• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Benefits of rooting the X10

Rerooted today and it sees to work fine. I haven't been able to remove Mediascape but I'll give it another try tomorrow. It should be easy enough since I did it the last time i rooted the phone. :)

Market works fine now that I haven't deleted gmail. :)

I can't say anything about batterytime since I've been fiddeling with the phone too much. :-D

I had an issue with buddyrunner but I think maybe it was the autokill in Task Manager whitch I now have turned off. I've also added BR to the ignore list so I'll give it another go. :)

EDIT: I use Handcent sms app. Can I remove the built in app or will this mess up things?

Upvote 0
No idea but again my advice is...

If you mess it up just re-root it, but make sure you save a copy of the cleanup "edite you have now before you remove the sock app. then if it goes bad re-root and copy and paste the old cleanup edit and then you know it will go back to how it is now.

Oh and check out this thread in the root section I started http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-x10/120418-have-you-rooted.html

Upvote 0
I'm thinking of rooting mine later on but, I thought of a couple of questions while in bed, trying to sleep :p.

If I root it and remove timescape/mediascape, with the phone rooted, is there a Photos/Music option on the phone menu, like there is on the Desire?
Also, are the icons in the menu, eg settings, is that X10/SE specific, or is it because of the Android version? My settings button/icon is different to the settings button/icon on my partners Desire. At first I thought it was because of the different version of Android but, it does look like Sony Ericsson's settings icon.
And, the smilies that are used in text messages, if rooted, do they change to the little green Android guy, or do they stay the same like :), instead of
happy.gif
. I only saw that on my partners phone when I asked if the smilies came as images, or just the symbols. To be disappointed that I'm stuck with SE's smilies instead of the Android ones :(.

Silly as it may be, it's the last reason which is why I'm wanting to root if a rooted one gets the cute smilies :p.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking of rooting mine later on but, I thought of a couple of questions while in bed, trying to sleep :p.

If I root it and remove timescape/mediascape, with the phone rooted, is there a Photos/Music option on the phone menu, like there is on the Desire?
Also, are the icons in the menu, eg settings, is that X10/SE specific, or is it because of the Android version? My settings button/icon is different to the settings button/icon on my partners Desire. At first I thought it was because of the different version of Android but, it does look like Sony Ericsson's settings icon.
And, the smilies that are used in text messages, if rooted, do they change to the little green Android guy, or do they stay the same like :), instead of
happy.gif
. I only saw that on my partners phone when I asked if the smilies came as images, or just the symbols. To be disappointed that I'm stuck with SE's smilies instead of the Android ones :(.

Silly as it may be, it's the last reason which is why I'm wanting to root if a rooted one gets the cute smilies :p.

You can't remove Timescape. If you do then you can't access phonebook. I just force closes on you.

Reactions: Bexy
Upvote 0
Got it. I've removed a few apps like Timescape, Mediascape etc.

Problem now is I can't download from Market. It says starting download (or something. I use norwegian). I've tried both wifi and 3G. Surfing works fine.

EDIT: Come to think of it I deleted gmail. I guess that's why. How can I get it back?

There is a market fix on the xda forums.
And you shouldn't have removed Timescape. Everyone who's removed it so far merely causes their Phonebook to force close every time they try to view a contact.

Upvote 0
There is a market fix on the xda forums.
And you shouldn't have removed Timescape. Everyone who's removed it so far merely causes their Phonebook to force close every time they try to view a contact.

I installed the market fix, but it was the gmail missing that caused my problem. :)

I've removed timescape and I have no problems with the phonebook. I can view the contacts and edit them just fine. :)

But I guess I've removed something I shouldn't have. When I restart the phone I get this message: "Sorry! The process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." I've removed gtalkservice so maybe that's it. I haven't got any other messages or problems so I don't know what this problem can cause.

EDIT: Market doesn't work so I guess I'll reroot again. :)
Is there a way to make a full backup of settings and icons on the homescreen before I reroot?

Upvote 0
Gurba if you go into the settings for adw there is an option to back up all your settings from from icon layout to tweaks and every type of customizeation.

Its a bit to easy to get carried away with removing stuff and over doing it :)

Cool. :)

Yes it is. In an effort to preserve battery I got carried away. Rooted 3 times today and haven't removed anything extra than the cleanup list from XDA. I have previously removed timescape and mediascape without noticing problems with anything else so I guess I'll try to remove them once more. It was after ditching some android apps the problems started so I'll leave those alone until I find a list showing whitch ones I can remove. :)

Upvote 0
Nice post powerkiter but I also have to agree with the above, I've rooted several times in the past and even now I can't really see much improvements in the in call volume. done both rooted firmwares before.. currently on rooted r2ba023!

Gurba, there is an easy option to uninstall stock apps.. its an app called titanium backup. its also useful in backing up apps data/settings! although prior notice from personal experience, restoring any backups you make on default stock apps won't work seen as restore option doesn't show up even though you pressed backup!

Now onto removal (personal experiences)
1) Mediascape - caused no issue whatsoever.. using meridian media player as replacement for videos/music (has a nice widget) and justpictures for images!
2) Timescape - caused problems when viewing contact details as mentioned above, however certain people use replacements such as acontacts, takephone and so forth. however you are fine if you want to uninstal the themes.
3) G talk service - causes problems when it comes to market, downloading stalls from the very beginning.. I just leave the google stuff altogether.
4) Messaging - although I had chompsms as a default replacement, when I uninstalled this I noticed that I wasn't receiving all my messages so now i dont bother removing it!
5) Alarm clock - again had a replacement app, wasn't really a big issue but used to get the odd errors now and again although no other problems whatsoever.
6) Email - don't really used it so got rid of it, had no problems!
7) Moxier mail - same as above!
8) Browser - use dolphin browser so got rid of this.. again no issues!!
9) Default stock launcher - use adw instead.. works well

besides them I've got rid of several other things such as trackid, playnow and face recognition service without a problem.

Anyways, do it at your own risk.. just thought id share my findings!!

Also for those are rooted.. suggested apps
1) Setcpu - adjust cpu for different occasions to help preserve more battery life..
2) Barnacle wifi tether - turn your phones 3g into a wifi hotspot! to make this app work.. once installed, go to settings then enter in the lan box, athwlan0
3) Titanium backup - backup apps aswel as restore data/settings for apps.. useful for after flashing or just keeping certain backup of settings..
4) Adfree - removes most ads found in apps!
5) Root explorer - to view all contents on your phone and do many other things such as run script commands, search, remount and so forth
6) Shootme - run app, once its good to go.. shake device for screenshot of your phone!

Hope it helps!

Reactions: Bexy and Gurba
Upvote 0
Unless you want to tweak the nuts out of your phone just hang back for the update to come to you. If you want to be a bit of a geek and change your fonts and a few other settings and be able to remove more apps then root but I cant offer a 100% guarantee that you will be able to flash back in terms of warranty especialy if you knacker the back button which is used to enter flash mode so no back button no flash mode no reset!

Upvote 0
Eish.... Sounds tempting but frightening at the same time :) Would love to get rid of some apps as nothing irritates me more, that opening your camera, and 50 other apps (like moxier for eg) run in the background.

I DO love my X10, only gripe is that every bleeding app wants to open and run in the background, and you have to download another app to keep killing these off...

Maybe one day when Im brave enough Ill try rooting :)

Upvote 0
knacker the back button?! lol u must b having a laugh mate..

Anyways as far as warranty goes, there are methods although its slightly more complicated than it used to be after they updated their pc software.
For me, i notice my phones a bit more responsive, don't really need to mess with taskillers anymore, just keep it for the odd occasions lol as for battery, it runs fine although my 3g/wifi drain more than it should.. but that's been like that before I rooted n al, so can't help ya much there!

Upvote 0
Anyone?
Got the names of apps to use to replace mediascape now and know not delete TimeScape now :p. How bout the other Qs?

I want to root to find out but, idk how to unroot if it's not to my liking. Otherwise I'll root tomorrow :).

happy.gif

Upvote 0
For music there are a whole host of music/video/picture view apps on the market but there was no default music app after the root and you dont get the android smiley's after root either but then I left the text side of things alone as I mainly wanted to free up more space on my phone and get the R2***23 for battery life as I could only get around 6 hours out of the phone.

Upvote 0
For music there are a whole host of music/video/picture view apps on the market but there was no default music app after the root and you dont get the android smiley's after root either but then I left the text side of things alone as I mainly wanted to free up more space on my phone and get the R2***23 for battery life as I could only get around 6 hours out of the phone.
Damn, I like that little guy :(.

Might do it anyway. My battery life improved but now it's gone to poo again, charging it every day :(.

I used Titanium and removed Timescape and it's themes and Mediascape today. So far no problems and I can edit phonebook contacts like before.

I recommend MixZing as music app. Loads better than Mediascape. You can make playlists too.
Yeah I've got MixZing already and use it 99% of the time I want to listen to music :).

Upvote 0
I'm gonna have to retract the statement about not having any problems with phonebook after removing Timescape and Mediascape. But nothing big enough to make me re-root again anytime soon.

i think timescape is nice and i use it a lot on x10 and mini.....

but then you root x10 and get a ota update when you then update will root be gone ? can you then root again with the new update?

Upvote 0
i think timescape is nice and i use it a lot on x10 and mini.....

but then you root x10 and get a ota update when you then update will root be gone ? can you then root again with the new update?

Liker ikke Timescape. ;)

I don't like Timescape.

I can't update my phone via SEUS anymore. Must re-install original firmware to do that I guess. You must choose between a rooting and original firmware. But I guess the rooters will have an updated firmware too.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum and posted a few questions about this before i even found this thread. I'm getting a new smartphone on Sunday, and now that this thread is here, I think it's going to be an X10. Especially since it dropped down to $100 over the last week :D. You'll probably be hearing more from me as i try to root my phone and what i can do with it.
I'm excited :D

Upvote 0
So now I've re-rooted my phone to correct a few errors. Now I'll start removing unwanted apps again but I have one Q. If I backup i.e. Timescape with Titanium can I re-install it if I remove it? I won't be removing Mediascape this time since that causes problems with some apps but I would like to get rid of Timescape but I don't know if that causes problems too so I want to be able to re-install it without re-rooting yet again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones