• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Bedside Mode" like the Blackberry?

tama2112

Jun 7, 2010
Hi all:
I purchased an Evo, went back to my Blackberry for the physical keyboard. Now I am back to the Evo (Shift) since it has an amazing keyboard. My question applies to both the Evo and Evo shift:

Is there an app that puts the phone in "bedside" mode when you plug it in?
I know this has been discussed to a certain extent already.. My favorite thing about the Blackberry was the bedside mode!

I know you can go in through the settings a adjust so only phone calls and alarm ring at night.. But the blackberry did this automatically as soon as you plugged it in! Any suggestions?

Hi all:
I purchased an Evo, went back to my Blackberry for the physical keyboard. Now I am back to the Evo (Shift) since it has an amazing keyboard. My question applies to both the Evo and Evo shift:

Is there an app that puts the phone in "bedside" mode when you plug it in?
I know this has been discussed to a certain extent already.. My favorite thing about the Blackberry was the bedside mode!

I know you can go in through the settings a adjust so only phone calls and alarm ring at night.. But the blackberry did this automatically as soon as you plugged it in! Any suggestions?

There is an app that can do that for you. Its called...

...wait for it...

...Bedside! https://market.android.com/details?id=net.geekherd.bedsidepro2

It also allows whitelisting of numbers so that some will still ring through. Same for texts.

Upvote 0
I use an app called "Timeriffic which you can set up individual profiles to turn things on and off at certain times and days of the week. Also, I use "Volume Control" that you can set up to 3 profiles with preset volume's for: system, ringer, notification, media, alarm and in-call. I use one for bedtime that only has ringer, alarm and in-call vol. on only.

Upvote 0
i can't believe we have to buy an app to do this basic function. I too just switched from Blackberry and definitely hope to find a free solution: when phone plugs in, all notifications off.
I can't believe that people are complaining about being able to expand the functionality of their smartphones. Try using a non-stock email or profiles app on your BB. Every option in life (not just smartphones) has pros and cons. Stop cherry picking positives from your former device. It had its drawbacks as well and I've barely scratched the surface (I used BB's for years before switching to Android).

Everyone has some random thing that they think "should be stock". No one device offers every feature that everyone can possibly conceive of as "should be stock".

In any case, odds are that there are at least some free options if you're insisting that you shouldn't have to pay for whatever features are non-stock. Next time, if it's critical and you think you shouldn't have to pay for a certain feature then perform your due diligence and ensure that what you're expecting is stock rather than just assuming.

Upvote 0
Takeshi - i didn't say I assumed anything, so please don't put words in my mouth.

Was merely pointing out the initial surprise and difficulty voiced many times over the web in finding an easy way to "expand a function" of something that seems so basic: bedside mode.
Downloading and/or paying for 1 or 2 apps to get a single basic function to work is not efficient and a poor example of how to best expand this open platform...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones