Being a lil sneaky to get a Droid X?

Last Updated:

1. Chiups

Chiups Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I recently, by chance found the last Incredible at my local best buy. And now with the upcoming DX release I feel that it will better satisfy my needs. The problem is my 30 days is up in a few days, so I can either sell/return my Incredible and be left phoneless until the 15th. OR I can return my Incredible, pick up a Droid until the 15th then return that and get the Droid X. Do you guys think this would work? Or is it too much of a hassle?

Advertisement
  2. schmunkey

schmunkey Active Member

Do you have to pay restocking fees at BB?

3. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

I know at verizon you can only exchange once so i would check with bestbuy to make sure you can exchange more then once

4. Chiups

Thats definitely something that I will look into.

5. dennygreen

dennygreen Well-Known Member

I'm in sort of the same situation in that I just cancelled my landline yesterday as I had planned back when I was assuming I would get an Incredible and sign a 1 year contract with verizon. Of course, there weren't any Incredibles to be had so I'll get the X on the 15th but for now I'm pretty much phoneless.

I was thinking about just going to best buy to get the 50.00 gift card to reserve my x and use it to pick up something like an original droid, then return it to get credit toward getting the X on the 15th.

Would that work? Whats the deal with the restocking fees and such?
    I've never dealt with Verizon or Best Buy's mobile department at all.

6. NetherAngel

NetherAngel Member

Indirect retailers are the same as well, one exchange 35 dollar restock fee @ verizon, not sure restock fee of indirect.

7. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Not sure if indirects are the same, but you only get 30 days from the original purchase date. You don't get a new 30 days after you exchange the first one

8. odiej34

odiej34 Well-Known Member

I did this when i returned my incredible. I had a droid form bb for 29 days and then returned it and went costco and got another. Only verizon (IN Store, on line or over the phone) limits you to two times, you could do this every 30days if you wanted to.

9. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Unless you folks have found a loop-hole, carriers and VZW work together to assure only one device exchange. May be an exception if due to faulty devices, but just a guess.

10. odiej34

I talked to a customer service rep at verizon(*611) and he advised me that the return policy is up to each indvidual store. We will find out for sure on the fifteenth. Costco will let you exchange for a new phone every thirty days if you want to. (Kind of frowned apon but still possible)

11. odiej34

I just called customer service. Again and the nice lady told me that outside of verizon i could return my phone as many times as i would like under the worry free guarantee. Hope that helps.

12. Chiups

I went to them and the person at BB mobile told me that because my contract began on 5/11 I would be able to return the phone but she wouldnt be able to get a new phone at contract price, which I think it total BS so I'm gonna take myself to another BB and return it there.

13. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you only get one 30-day return window. With the rate cool Android phones are being released these days, if you had multiple opportunities you could get a new phone every month until the end of the year!

14. odiej34

I'm on my third. Had the Incredible (via verizon) (Phone # 1) returned it before my 30 days was up and used my kids envy 3 for 4 hours and could not take it any more. I then went to best buy and got a Moto Droid (Phone # 2) to tide me over until the x came out. When the 30 days came up I went to B.B and returned it and went strait to Costco and got another Droid. (Phone # 3) It is going back on the 14th and I will get an x on the 15th. (Notice how I did not stay at one place and went to 3 different venders) Hope that helps.
    Odie

15. odiej34

Yeah it sounds like your 30 days expired. I don't think there is any way around that, sorry.

P.S.
    I re read your first post and realised that maybe your 30 days has not expired yet? Why did your contract start on 5-11? Simply return your phone before 30 days is up and go to costco (no re stocking fee) or verizon if you have to.

16. Aookay

Aookay Well-Known Member

It's 30 days from the original purchase, so you wouldn't be able to do it. You would have to return the phone, reverse your upgrade (or cancel the line), and redo it on the 15th. No restocking fee (I saw that somewhere in here too), but the exchange policy is two times for Best Buy Mobile. Hope that helps :)

17. tats_06

tats_06 Well-Known Member

I know that with whole Inc shortage, vzw has been giving people 60 days to return or exchange the device...now only ONE exchange is allowed within that time frame. ;)