Been out of the ROM game for a while...Advice needed please.

1. Bully74uk

Bully74uk Well-Known Member

Hi guys
    Its been a while since Ive done any rooting and flashing so Im after some advice before I flash anything new to my S4.

My S4 is currently running stock 4.3 on Vodafone UK with Knox.

Ive already rooted it, installed philz recovery and backed up, and backed up apps etc using Titanium Backup.

I want to install 4.4.2 and have some questions.

Can I go to Sammobile and install a 4.4.2 firmware from a different carrier / country ? If I do would it unroot the phone or cause any issues ?

I appreciate that now ive gone to the trouble of rooting I should be looking to install a custom ROM but id like to experience stock 4.4.2 before I start experimenting.

Any advice would be appreciated, im trying to do as much research as possible before flashing anything to the phone since rooting.

Regards,

Advertisement
  2. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

There is no problem in flashing a stock Samsung firmware, other than that intended for your CSC code, providing it is for your model of phone however, it will void your warranty and prevent you receiving firmware updates via Kies or OTA in future and will un-root your phone. Also, you will not be able to return to an Android 4.3 firmware in future. See #1.3 and #1.5 of 23 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?
    Bully74uk likes this.
  3. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Can? Yes. Should? No.

Depending on the ROM it cause anything from a little instability to a brick. (And I don't mean a soft brick or a hard brick - a little hardware race caused by the wrong software can turn the motherboard into salvage.)

Where did you get that from?

My advice would be that you learn that the reason you install a ROM is to get features that aren't on the stock ROM - along with not losing features on the stock ROM you want to keep. For instance, a fantastic ROM on a Note that doesn't support the S Pen wouldn't be wanted by most people.

Flashing a ROM just to flash a ROM is like burning money just to see fire. Any time anyone says "I want to flash a ROM" my first response is to ask "why? What does that ROM give you that you can't get by installing a new launcher or a few apps?"
  4. ironass

I am afraid I am forced to disagree with Rukbat, who does not have a rooted International Galaxy S4 and appears to have a pathological dislike of rooting and flashing custom ROMs, as seen in his various posts, in spite of the thousands of AF members on the various All Things Root forums who choose to do so.

As we have seen on the International All Things Root forum here, there are very few problems when it comes to rooting the International Galaxy S4 model. As can be seen from the Rooting Galaxy S4 - Dummies Guide and from your own experience of rooting.

I must also point out that there have, considering that the International model accounts for the vast majority of Galaxy S4's sold worldwide, been very few problems with the stock Samsung firmwares for the International when compared to the minority carrier branded U.S. variants which are modified and have experienced problems at an unprecedented level that we on the International could not believe, both on 4.3 and now on 4.4.2.

As for flashing custom ROM's, there are many examples on here of outstanding ROM's that will enhance your phone and exploit its full capabilities and offer you the opportunity to tailor your phone to your wants and needs. The choice... is yours! ;)
    Bully74uk likes this.
  5. dynomot

dynomot VIP Member VIP Member

I have to concur with Ironass. International Galaxy phones (For the purposes of this forum the Samsung Galaxy S4 - GT-i9505) donot have the networks (carriers) messing with bootloaders, disabling features and generally making life miserable for 'ordinary' users and those who like to root and flash custom ROMs.

Since the OP has already rooted and installed a custom recovery (Philz - good choice) his Knox flag is tripped to 0x1 (as apposed to untripped 0x0) and his warranty on the phone is already voided (depending on if there is an 'R' in the month, what Samsung say and if it is Lent - not quite but whether the warranty is voided with a tripped Knox flag is ambiguous - still, best to assume it is in my humble opinion), I would look at the XDA forums and have a look. There are many weird and wonderful ROMs or there for a GT-i9505.

While some maybe unstable, have broken features the vast majority of TW based ROMs are stable, offer many a tweak and customisation and are fun. Do a Nandroid of your current set up, an EFS backup and dive in. Just remember if you upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4.2 your Nandroid (and your EFS back up, I'm led to believe) will be useless, and you may find that your Nandroid made with Philz won't work with other custom recoveries. Also you can never go back to a 4.3 ROM. That is all that has really changed since my Galaxy SII (GT-i9100) days.

Have fun.
    Bully74uk likes this.
  6. Bully74uk

Bully74uk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Ill have a closer look at some of the ROMS available and see which best suits.
  7. ibnuelm

ibnuelm New Member

please guidance me for use this phone
  8. ironass

Hello and welcome to Android Forums ibnuelm! :)

Do you require guidance on rooting your phone?