• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Before Purchasing Galaxy S Consider This

Maybe it's just me, but I find it difficult to follow the logic of this arguement. We are talking about a phone, not yet released, and complaining about what the manufacturer may or may not provide in software updates in months to come.
I spent considerably more on a computer, and I have never had a call to say "windows 7 is out now, would you like a free upgrade?", I also drive a Jaguar 2.7 Lt Diesel, there is now a 3.0lt Diesel but Jaguar have not contacted me to offer to upgrade my engine to the latest spec.

Surely when buying anything, you decide on the parameters that are essential, then the things that would be nice, and decide on the product that is nearest to meeting all your needs, and buy that. No matter what you buy, you cannot guarantee that it will be future-proof.

To berate a company that is producing millions of units for world wide sales, because it doesn't happen to do exactly what you want, is a little bit presumptious.

If I buy a Galaxy S, it will be because of what it is, and where it stacks up against the competition NOW, not because of what might happen in the future.

Its a huge difference between Samsung giving you CPU, GPU, Camera, etc upgrades and giving you software upgrades, that is what your example with your Jaguar gives...

if your Jaguarhad a board computer and the software that is on, can be upgraded, they will upgrade it, not because of the current owners, no... they want to keep selling this car the next months/years...

Upvote 0
Maybe it's just me, but I find it difficult to follow the logic of this arguement. We are talking about a phone, not yet released, and complaining about what the manufacturer may or may not provide in software updates in months to come.
I spent considerably more on a computer, and I have never had a call to say "windows 7 is out now, would you like a free upgrade?", I also drive a Jaguar 2.7 Lt Diesel, there is now a 3.0lt Diesel but Jaguar have not contacted me to offer to upgrade my engine to the latest spec.

Surely when buying anything, you decide on the parameters that are essential, then the things that would be nice, and decide on the product that is nearest to meeting all your needs, and buy that. No matter what you buy, you cannot guarantee that it will be future-proof.

To berate a company that is producing millions of units for world wide sales, because it doesn't happen to do exactly what you want, is a little bit presumptious.

If I buy a Galaxy S, it will be because of what it is, and where it stacks up against the competition NOW, not because of what might happen in the future.
Whilst I understand your arguement the similarities are in fact poles apart.

I also drive an expensive top of the range 4x4 and my wife a Mercedes Coupe and in no manner whatsoever would I expect a 'freebie' upgrade later after purchase.

However, with the Mobile Phone Industry this is different.
Technology that supports a particular phone is not limited to what it gives on the day of purchase. There are numerous upgrades that are required to attain the highest possible usage.
These are in the form of Firmware upgrades, ROM patches, system support files etc.
It is expected in this industry that any user purchasing a mobile phone will at some stage or another will need the provided upgrade in order to utilize the equipment to it's best.

.... hence why it is then expected for manufacturers to provide improvements if the media print as such. :)

Upvote 0
Low sales or not this behavior is at best unethical and at worst illegal. People need to understand what kind of company they are doing buisness with and draw their own conclusions. I never pushed my beliefs just shared the info that's out there you can agree or disagree and I have no problem with either.

Thanx
behold_this

Upvote 0

BAD COMPARISON.

Microsoft releases a new version of windows every 4-5 years. Google releases a new Android version every other month it seems. By the time a Windows 8 or whatever it will be called comes out many of the older PC's will not have caught up. My XP computer had 512mb of RAM when it was released around the beginning of XP's life 512mb would have made Vista run insanely slow. Even so I could have updated to Vista for around $50. I did not do it BUT I HAD AN OPTION.

Now with the Behold II it is 6 months old and can easily run 2.1 or even 2.2 for that matter but Samsung does not want to waste their time supporting the few customers that actually believed them. Instead they screwed us and now want us to spend $600 on a Galaxy S that if they don't sell enough of they will not support either.

Upvote 0
BAD COMPARISON.

Microsoft releases a new version of windows every 4-5 years. Google releases a new Android version every other month it seems. By the time a Windows 8 or whatever it will be called comes out many of the older PC's will not have caught up. My XP computer had 512mb of RAM when it was released around the beginning of XP's life 512mb would have made Vista run insanely slow. Even so I could have updated to Vista for around $50. I did not do it BUT I HAD AN OPTION.

Now with the Behold II it is 6 months old and can easily run 2.1 or even 2.2 for that matter but Samsung does not want to waste their time supporting the few customers that actually believed them. Instead they screwed us and now want us to spend $600 on a Galaxy S that if they don't sell enough of they will not support either.

O.K. I'll admit defeat, I've obviously touched a raw nerve, and nothing that I say will reduce the bad feeling towards Samsung in this thread.

I'll get my coat!!

Upvote 0
Its not about winning, its about making a valid point on an argument and while your point is somewhat valid its not applicable to mobile phones though.

Too be honest this entire thread is not valid its not about the Galaxy S its about the Behold 2 and as much as that sucks and alot of people now hate Samsung then why are you still going on about them?, I hate Apple but i don't go onto Iphone forums and start ranting.

Besides how can anyone moan about a phone thats not been released yet and a update that so far only the N1 has?.

Look its quite simple if you don't like the phone don't buy it and go and talk about another android phone, for those here that do buy this phone if we get screwed by samsung thats our problem.

Upvote 0
Too be honest this entire thread is not valid its not about the Galaxy S its about the Behold 2 and as much as that sucks and alot of people now hate Samsung then why are you still going on about them?, I hate Apple but i don't go onto Iphone forums and start ranting.

Besides how can anyone moan about a phone thats not been released yet and a update that so far only the N1 has?.

Look its quite simple if you don't like the phone don't buy it and go and talk about another android phone, for those here that do buy this phone if we get screwed by samsung thats our problem.
I could not have said it better and as you you deserve a 'Thank You'. :)

Upvote 0
Like it or not, dropped support on android devices by major hardware manufacturers is going to keep on happening. The Samsung Galaxy S is going to be replaced by another device, and that device is going to be replaced and so on and so on. It's their business model and it's how they make money. As a hardware company they spur sales by creating new and improved hardware. They could have just updated all their old phones and then launched new marketing campaigns, but that's more of a risk than creating a new phone, beefing up the specs, and throwing in the latest version of android. Fragmentation among android devices is just a natural part of the equation here, and will remain apart of it until Google takes some kind of action to change it.

If you wanted continual software updates, your only choices at the moment are either a Nexus One, which looks to be Google's flagship device for the time being, or you're going to have to look across the pond at Apple. Just don't expect a television manufacturer to provide much post sales support.

Upvote 0
That's not the point of this thread at all. The point is to inform people of samsungs unethical buisness practices nothing else. They made a commitment to their customers in advertisements and sold units on that basis and now say oh well we lied! If you want to do business with a company like that then by all means by a galaxy s...choice is yours cause now you are an informed consumer.

Reactions: mikenick42
Upvote 0
Just don't expect a television manufacturer to provide much post sales support.

LoL ! ha now that is funny a TV company yeah your just forgetting about the MP3 Players / Laptops / Blu-Ray Players / DVD Players / Projectors / Home Cinema Systems / Cameras / Camcorders / Photo Frames / PC's / Monitors / Printers / Vacuum Cleaners / Fridges / Washing Machines / Microwaves / Ovens / Memory Cards / Processors / Mobile Phones /.

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
LoL ! ha now that is funny a TV company yeah your just forgetting about the MP3 Players / Laptops / Blu-Ray Players / DVD Players / Projectors / Home Cinema Systems / Cameras / Camcorders / Photo Frames / PC's / Monitors / Printers / Vacuum Cleaners / Fridges / Washing Machines / Microwaves / Ovens / Memory Cards / Processors / Mobile Phones /.

:rolleyes:

Not forgetting:- SUPER AMOLED SCREENS

Upvote 0

Uh I need to correct you there the N1 is NOT the only phone that has 2.1

Moto Droid has it

Droid Eris has it

Galaxy Spica

Samsung Moment

Htc Incredible

LG Ally

T-Mobile Pulse just got updated to 2.1

Nexus 1 is the ONLY phone with Android 2.1 huh? where have you been? under a rock?

Also its not moaning about a phone rather than warning about a company that has yet to be reliable when it comes to updating their devices.

This doesn't have much to do with behold 2.

Upvote 0
Uh I need to correct you there the N1 is NOT the only phone that has 2.1

Moto Droid has it

Droid Eris has it

Galaxy Spica

Samsung Moment

Htc Incredible

LG Ally

T-Mobile Pulse just got updated to 2.1

Nexus 1 is the ONLY phone with Android 2.1 huh? where have you been? under a rock?

Also its not moaning about a phone rather than warning about a company that has yet to be reliable when it comes to updating their devices.

This doesn't have much to do with behold 2.

Froyo is 2.2 and only the Nexus so far has it i was not talking about 2.1.

And like i said yes it is moaning.

Reactions: Eazail70x7
Upvote 0
Lmao...a whinger? WTF is that? you guys are too funny...i keep going on about it?...ok whatever you say...the fact is i've tried two times to whined this thread down and i never attacked anyone just shared advice, opinions, and facts (like you are supposed to do on a forum), but you fanboys just want to attack...but its clear who is really pathetic here. lol i love newbies who think their sh#t doesn't stink.

dude chill its only a fone lol

Reactions: behold_this
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones