1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Beep beep beep beep

Last Updated:

1. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Ugh. Is the rover going to start tweeting next?:rolleyes:
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

EarlyMon likes this.
  3. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

4. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

I follow those on Twitter.

Nobody remembers Sputnik?
    Freaked everyone out - but forced acceleration of our space/communications program. All it did was beep.
  5. pbf98

pbf98 Well-Known Member Contributor

You mean the first satellite to orbit the earth? haha I know about it, but I think the more interesting part of this post is that fact that the NASA rover declared it self as mayor of Mars lol
  6. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

When a robot decides it is the leader of a free world, I think it is time we kill all the robots because I have seen those movies and a sentient robot is almost always bad news for humans.
  7. Bob Maxey

And about 4 years later, Amateur Radio Operators launched Oscar. Amateurs have launched a heck of a lot of satellites, very cool.

And yes, Sputnik bothered a few people.
  8. zuben el genub

What's the citizenship of Mars? A couple of crashed explorers - the Beagle comes to mind) Spirit - who finally died, Sojourner the same, Viking1 and 2, ditto and Opportunity who is still going after 8 years. We also have the manmade satellites of Mars. A robot mayor over a group of other robots isn't too bad.
  9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Sputnik was huge. Forced our hand on vocational education policies at the national level and also pushed the message that the Soviets could deliver a package to us from orbit. Grave stuff. I remember the adults talking about it, and even young, heard for years from them that it was important that I know about Sputnik.

As for our newer packages -

Like the Mars twitter. :)

Oh, and per another thread here, our robots are probably competing with the Arachnobots of Mars, but we do have an embassy liaison among them, Bob (their Bob, not Bob Maxey).
  10. zuben el genub

Glad you read about it.
    The Vulcan used to work for TRWonderful with NASA stuff - so we read up on all the history of space exploration, etc.
  11. EarlyMon

I grew up on it. I ended up working a number of space projects as well as missiles, rockets and other fun stuff.
  12. Bob Maxey

Hey Early . . . did you ever follow the amateur radio ops and their sats? Lots of interesting sats launched by dedicated Hams. I always thought it was quite amazing.

Actually, as you know, hams do lots of fun stuff like talk to shuttle astronauts, Earth-moon-earth, Microwave communications, communicating with the dead and the neptunians.
  13. EarlyMon

I did have to follow some of that for a time, yes. First I heard of it I thought somebody was pulling my leg. Impressive stuff.

Just don't talk to the neutopians, that's my only warning there. ;) :)
  14. Bob Maxey

OK, I will not talk to them, thanks for the heads up. Can I still listen to their leader's Fire Side Chats?

When I learned that hams were bouncing their signals off the moon, I did not believe it was possible. It still seems amazing to me.

Especially, those brave hams that operate above 275 Gigahertz.