• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Beginner question: Switching to a new phone

Hi! Sorry if this has been posted a thousand times already, I didn't really know what to search for.

Also, I'm a total noob with phones, so please bear with me.

I might be switching to a new Android device soon, and I'm wondering if there is any way of transferring my apps and configuration to the new one. My information and phone number is in the SIM card, right, so I just put it in my new phone to keep my old number?
What about the SD card? I can just plug it into the new phone and any data on it will be accessible and usable on the new device as well?

Like I said, I don't know much about these things. Answers will be greatly appreciated. :eek:

assuming the android phone is from the same provider as your old phone, your SIM card will transfer your phone number. if you get a 4G phone, your SIM card has to be a 4G-compatible SIM otherwise the new phone will not recognize it.

In theory, you should be able to insert your old sdcard into the new phone and it will give you the list of files that are on it. Depending on how the old phone partitioned that sdcard, it MAY not work that way but you have a good chance that it will be okay.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones