• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Beginner Root Questions (sorry guys)

Danielson2047

Android Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2010
Portage, WI
Okay, looking at rooting (easy root app or the guide posted here) and i just want to be completely sure of something. As i understand: Rooting gives me super access, and gives me the ability to flash a rom, such as bugless beast, stock ota. If i want to unroot at any time, i flash the stock 2.1 ota, then the 2.2 ota. Is this accurate?

The only thing i'm really confused/concerned about is this SPRecovery deal. It replaces the stock android bootloader (which is the screen i pressed power + X to get to when i did the OTA yesterday, right?). When/if i flash a stock ROM later, does it replace this with the stock Android bootloader again, or is SPRecovery there forever. I thought i heard people having trouble with the 2.2OTA with SPR,

Upvote 0
As long as you're rooted you have the capability to overclock. It doesn't matter how you do it. You will need to flash a kernel that has higher speeds coded into it - there are plenty of them. You can easily do this with a stock rooted 2.2 ROM; no need to add any themes or apps that you don't want. You will also probably want SetCPU so you can set profiles up for your clock speeds. You don't want it running at maximum power all of the time, it'll kill your battery.

Upvote 0
Okay, looking at rooting (easy root app or the guide posted here) and i just want to be completely sure of something. As i understand: Rooting gives me super access, and gives me the ability to flash a rom, such as bugless beast, stock ota. If i want to unroot at any time, i flash the stock 2.1 ota, then the 2.2 ota. Is this accurate?

No, this is wrong and I'm shocked that no one has caught it in this thread!!

If you want to unroot, you need to connect your phone to a PC (install your phone drivers) and use the RSD Lite software to flash the entire stock firmware image (SBF). Currently the most recent full stock firmware image available is 2.1, so if you wanted to go back to Froyo, you would install the 2.2 OTA ("stock" from google) on top of the 2.1 you just flashed.

Detailed instructions for how to use RSD Lite are in the sticky thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones