• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root benefits of rooting (if phone is working ok)

Realistically speaking as of right now aside from optimizations and small fixes, there is no real need to root. APKs such as Live wallpaper, HQ Youtube, and the 3d gallery can all be pushed. Installing kernels such as Meat Kernel source is more for the benchmarking of Linpack and for Wifi tethering. Optimizations I mentioned, are ones that were ported from the Intercept and Acclaim. For things like a better and more reliable GPS signal, battery life, and the CDMA lockup issue. Since using the Acclaim libs on the Moment, I haven't had one lockup yet. As of right now, rooting has almost no actual benefit to add anything to the phone. AFAIK Sprint is planning on a small update along with Samsung that would fix some of the issues with the Moment, but no new kernel or android system. The big benefit of rooting is when 2.2 is out for the Intercept, which should be back ported to the Moment as well. Intercept rom boots on the Moment already, just needs the correct drivers for the rest of the system. Aside from that, something that can free up some memory and resources is getting rid of stock apps. Other than that I can only think of cosmetic stuff like themes and boot logos.

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones