Benefits of rooting without installing custom Roms?

Last Updated:

1. wankingweiner

wankingweiner Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just wanted to know if there are any benefits of rooting without installing custom roms? Now i've seen many threads here listing many benefits but its not clear whether u get those extra features from the custom roms or just from being rooted.

So i was to root my phone and then leave the stock rom on, what extra would i be able to do?

Advertisement
  2. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Well, for starters, it depends a lot on what your device is. Some devices are required to downgrade to 1.5 in order to root, so rooting and leaving the stock rom on would have a negative effect.

If that's not the case, say if you have a Nexus or Droid, then leaving it stock would still allow you to add apps that require root, such as the screen capture apps, Titanium Backup, SetCPU, etc. You would also be able to apply custom theme, add or delete ringtones, and make other changes to the phone's system.

While you'd still most likely be losing out on an increase in speed and smoother screen transitions without a custom rom, if you don't have to downgrade the rom itself staying stock wouldn't be a major deal (until there's an OTA upgrade that you can't apply).

On the other hand, once you've rooted, flashing a custom rom is a piece of cake.

dtuskey1 likes this.
  3. wankingweiner

thanks for the response InstantKarma.

Im looking to get the Desire btw so i dont think downgrading is necessary. I have another question though, if i root and leave the custom rom on, would i be able to install OTA updates from HTC? Or would i have to "unroot" (if thats possible)?

4. InstantKarma

No, with a custom rom you wouldn't get OTA updates. As I understand it, when that happens you can unroot, or wait for an updated version of a custom rom.

Here's an interesting thread on rooting the Desire.

Root the desire? - xda-developers

5. wankingweiner

I think you misunderstood my post. Would i be able to install new updates if i root my phone but have the stock Rom install, not a custom Rom.

Im totally new to the android scene and this will be my first android phone. I want to root but dont want to take such a huge step by installing a whole new rom as well. Well maybe not at first.

6. InstantKarma

No, I didn't misunderstand, I forgot. lol Sorry, I'm tired as hell (I work nights) and mildly senile. :D

That might make a difference, but I don't know for sure one way or the other. I'm pretty new to rooting and custom roms, myself.

7. wankingweiner

ah ok lol

So anyone else know?

8. Lutherian

Lutherian New Member

Hi all.
    I have a question that fits under this thread nicely.
    I've rooted my phone (latest unrevoke).
    All I want is to use app2cd, I'm happy with the stock standard HTC Sense on Desire. (Could someone give me pointers on how to format my SD card - from what I understand I need a fat, and ext3 and a swap partition.)
    Would this allow app2cd to work?
    Thanks

9. InstantKarma

You do know that you can move apps to the sdcard with 2.2, right?

But to answer your question, at least partially: your sdcard is already formatted to fat32 or it wouldn't be working. I don't know how to set up partitions with Clockwork, but it should be fairly straight forward when you're in recovery.