• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bedside

I figured it out; if you choose the menu for Manage Applications > Filter > All this will show all of the applications.

By default this is set to "Downloaded" which is why I did not see the system application before; btw it is under Multimedia Station

Thanks..

Ohh, there you go, sorry about that, I'm android 1.6 and that doesn't default to "Downloaded" so I didn't think about that.

Great, enjoy.

Upvote 0
Cyberbob. Can you walk me through the steps to do this?

download locale, and locale shortcut plug-in from the market.
Setup locale with the conditions you want it to have, like time, location, etc.

then as the action, use the shortcut plug-in to link it to bedside.
if you want me to do better more detailed step-by-step let me know.

Upvote 0
No problem!

If we don't get 2.0 on the 11th, there are going to be some very disappointed minions.

Agreed! It's hard work for me to support 3 different versions of Android, so I try to support the 2 major and most updated versions (1.6 and 2.0), so HTC and others need to get on the update wagon SOON.

Upvote 0
Hello,
I have Bedside 3.0 for my Motorola Droid. I just got the multimedia docking station and I want Bedside 3.0 to come on automatically when I put the phone in the dock. Now I get the phones dock program which is not as good as yours. I have to select Bedside 3.0 when I'm in the dock. Is there a way to set it up so it's the default clock when placed in the dock?

Also,
I installed SleepTimer and set it up as the Extra Shortcut in Bedside 3.0. When I use the Sleeptimer and the timer shuts off Pandora the clock should be visible but it's not. It just stays on the sleeptimer screen. Is there a way around this?

Upvote 0
Hello,
I have Bedside 3.0 for my Motorola Droid. I just got the multimedia docking station and I want Bedside 3.0 to come on automatically when I put the phone in the dock. Now I get the phones dock program which is not as good as yours. I have to select Bedside 3.0 when I'm in the dock. Is there a way to set it up so it's the default clock when placed in the dock?

Also,
I installed SleepTimer and set it up as the Extra Shortcut in Bedside 3.0. When I use the Sleeptimer and the timer shuts off Pandora the clock should be visible but it's not. It just stays on the sleeptimer screen. Is there a way around this?

Hi,

Bedside can recognize when the Droid is being undocked, after installing Bedside, and you connect the phone to the Dock, a popup will show up asking what action do you want the phone to do, either open the Multimedia App, or Bedside, and you can set one or the other to default.

If this is not happening for you, first, you must make sure you have the latest version from the market, version 3.0.3. Then, go inito Settings->Applications->Manage Applications, look for "Multimedia Dock" or "MotoDock", or something similar to that, open it, and hit the button that says "clear defaults".

Connect the phone to the dock, and it should ask you what action you want it to make, check the "default" action and then select Bedside, done, it will open Bedside automatically everytime you dock the phone.

About SleepTimer, well, maybe this will be biased since I'm also the developer for MusicSleep, and while its not free as SleepTimer, it's only $0.99. But, it does some stuff better than SleepTimer, for example, it doesn't replace whatever you have opened at the moment, it just turns off the music in the background, without going on top of Bedside. I'd recommend you check it out and try it instead.

P.S. Big apologies for my VERY LATE response, usually I reply requests really quick, but today was a crazy day for me since I had to go christmas shopping. Yes, I procrastinate shopping a lot, don't like it, I'd rather wear old/rip clothes than having to go shopping... THANKS

Upvote 0
Why do you think I am selling my 2 iphones 3Gs to get the Droid? Wake up iphone people!!

WAY TO GO MAN!!
Also, check out the upcoming Google Nexus One, it's going to be sick!
Except for the fact that it will only have a virtual keyboard (like the iPhone), unlike the Droid that has both physical and virtual keyboard.

Either phone you decide to go with, both are great phones and I hope you enjoy the Android experience. I also came from the iPhone, when the G1 came out, even though the G1 was not as great as the latest Android phones, I knew it was just going to get better, and it already was way better (for my likings) than the iPhone when the G1 came out with Android 1.0... I liked the openness. And I still love it.

Upvote 0
Daniel,
Thanks for the quick response. On my Motorola Droid (Firmware 2.0.1), in Settings; Applications; Manage Applications there is nothing for the Dock... just all the apps installed. I looked over the list a few times and came up with nothing. Is there somewhere else in the device where I can clear that default? I remember selecting the regular dock clock when I first connected the dock but I can't find where to unselect the default. I do have Bedside 3.03. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction. Have a merry Christmas.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem which I said further up in this thread..

if you choose the menu for Manage Applications > Filter > All this will show all of the applications.

By default this is set to "Downloaded" which is why I did not see the system application before; btw it is under Multimedia Station

Right, I forgot to mention that.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
anyway you can add an "on call" feature or something like that? i need to get only certain emails at night, and would really like to have that available

The only things I can "filter" are Calls and SMS. 3rd party apps cannot read information from gmail/email or any other app. The SDK only have APIs for calls and sms.

Sorry, I wish I could do this as well.

Now, I have a good solution for you, only if you use gmail.
Setup a filter for those emails you want to catch, lets say work emails and such, if they come from the same domain then use that domain.

Then have those emails be "forwarded" to your phone using the Email-to-SMS Gateway your phone carrier provides, check out this list.

Then, use Bedside to filter SMS messages coming from the number that those "sms emails" come from.

It should work. :D

Upvote 0
OK after using bedside on a nightly basis for over a month now I have a few issues/suggestions.

First off this I use Bedside on my Droid while connected to the multimedia dock. My first issue is that even though I have the option enabled to bypass the lock screen there are times which it does not bypass the lock screen. This is no biggy though, the bigger issue is that the application essentially never seems to exit.

I believe the problem lies in that bedside launches 2x possibly due to being in the multimedia dock and connected to power. Id prefer that we have those 2 options separate as I dont want to launch bedside just because Im on power as I connect via USB to mount my SD card etc. I only want to launch bedside when I connect to multimedia dock however there is no such option to do just that.

So on a typical night when I place my phone on the dock it does indeed launch bedside and bypass the lock screen like it should. When my alarm goes off in the morning I hit dismiss and walk away. After getting ready I come back and take the phone off the dock at which time it "should" exit bedside but only does so maybe 1 out of 10 times. I have to hit the back key to exit bedside mode however this doesn't exit the app itself as it remains resident in memory. I have to use task killer to kill the process otherwise my alerts will be muted as I have that aspect configured in bedside.

I hope this makes sense and if the developer would like to work with me offline feel free to shoot me an email to ldougherty @ gmail.com

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones