Beginners question

1. dhevans

dhevans Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I couldn't find this answered anywhere, but hopefully someone will understand what I'm on about!

I'm a long time Nokia symbian fan looking to switch over to android, and most probably the Hero. One app I really can't be without is BestProfiles.. Hopefully another symbian deserter will know what I mean... if not..

Essentially it's a profile manager which is set up to automatically switch between profiles according to set up. My N96 goes to 'Office' at 8:30 and back to 'general' at 5:30. Any meetings in my calendar tagged with 'meeting' will send it into the 'Meeting' profile for the duration of the meeting. Most importantly it goes to 'silent' late on in the evening so my shift working friends' text messages don't wake me up :)

It's a simple idea, and I'm happy to pay for it again, I'm hoping someone will say it's available somehow!

I also have another question regarding the available memory for apps. This was something I was desperate to get away from when I had a previous Nokia as it didn't have enough resident RAM for just a couple of apps running. It was most irritating at a junction when TomTom would crash because RoadSync (push mail client) had received a work email... Has anyone found the memory to be a real pain?
    I don't think I understand whether a generic unlocked Hero can have apps installed onto the card - or do you have to modify your phone to do this as well?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. jimeller

jimeller Well-Known Member

I believe "Locale" is the app you are looking for, however I haven't tried it myself, so can't swap notes with you......... Locale is available in the market (free I think?????)
  3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Locale can do all those things, except maybe the bit about meetings.

I think that when we (eventually) get the new android update we'll be able to put apps on the sd card. Untill then it involves messing with the phone's software.
  4. dhevans

dhevans Well-Known Member

Looking at the website - does it do the swap based on timings as well as location? Given I want it to go quiet at home, but only at certain periods of the day. Looks good though, many thanks for both answers.

Edit: I've found that it does. That's made my day :)
  5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Just had another look at locale and it can use calender events :)

Make sure you set defaults for everything first too, otherwise things wont switch back to normal after a meeting, for example.

I also noticed my old free version now wants me to upgrade to a $10 version which, going by the comments, is worse than the one I have =/