Becoming sluggishSupport

Last Updated: 2012-12-29 00:15:39
  1. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Well-Known Member

For some reason my nexus 7 has become sluggish, typing this out the keyboard froze up a couple seconds its thumb keyboard. Scrolling this page there is lag in chrome. Tweet caster is choppy. Loading chrome there is a bit of delay, not horrible but noticeable. Tweet caster takes a couple of seconds to load. I cleared the cache, no difference. Disabled the live wallpaper and no difference.

Advertisement
  2. ajdroidx

Just got a cache read error in chrome citing an improper shutdown or something or other. Sigh.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Hi AJ. I moved this into the Nexus 7 forum and marked it for support. I think you'll get better answers here.

Okay, so if you look at battery use and app stats does it show something going "rogue"? First thing I'd do is to restart your 7 to see if it's just an app with a hiccup. If that doesn't fix it, you might want to install something like watchdog to keep an eye on your apps and services.
  4. jimdriver2

jimdriver2 Well-Known Member

Mine got sluggish after installing 4.2. In the end I did a factory reset and that helped considerably. Btw the Nexus will auto re-install all your apps after a FR so it's not that big of a problem.
  5. ajdroidx

I did clear out the recent apps and reboot. Did not do much. I do have another system update to install. Perhaps I will just toss a rom on and see if that works better, I mean, if I am going to have to go through the trouble of updating the OTA, breaking root, then re-rooting and re-installing TWRP.
  6. ajdroidx

Ran titanium, got the nandroid made and cleanrom downloaded. Debating on flashing.

It seems tweetcaster is the really sluggish program.

Well, heck. Wiped the system, clicked install, picked clean rom. And it failed. Nice.

Hope the nandroid is still there...Yup.

Phew...
  7. Covart

Covart Well-Known Member

Let me guess. You have a 16gb Nex7 that was on 4.1.1 and you dropped below 3gb of storage space when it got sluggish?
  8. trankster

trankster Well-Known Member

Same issue here. I am currently at 1.6 GB available and mine has been slower since the ota upgrades. So, what is the solution to getting back up to speed?
  9. ajdroidx

Got way more the 3gb left....

8.44gb left
  10. ajdroidx

Flashed smoothrom a little bit ago with brick kernel. Same issues with tweetcaster. So, that leaves me to believe its tweetcaster is the issue. Maybe its time to find a new twitter client?

Now the question is, leave it on the new rom, or nandroid back?
  11. RyanB

RyanB Distributor of Awesome VIP Member

Did you at any point cross that 3GB threshold? If you're using the 16Gb model, it won't matter what you do to get back over 3GB of free space, you end up with those symptoms until you FR.
  12. lucky013

lucky013 Well-Known Member

Have you tried disabling the sync in background of The Currents app?
  13. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

Good suggestion. I've found that the background sync on Currents is a total hog.

-SF
  14. RyanB

If you like the idea of Currents, give Flipboard a shot. I think it works and looks much better
  15. Rcarnes91

Rcarnes91 Well-Known Member

Flip board is awesome as long as you don't rotate the device while reading an article
  16. RyanB

True, but that's one reason why I use AutomateIt to lock the orientation while using it.
    Rcarnes91 likes this.
  17. Rcarnes91

Never tried that app might have to check it out
  18. RyanB

There's a free version with fewer features (I linked to the pro version)
  19. RyanB

20. Rcarnes91

Hey thanks I like that app makes Flipboard usable again and many more uses I am still setting up
  21. trankster

trankster Well-Known Member

Back to the topic, is getting below 3gb the cause? Any suggestions for regaining the performance of the stock unrooted N7 from someone who has solved this? Thanks.
  22. RyanB

Well, this is where I first heard about the problem, and also why I asked if it ever had less than 3GB of space left. The writer of the article said a factory reset worked for him, so it might take that for you as well.

Edited file typos
  23. RyanB

Oh, short of Google doing something (and I'm not sure that they can) I'd also recommend keeping it over 3GB free at all times, to prevent this in the future
  24. dave1812

dave1812 Well-Known Member

I had a recent problem with speed when I got to 2GB free space. I deleted some videos, ran ForeverGone and got the speed back up to normal. quite a pain to do, as ForeverGone takes a long time to run. Google needs to address this.
  25. Rcarnes91

I bet we see a minor update in the next month or so, that will fix these problems