Been playing with this phone a bit

1. hroark13

hroark13 Well-Known Member Developer

OK so I got this phone to play around with and here are some of my findings

Root with Framaroot

adb reboot recovery does NOT cause a bootloop, i think I read somewhere that some apps that boot into recovery casue a boot loop, but adb reboot recovery does not

Bootloader is locked - recoveries and kernels need to be signed by Kyocera

It does not seem that aboot is patched against Loki, I have been trying to get Loki to work, but have failed so far, I have requested help from Bliss, but he is a busy person, so I dont think he will have time to help.

adb reboot bootloader does not work, just reboots the phone back to Android

you can get into the boot loader but you have to zero out the recovery partition, and then boot into recovery, like this

adb shell
    su

(first back up the stock recovery image to your sdcard)
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/recovery.img

(now we erase the recovery partition
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

reboot recovery

the phone should reboot to the metro pcs screen, and you can now issues fastboot commands

fastboot oem unlock - does not unlock the bootloader, even though it looks like it does

you can fastboot boot a recovery image that is not signed

here is a Phil Z recovery I made, that works with this phone, like I said you can fastboot boot it, but if you flash it to the recovery partition it will not work because it is not signed or Lokied
    https://www.mediafire.com/?7mrc4knor77z3as

when you are at the Metro screen as described above

fastboot boot C6522N_PhilZ.img

You are now booted into a fully fuctional recovery, and you can make backups, and do other things

if you have the recovery partition erased you can also boot into the bootloader the same way you would normally boot into recovery from a powered off state, like this

to restore the stock recovery do this

adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Well any way these are my findings, and what I have to offer so far. Not sure how far we can get with this phone with a locked boot loader. Maybe we can get Metro PCS to tell Kyocera to release an unlock method or maybe Bliss will get Loki to work

.hK

Advertisement