• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Beginners' Guide to Boost Galaxy S2 and Repository

kevincott

Android Expert
Jul 12, 2011
Chicago, IL
The Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 is a mid-level Android 4.0.4 CDMA/WiMax phone relabeled from the Sprint Epic 4G Touch. After rooting the Boost S2 can use any Epic Touch 4G ROM.

Tips:

1. Read threads/posts (** SEARCH **) and test sufficiently; many question are already answered in posts or can be resolved by personal testing.

2. Battery life: Turn off GPS, Wi-Fi, sync, Bluetooth and 4G when not in use. Watch for apps that update too often (email), kill background apps (stock task manager). Low signals (3G/4G) will drain quickly. Running CPU a moderator like Voltage Control can under-clock your CPU and extend battery life.
2a. Bad Battery Test: Try spinning your battery, if it spins it is bad.

3. Keep your battery cool; phones can reboot around 120 degrees.

4. Dalvik Cache is for speeding apps (.apk). It is OK to clear data as any necessary data will reload.

5. Create a unique Gmail account to store contacts/calendar and sync as necessary.

6. Link to: Boost Galaxy S2 Firmware Updates

7. Download mode: (Odin): Volume- and power until prompt, then volume+
7a. Recovery mode (CWM): Volume+ and power, keep holding (about 30 seconds)

8. Direct number to Boost CS Representative:

9. Restoring contacts (Gmail): You can restore contacts to a previous version

Tutorials:

[ROOT GUIDE] Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2

**Tutorial** Return to Boost stock

Fix MMS issue on custom ROMs: Thread with known fix

Nandroid: Complete backup of you phone

Boost Mobile automated MSL MSL (master subsidy lock)

3G/4G modem tweaks

[GUIDE] How to Disable Boost Data Throttle - *Confirmed Works

FLASH EPIC 4g TOUCH on boost!! Step by step!!

How To Un-brick and Un-root Your Epic 4G Touch (Boost SGS2)

Mods:

Original custom Sprint ROMs

Semi-original custom Sprint ROMs

CyanogenMod10

Themes

Removable Apps/ Bloatware

Stock Google apps

Android Forums Guide to SGS2 ROMs

Essential Apps:

Odin: Samsung recovery tool that can return to stock if desired. Odin3 v1.85 attached

Samsung Kies: Samsung PC/phone sync app that contains Samsung drivers
.... Troubleshooting Kies

CWM/AGAT: Custom recovery tools

Titanium Backup: This is the must have app for anyone that is rooted! Backup, restore and freeze including system data, apps and app data, settings and lots more. Also converts system apps to user apps and reverse

Red Laser Barcode Scanner

VisualVoicemail.apk: often missing from custom ROMs

Boost Coverage Map (including 4G LTE): http://www.boostmobile.com/coverage/

Samsung Galaxy S

Attachments

• Odin3_v1.85.zip
    199.3 KB · Views: 149
6. Quicker customer service: Dial 88 during prerecorded message for 'dealer mode'

This is not recommended. I am a Boost Mobile Store Manager. When you press '88' it will ask you to put in your exact dealer code. If you do not have one, They do maintain the right to disconnect the call.

Also, If you use a dealer code (Dealer ID), That store will be recorded as having made that call. In the event that you are caught using this information fraudulently we reserve the right to cancel your service without warning.

Each call is recorded and the phone numbers listed, If you call from a blocked number customer service has the right to refuse the call.

Call your local store and have them make the call on your behalf.
I am here as well, I will do my best to help.

If you are not dealer, Do not use the dealer line. This will slow down and clog up our ability to help our customers.
Call times will increase and the security measures will become more complex.
This is not fair to me or to other customers/dealers.

Thank you for understanding!

If you have any questions feel free to inbox/comment me!

Upvote 0
I just installed a new from from...well I just remember its called Blu Kuban by Rujelus22. I noticed I can't send photos to my mom so I tried the mms fix and still no dice. I did this immediately after installing the new rom. Any ideas?
Do you have your MSL? Im running the same rom and my mms is working. I dialed ##DATA## then tap EDIT, Type in you MSL, then tap others then tap MMSC URL. delete mmm.sprint and type in, mm.myboostmobile.com Thats it. hope i helped. on the older BLU KUBAN you could only send MMS on 4g I think. The new updated BLU KUBAN w the FI27 kernel allows MMS to be sent over 3g n 4g.

Reactions: kevincott
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones