Before I purchase this phone...

Last Updated:

1. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Before I purchase this phone I would just like to know the whole deal with the "deathgrip", gps, and lag issues. I have already looked at the different topics but I can't seem to find a straight answer. Correct me if I am wrong but with the "deathgrip" it only loses bars if I hold the bottom but call quality is still good? With the GPS it has a hard time connecting inside a house, but outside it is fast? and the lag is only with touchwiz (and not much at that) but by changing to launcher pro I can make it faster?

Advertisement
  2. immortel

immortel Active Member

Mine doesnt drop at all, unless I completely surround it in my hand, which I wouldnt guess anyone talks on or holds a phone like that.

My GPS connects just fine

And as for lag, its really not that bad. Only does it occasionally, but yea, launcher pro seemed to make it not lag at all for me.

3. Regalicious

Regalicious Well-Known Member

Death grip not an issue

GPS I just figured out -- not an issue anymore

There is no lag, especially w/ launcher pro and live wallpapers turned off. Mine is literally going as smooth if not smoother than an iPhone. Web browsing is the smoothest and most responsive of any Android device I've tried -- like iPhone smooth (just minus the little bits of polish like rubberbanding)

4. MrTony

MrTony Banned

I have to say, my girlfriend's Vibrant didn't display any lag problems. The GPS was initially finicky until I updated Google Maps, then it was fine. The GPS displayed accurately being within a few feet of accuracy in my driveway. I was actually impressed!

5. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

Can someone link me to launcher pro? I can't find it on Appbrain to save my life.

6. crashcarruthers

crashcarruthers Well-Known Member

I have had mine for three days and am happy with it. GPS works fine(16.4 feet accuracy). There is not very much noticable lag for me. The death grip is two bars at the most and it will occur on almost all (probably all) cell phones you can completely surround with your hands. My calls are a lot clear than my old Cingular 3125. The screen is very good. Battery life is good for me. I would definetely buy it again. Is it perfect no. It is very fast now, but it will be a speed demon on Froyo. Just my two cents.

tekonus likes this.
  7. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks Everybody! You just gave me the reassurance I needed to buy this phone! :)

8. MrTony

MrTony Banned

Intervenient and Surfer like this.
  9. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

Can you say what fixed it, or link to the post? I've seen a several "This fixed mine" posts, but typically later that is not the case.

10. immortel

immortel Active Member

I havent had any issues with mine, the first time I used it the night I bought the phone it took like 3 minutes to grab the gps signal. But since Ive used it probabably 5 or 6 times and it works flawlessly for me, takes about 10-15sec to lock on each time.

11. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member

Initialization: The first time a GPS receiver finds the satellite array and orients itself to its current location. After initialization has occurred, the receiver will remembers its location and acquires a position more quickly because it knows which satellites to look for.

Basic GPS Glossary - Heading to Initialization