• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

been offered a droid x to replace my droid at no cost

No! Don't. Bootloader is still locked. And to be honest, the GPU is the same as the DROID so you're not gaining any graphics prowess even if the CPU is blown to 1GHz.
that line is getting old, there are roms and themes and everything. just not as many as the droid1 has. the dX is WAY better than the droid1. who wouldnt take that offer? HDMI output, HD recording, 3g mobile hotspot? come on, its way better than having a droid 1. we've already found our way past the bootloader with Koush's bootstrapper. theres really no reason to not upgrade to a better phone AT NO FRICKIN CHARGE!

Upvote 0
I have an X on the way after 3 replacement D1s all had the same problem (no wifi on a secure system). I told them I just wanted a device that would do what was advertises, be it my D1, an X or a 2. I didn't try for a fascinate because it hasn't updated to 2.2 yet, and that's when my wifi stopped working.

They offered an early upgrade (I passed because on the last exchange I asked for that, where I'd pay for the phone and they said there was "no way; it's too early") or a half price on any reconditioned phone (even the rep said that's no deal) or a different device (refurb'd). Since I had successfully connected a friend's X and his wife's 2 to my wifi, I said either of those would be fine; but if it's my choice, I've found I don't use the physical keyboard and would prefer the bigger screen. He said no problem.

By the way, it seems the CS reps have a new tactic with wifi issues. The two I spoke with (before the tech guy who knew what he was talking about) were trying to tell me that Verizon doesn't support encrypted wifi, that it's not their issue because of that. When I tried to tell them it wasn't a Verizon choice to support or not support an international standard, they just couldn't get their minds around that. They also were trying to point me at solutions that required changing the router settings to resolve the issue... and, again, couldn't - or wouldn't! - get their minds around the fact that I can't change a hotel or office router that I don't control!! I'm not sure who is generating policy over there, and the scripts to go with it, but this latest tactic just makes them all sound like a bunch of bumbling idiots and/or liars until you get someone who understands.

I hope this new device works... my head might explode if it doesn't!!

Upvote 0
No! Don't. Bootloader is still locked. And to be honest, the GPU is the same as the DROID so you're not gaining any graphics prowess even if the CPU is blown to 1GHz.

I used to argue that point too but it doesn't matter anymore. There are plenty of modifications. Where there's a will (ex: a high-end Android device), there's a way. And we've found a way to get the Droid X fully rooted and we're able to tinker with it, not to the degree that we can on the Droid 1, but honestly, we don't need to tinker with the Droid X as much. I rooted my dad's Droid X and honestly, I didn't know where to go from there other than installing TiBu, AdFree, drocap2, and Wireless Tether. Overclocking is just unnecessary, a stock Droid X is smooth enough as it is. I'm interested in seeing solid AOSP ROMs, but that's just a matter of time.

Upvote 0
Was having batt probs on my D1 and the rep couldn't find a replacement batt so he was going to send me a refurb D2. I don't know enough about the D2 so said no, doesn't the D2 batt fit the D1 and he said good call yea it does. So got a new batt. I did ask if I could get a DX but he replied they were replacing with D2's. Had he said yea, I'd have one now. Knew it had HD and hdmi out, no kb and larger screen. But good grief! Can't find a batt so you get another ph??

Upvote 0
Was having batt probs on my D1 and the rep couldn't find a replacement batt so he was going to send me a refurb D2. I don't know enough about the D2 so said no, doesn't the D2 batt fit the D1 and he said good call yea it does. So got a new batt. I did ask if I could get a DX but he replied they were replacing with D2's. Had he said yea, I'd have one now. Knew it had HD and hdmi out, no kb and larger screen. But good grief! Can't find a batt so you get another ph??

$500 phone because a $50 battery went bad :eek:
i would have kept my d1 over the d2 as well though:D

Upvote 0
Well..... It has been a week and I have spent more time this vacation on the phone with Verizon because every day they messed up.... Hopefully Monday it will all be good. I will tell you that the Droid X is a way better phone than the droid 1 as long as you don't want to root.

Upvote 0
I could use a D2 or DX or Fascinate or Incredible to replace my D1 (refurbs welcome) LOL!

Am I having issues with my D1? Yes...it's called 256 MB of RAM...a couple of hundred apps installed with 7 screens full of widgets...and a July '11 upgrade date! ;)

I could offer a free "get out of jail" card!* :D

*offer only available from the moderator named UBRocked...other moderators won't care that you gave me a new phone so I cannot be held responsible for you pissing them off! :)

Upvote 0
I could use a D2 or DX or Fascinate or Incredible to replace my D1 (refurbs welcome) LOL!

Am I having issues with my D1? Yes...it's called 256 MB of RAM...a couple of hundred apps installed with 7 screens full of widgets...and a July '11 upgrade date! ;)

I could offer a free "get out of jail" card!* :D

*offer only available from the moderator named UBRocked...other moderators won't care that you gave me a new phone so I cannot be held responsible for you pissing them off! :)

Ugh! Same upgrade date.....I have asked several times about an early upgrade, and have been told no, but I think I have a way to game them.... Once I have my wife convinced I need a new phone.....cradle, car mount, cable.........
Anyway, I'm going to call vz cust svc, tell them I need my account number, and how much my early termination is going to be... I've changed carriers enough to figure that should raise a flag, and get you to their retention dept, where they actually have the ability to do something. Since the online deals are $99 for the x, they should be able to match. Anyway, got to convince the wife, then its time to sere if it will work!

Upvote 0
my new every two is june 2011 but i think you can upgrade at 18 months so i could potentially upgrade in january... but i love my rooted device and ease of romming on the d1. so i may wait a while...

I'm may not be an expert...but I've flashed so many ROMs and done so much with the D1...I'm honestly just looking forward to a new device with new challenges :D

Upvote 0
I'm may not be an expert...but I've flashed so many ROMs and done so much with the D1...I'm honestly just looking forward to a new device with new challenges :D

I'm looking forward to other upcoming devices; the Droid X is nice but I wouldn't want to commit to it when other very interesting things are around the corner, like the Samsung Continuum (it has two screens, one of which is a small "ticker"). That phone could introduce very novel applications, especially with root, given the second screen that's supposedly activated automatically when you hold the device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones