Before I take the plunge

Last Updated:

1. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Not to be a pain, but before I take the plunge and try Velocity and\or the GNM_Turbo4 I want to make sure I have safe guarded myself against any problems. The only part of these processes I don't get is when and what caches to wipe.

I installed the ROM Manager and backed up my current ROM. If something should happen and I need to restore that ROM, do I need to wipe the dalvik cache & cache like I do before I install a ROM? Also, I never want to wipe data cache right?

When installing a custom ROM is it the same thing, wipe dalvik cache and cache but not data?

Advertisement
  2. skater95

skater95 Well-Known Member

When you install a ROM from Rom Manager, it's ask you to wipe cache and date, but that's not enough. You have to boot into recovery, and there's a option to wipe cache partition and you wipe that, then go to advance settings>Wipe Dalvik Cache, and you should go to wipe data/cache. I've never not wiped data, so you probably should.

flyinjoe13 likes this.
  3. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

the only time you dont wipe data is when flashing a kernel

flyinjoe13 likes this.
  4. dots

dots Well-Known Member

If you ever encounter any problems or questions just stop by the Ally IRC channel (info in my sig) and we will try and help.

flyinjoe13 likes this.
  5. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks all for the answers. You each get a Thank You click. So based on what you are saying, if I wanted to try the GNM_Turbo4_no_kernel, then I would go ahead and wipe all cache, data included because i'm not flashing a kernel.

6. dots

dots Well-Known Member

If you wanted to use the GNM_Turbo_4_no_kernel you would only wipe cache and dalvik cache. You don't wipe data when flashing kernels because it's not a rom and if you wipe the data you will not have android on your phone. :p

7. darkxsun

darkxsun Well-Known Member

Yes, you would, android is not stored in /data...

8. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Correct i was wrong in that case. But the numerous guides i've seen on the android forums for the kernel's made by drellisdee say only wipe cache and dalvik cache. You would wipe data/cache/dalvik cache if you were flashing a rom.

9. darkxsun

darkxsun Well-Known Member

Right, you very very much should wipe /data when installing a ROM because that partition stores your applications and (often) their data. These things are very rarely compatible across ROMs, and I believe having apps installed in /data but not have the packages database include them (which is stored in /system?) would probably be bad.

There's no reason you *can't* wipe /data at any time, but it's not necessary when you're installing a kernel, and of course it'll erase your settings and apps :)

EDIT: Oh, and dalvik-cache is stored in /data, and (for clockwork at least) wiping /data wipes /cache too. So, I'm almost positive if you're wiping /data you're doing all three.