Beginner questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. Nuukeer

Nuukeer Member This Topic's Starter

I have some questions regarding the purchase of my Galaxy S:
    How do you see how many satellites the GPS can lock on? My GPS works poorly (couldn't guesstimate my position until I enabled aGPS in some service menu, now my position is locked onto but very poorly (margin of error looks like ~5 km, although my real position is 10 km west of the position it claims)).
    How do you change size on the 2 partitions on the built-in memory (2 GB for apps and OS is unnecessarily big)? I remember reading about it on some forum, but I have forgotten where.
    How do you make icons disappear in the notifications bar? When I have installed several new apps I don't want it clogged like that.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Nuukeer

Why no answers? I've asked these simple questions in 3 forums and no answer yet! Viewing how many satellites the phone can lock onto seems to be very simple, as everyone mentions this when they expound how poor their GPS works. But I've never seen how many satellites it can lock onto. Neither have I seen the exact margin of error, which is the reason for my estimate.

3. Darkplek

Darkplek Well-Known Member

Download an app called "GPS Test" or "GPS Status" or similar to get GPS info.

Haven't a clue how to repartition i'm afraid. Probably involves root and a terminal, at a guess. But why would you want to? If you need more space just get a cheap memory card I say. Good to have space for apps. But if you're set on the idea try googleing it or use the forum search function.

Last one is pretty easy. Just drag down the notification bar and press "Clear"

4. Nuukeer

Thanks for the reply. I have root and so, and I saw it mentioned on another forum.

I also have a question regarding firmware upgrades with ROM manager: I don't have ROM manager premium, so I can't download firmwares using the phone. But I went to samsung-firmwares and downloaded JM5, which I need to install Samset 1.9 (here [ROM XWJM5] SamSet 1.9b |CUSTOM KERNEL A2SD FIXLAG| |THEMED| |OPTIMIZED| [06/08/10] - xda-developers). But it is a rar-package, and not an update.zip, how do I apply it with ROM manager? It contains a folder which contains modem, code and csc files. But selecting the folder with ROM manager (unrared) doesn't make any difference. Why isn't the d/l from samsung-firmwares an update.zip, if that's how you must do it?