• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

behold 2 owners come together to force Samsung!!!

Ok i want to know if Samsung really doesn't give updates to the behold 2, what's our options legally? They lied to us all and we paid more for this phone than many other android phones out there! im willing to take a stand cuz i can't root and the whole reason i got this phone was the promises Samsung gave us in videos hyping this phone up;( so if anybody knows anything about law i want to know if strength in numbers and legal pressure would force them to put out an update to at least yesterday standard

I would be very surprised if there is anything actionable here. Implicit promises that we'd get 2.x at best promise to distribute the update "when available." Unless anybody has a contact or document where samsung promises to develop 2.x or support the phone for some length of time, there is probably nothing legal we could do.

Alternatively, we good organize a boycott of samsung. Probably a good idea anyways, since they apparently have no intention of support their products (if we're paying for the phone for 2 years, I feel anything short of 18 months of development support is minimum.) If we convince them that a demonstrated lack of support will kill their sales, they might keep the lights on.

Upvote 0
I would say we'd need to convince a carrier to force Samsung's hand. T-Mobile sold me the phone and if they plan to not support it with updates after they sell it and make me sign a 2 year agreement, I think they should have to support and update the phone during that period at least. They should say to Samsung "you can't hang our users out to dry like that...we'll stop selling your phones if you do that."

Upvote 0
You can't sue someone for "Potential Future Features". It's like "Your Mileage May Vary" or "Card Subject To Change".

This isn't a case where we bought a 2.1 phone and have been forced to 1.5. This isn't like Sony removing Linux support from existing PS3s (three seperate class actions for that, BTW).

All Samsung has to do is show that it is too cost prohibitive or that performance of the device would in some way be hurt by upgrading to 2.1 to get out of a lawsuit, regardless of what we think.

Upvote 0
There *is* a language that they understand and will respond to. We have legal rights.

This is about far more than no updates. This is about a fiasco of a phone that has never performed up to its standards. It is about a dismal failure and they *knew* it from the gate. They began by giving them away. As far as I am concerned, they owe me a top of the line Android phone that works! The Behold2 isn't that phone.

The so-called update that was issued has done NOTHING to remedy the lackluster performance of this beautiful brick. Spontaneous reboots, incessant dropped calls, random dialing out of another number while you are already IN a call...I could go on. And Sammy doesn't seem to care. So we need to speak with them in language that they DO understand.

And all the bought-off lemmings know what they can do! Give some suckers a free phone and they will kiss your rear forever. smh.

Upvote 0
You can't sue someone for "Potential Future Features". It's like "Your Mileage May Vary" or "Card Subject To Change".

This isn't a case where we bought a 2.1 phone and have been forced to 1.5. This isn't like Sony removing Linux support from existing PS3s (three seperate class actions for that, BTW).

All Samsung has to do is show that it is too cost prohibitive or that performance of the device would in some way be hurt by upgrading to 2.1 to get out of a lawsuit, regardless of what we think.

No you can't sue for not updating but false advertising is definitely something someone can sue for. As for samsung only having to show that upgrading would have a negative effect wouldn't exactly be as easy as you think.

Upvote 0
I hit up the Tmo Twitter account and refused to back down until I got a proper answer...Unfortunately it was one that seemed to be positive.

TMobile_USA
@OhgamiIchiro Thank you for the feedback, we are actively working on updates with Samsung and stay tuned right here for all the latest. ^CG

I gave them a thank you but I really think it was more a play to get me off their back.

Upvote 0
Yup but I already made up my mind. I'm jumpin to a Slide like you...I usually have good luck with RED Phones. My last 2 I owned were Red Japanese phones and I got lots of miles out of them. Oh and I was told the Screen was glass which made me happy.

Um, Never even thought about the Screen on it... Just seemed smooth & felt Nice.. So I don't recall even thinking about it..

Upvote 0
For what it is worth I just emailed the following letter. I hold no illusions as to receiving an answer, but had to try none the less. I sent the email to the following email address':

kweise@webershandwick.com; eju.hwang@samsung.com; amy.grenek@edelman.com; samsungmobilePR@mww.com

If anyone has other email addresses to try please share.

To whom it may concern:

Several months ago (December 2009) I purchased a Behold II cell phone. I will forever regret that decision. My phone is a piece of crap, not worth the parts it is made from. I have had to master reset the phone numerous time, and deal with the phone "resetting the SD card" and totally wiping all information from said card on a weekly basis. I have had to resort to backing up my SD card information on a daily basis in fears that the information will be lost. What next backing up hourly? I have dealt with Samsung customer service it is not there fault as I purchased the phone from T-Mobile. I have had T-Mobile tell me it is not there problem because it is a Samsung phone. So what, am I stuck with a $250 paperweight?

I have just learned that supposedly Samsung has no plans to update said phones OS software even though they said they would in the past. This phone is a piece of crap, I know it, Samsumg knows it and the numerous customers who purchased the phone know it.

I have fulfilled my part of the bargain, purchased and paid for a Samsung II behold phone, I now expect Samsung to uphold their part and bring the phone up to usable standards that are on par with the $250 I paid for the phone. If Samsung cannot bring the phone to usable standards then I formally demand my money back. Please do not tell me that since I purchased the phone from T-Mobile it is their problem, it is a Samsung phone, built by Samsung, sold by Samsung and updated by Samsung (the latest update back in March/April) therefore this makes it Samsungs problem. T-Mobile is only the middle man selling the piece of crap to the public.

Again, I demand my money back ($250), will send Samsung its lackluster, piece of crap, phone back and promise NEVER to purchase Samsung products again. I further promise and swear to get rid of all Samsung products I currently own - Samsung Laptop, Samsung (t339 cell phone), Samsung Computer Monitor (32" flat screen).

If you should have any questions please feel free to contact me at:

xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx

Please realise that should you call I may not be able to answer because you will be calling my Behold II and it has a NASTY habit of either not connecting or just plain dropping calls (and no it is not a T-Mobile problem, because my Motorola RAZR NEVER had this problem). Please leave a message and I will call you back from another cell or from an archaic land line.

Reactions: NowVoyager
Upvote 0
telling them the phone is a "piece of crap" over and over again is not going to help. after all if the phone is such a piece of crap and, as you put it, samsung knows it, then why would samsung waste the money to fix the software issues. if like you claim everyone knows the phone sucks and hates it of course samsung will drop support for it...duh. the fact is there is nothing wrong with this phone that software upgrades can't fix including switching to a more stable os, as 1.5 is buggy. if enough people show passionate interest and a desire to keep the phone then maybe samsung will throw a bone, but not when people act like this.

Upvote 0
Bh, thank you for the reality check. I just lost all my info on the SD Card for the umpteenth time and needed to vent. Probably not in the best useful way possible.

I find these forums helpful and useful. I am wondering if rooting my phone will take care of some of these problems. Also, if i root, that will not cause me to loose my cell service from T-Mobile will it?
I am new to this kind of stuff and any info would be helpful

Again thanks.

Upvote 0
Bh, thank you for the reality check. I just lost all my info on the SD Card for the umpteenth time and needed to vent. Probably not in the best useful way possible.

I find these forums helpful and useful. I am wondering if rooting my phone will take care of some of these problems. Also, if i root, that will not cause me to loose my cell service from T-Mobile will it?
I am new to this kind of stuff and any info would be helpful

Again thanks.

You don't owe anyone one an apology. Your words were heartfelt and on point given our daily situation. And since, as it is said that Samsung KNEW (Knows) that the Behold 2 is "a piece of crap" they are all the more liable. I had to force format my SD card yet again this very morning. More data loss. I am not the one to patsy around with regarding my money nor my insulted intelligence "we appreciate your continued interest in our products"...yeah right :rolleyes:

You need to realize that some people in this forum are company people, sent here to do damage control. Some of them got their phones for FREE. No loss to them. Take that under advisement.

And furthermore, regarding the bbb, they have nothing to do with it. Our collective letters need to go to 7 On Your Side and other Consumer media watchdog outlets. The sooner, the better.

In fact, I think that we need to get outside of this forum and onto the Internet with our plight so that the world can see how Samsung treats its customer base and how horrible this phone is. I'll bet SOMEBODY who is responsible for their bottom line will want to talk with us. We at this point seem small. But lets turn up the volume on this situation and see what the end will be.

Media attention persuaded facebook to change its privacy policies overnight. Media attention allowed 3 mothers to see their jailed children in a foreign land while governments are at a stalemate about it. Media attention influenced the mighty Apple to lower its initial prices on the iPhone - Unthinkable so soon after a launch (and much to the consternation of early adopters). It was media attention that finally got that Japanese car company to recall its faulty cars of late...even though many people had reported acceleration issues to the company...It was the sight of that one car on the highway with the police car, being shown over and over on station after station that forced their hand. It was media attention that finally brought to light what was happening to men in dark alleys at the hands of policemen when Rodney King was shown being beaten as the officers encircled him, brutalized and taunted him. And it will be media attention that makes phone companies stand behind their products and do right by their customers. Media attention.

Bloggers blog about it. YouTubers, YouTube it like an unboxing. Do a "state of the phone" video diary. Combine with other like-minded BH2 owners. Agree. And get to the media.

P.S. Rooting is a temporary fix to this phone's real problems. Even BH_Man has come to a halt on it due in part to some proprietary issues of the BH2. And why should you *have* to root a $230 phone to get it to work the way that it *should* have out of the box?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones