of Beast run flawlessly on my Droid and I further over clocked both to 1ghz and both have been totally bullet proof on my phone.

3. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

I'm using beast right now, finally made the plunge after using beauty, and I must say the beast is smoking fast, and battery life has been good.

BTW: Beast is now on 950, but I slowed it down to 800 and it's still quick.

4. reznorfan0

reznorfan0 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

when you switched from beauty were you able to just use the beast update file, or did you do use the nandroid backup?

5. nader2013

nader2013 Well-Known Member

What is the newest Beast? I have .72 and it keeps rebooting my phone any ideas on why it's doing this?

6. Geezer Squid

7. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I think the update from today is still considered 0.7.2 but with a few more Milestone apps and 950 OC option. When did you flash because he had another update prior from today on 1/31/10. He fixed a few issues with Handcent and the Droid Root helper. Do you have any of those apps? They may be the culprit if you haven't installed an update lately.

8. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

I'm running beast @ 950 without issue, it's rock solid and fast.

I used the nandroid backup as the dev forums have noted some issues with the update.zip route. I've done this twice, first with the 800mhz version, and each one went off without a hitch.

I can't speak to the working nature of the update.zip installation method, but I will say that nandroid works well. I use astro to backup apps, and the standard vcard contact backup. Perfect.

9. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

You can even get tricky with it and use the nandroid backup to install. Then, use the 'advanced restore' option in SPRecovery and recover only the DATA partition of your old BB ROM to get back all your apps and settings.

10. nader2013

I'm following Pete's instructions but what does "Uninstall any apk & odex files I previously moved to /data" mean?

11. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Good call. Next time.....

Given the amount of releases Pete throws out there, that's probably sooner than later.

12. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member

I don't know what he means by that, but I just flashed the update.zip over the older version of bugless beast. Never lost data and not 1 single problem.

13. Geezer Squid

Sorry I didn't reference that. It means nothing for first time installations. You can ignore it.

14. holmgren

holmgren Well-Known Member

i just tried installing 0.7.2 with nandroid but got this.."error: nandroid exited with status 21restoring" I had the 0.7.1 from update.zip. I factory reset/cleared cache. thank god for the 2.0.1 back up.

Anyone know what I did wrong? I am a noob.

15. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

I don't know if someone answered you but all I did was throw the update.zip on the memory card.

16. sh0ebox

sh0ebox Well-Known Member

You can probably ignore that.

I've used the update.zip method for the last two updates I've done and it's worked without a hitch.

I also haven't noticed any bugs or issues with these versions on my phone.

17. nader2013

Just updated,via Nandroid Backup beacause update.zip rebooted my phone... I have no multitouch broser or gallery, no 2.1 gallery, home or app drawer, no glass skin, what happened?!?!

18. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

So did you flash the new 950 update? No issues so far?

19. metalmenance

metalmenance Well-Known Member

I have flashed back and forth between them past couple days as well as the smokedglass rom and all are very fast at the 800 speed only thing i cant say is if battery is any better since i havent put phone down long enough... lol

20. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

I have been using the update.zip method, its worked great for me. But I used the one with 800 MHz and wifi. I heard the latest one is glitchy

21. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

Looks like my battery might need reconditioning. Full day of normal use and my battery jumped down to 15% real fast... and it's stayed there for the last couple hours.

By the way, a couple questions...
    1) What's this about the 2.1 gallery having picasa sync? I'm unable to find that feature anywhere and I cant find any documentation on this
    2) Looks like I might have to do a nandroid install, since apparently update.zip installs don't works too well (for example, my camera still makes the fake shutter sound). What do I need to do in order to preserve my apps, contacts, settings and data?

22. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

im running the beast right now, 800 max 125 min and its running at 50c while charging, making me nervous, even when i ran 2.1 which was all last week and maybe a week before that, it didn't get too terribly hot! should i have reason to worry>

23. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

Well, just did the Nandroid install...

- Boo, all my data is gone.
    - Yay, it was easy to find all my old apps, and I only really wanted to reinstall about half of em anyways.
    - Finally got all BB features working. 950/125 MHz and all.
    - SweeterHome2 still hangs on bootup.
    - Got rid of unwanted apps (IM, AmazonMP3, CorpCal, GenieWidget, Email)
    - MMM, Gallery is finally syncing with Picasa. That means I can start actually taking some of these photos OFF my phone.
    - Gotta find time to clean out / organize my SD card. so much crap on it.

I'll have to see how tomorrow treats my battery :s

24. holmgren

holmgren Well-Known Member

Do you have to reload SH everytime too from the sd when you boot and or it force closes? I was pretty sure it happened before I installed it but maybe not ha.

25. magnus

magnus Well-Known Member

I have a question about both Beauty and Beast

I'm running 7.2 Beast OC 'ed to 950

Pete's item description Says the following.

-Milestone Photo Editor (credit to Pete)
    -Minimum Brightness Tweak (credit to xeudoxus)

I have no idea what these are and can't find any apps/setting changes. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks