Before i buy my archos 7"General

Last Updated: 2011-09-30 12:59:24
  1. ooo

ooo Member

Can it be upgraded to 2.2, couldn't care less if it involves a bit of fiddling
    Can you install the marketplace (rumor has it that it's not included but involves installing an APK?)
    Can i install flash if i can't upgrade to 2.2 :(?

cheers :)

Advertisement
  2. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

2.2 will come on it, or be on the first update.

Market is an easy add. Instructions all over...
  3. Daedalus

Daedalus Well-Known Member

Yes 2.2 does come on it yet not the latest firmware, do the update.

the Market is an easy install and there is a great writeup on xda-developers

There is a flash Hack for the unit now that you can get from forums.archosfans.com
  4. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

as soon as you first connect to wifi it will prompt you to install the latest firmware.
    either do so OTA (over the air) via wifi or go to archos.com and download it manually to your pc and copy it to your archos via usb.
  5. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Just so we are clear...are you talking about getting the Archos "7 Home Tablet" or the "70 Internet Tablet"???

These are two TOTALLY different devices. The "70 Internet Tablet" is the one you want. Everything all the users have said is true IF this is the model you are planning to get.
    uniquenameEVO likes this.
  6. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

Good call UBR. I honestly forget the 7 is still available.
  7. UBRocked

NP... I've had a decent amount of hands on time with both devices... the similar names and overall styling are the ONLY things those two devices have in common.

If you intended to get an Archos 70 IT and accidentally bought the Archos 7 HT... You would find yourself quite disappointed ;)
  8. Daedalus

Daedalus Well-Known Member

Or if you wanted the A70IT and got the A7HT as a gift from your girlfriend you would be disappointed as well. Thankfully I have the Greatest Girlfriend on the planet
  9. Polo63119

Polo63119 Well-Known Member

just curious as i am thinkin purchasing archos 70 off amazon for @$274

are u guys happy with this tablet still??
  10. UBRocked

Yes, I am. I actually enjoy it even more than I used to. I REALLY wish it had more RAM but aside from that, it's a great device. I wrote up a little blurb about it here: http://androidforums.com/archos-tablets/294265-please-recommend-android-tablet.html#post2406076

And maybe this will help: Which Android Tablet is Right for You? [AFFORDABLE ALTERNATIVES] | Android Phone Fans
  11. z24

z24 Member

Hi all
    So how does one get Flash for the 7 home tablet?
  12. UBRocked

You can't get flash on the "7 Home Tablet". That is a much different tablet than the "70 Internet Tablet".

The "7 Home Tablet" does not have an official build past Android 1.5 (and unofficially, I don't think it gets much better). It is crippled by that version of Android and you can't even get apps like Kindle to work on it (Kindle requires Android 1.6 as a minium).
    z24 likes this.
  13. z24

z24 Member

On the box, it says it has 2.1 eclair, does that help anything?
  14. UBRocked

Holy crap! I just checked the Archos website and it now shows Android 2.1. That's an awesome improvement!

ARCHOS

I bought two of those tablets in December for my kids and I promise you...it had Android 1.5.

So, if you have Android 2.1 you still can't have adobe flash. That is for 2.2 or better. But at least now, you have a more current OS.

You could try the Skyfire web browser. It is free in the Android market and it allows you to view a lot of flash content (but it's a little different as you still can't view the flash content directly on the page). But it's probably your best option.

I haven't checked out development on that device in awhile but if it's got 2.1...I'm sure it will get 2.2 eventually.
  15. z24

z24 Member

Cool, thank you very much for the info. I will try that browser. I'm this (.....) close to send this thing back. :)
  16. z24

z24 Member

arrgghh...I cant download it because it says I have no Android device linked with my google account.
  17. UBRocked

The Archos 7 is not quite the device the Archos 70 is. I personally do not recommend the 7 home tablet to anyone who is looking for not than just a personal media player. There are some great devices and great deals to be had out there. If your not happy...return it and pick up an Archos 70, NookColor, or a viewsonic g tablet. You might be much happier and only spend another 50 - 75 bucks.
  18. z24

z24 Member

Thank you very much for your help. This problem im having now I can't figure out. On the Archos site, I have my 7HT linked to my account, but when I try to download the browser, it says I have my device linked to the account.:confused:
  19. UBRocked

Where does it tell you that?
  20. z24

z24 Member

When I click on the Skyfire icon at the Market, a popup pops up saying..."there are no android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account"

Im signed in with my google account, the same one that is with Archos. And I have registered the 7HT.
  21. UBRocked

You using the Android Market...or the Market that came with the Archos called "AppsLib"?

Can you download other apps?
  22. z24

z24 Member

Yep using the Android Market. No can't seem to download other apps, I get that same message.
  23. UBRocked

Go back to the instructions for installing the Android market. There should be a section for "market fix". That should get you going.
  24. z24

z24 Member

25. UBRocked

Did you try this?

From your home screen press your menu button > Applications > Manage Applications > All (tab at the top of the screen) > Market > Clear Data

Then open the Market and see if you have better success.