• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Benefits of the $350 non-contract price?

thx10538

Jul 6, 2010
I just want to start talking about the Captivate being $350 off contract. That is impressively low...but now that I think about it, what are the real advantages to that? Spending $150 to be able to switch to T-Mobile? Being able to upgrade to another phone earlier?

I agree that being tied to a contract sucks, but at the same time, I usually use a phone for 2 years, then its probably outdated or slow or broken or boring and I upgrade with my contract. It's cool that this phone is only slightly more non-contract...but I want to hear some of y'alls opinions as to why that's better

If its really only $350 off contract im buying it. I am eligable to upgrade now, but like you said if another really cool phone comes out in six months, I can get it if its expensive without contract, and even at that point I wouldnt sign a 2 year contract. I like one year contracts. I get bored of phones after a year and want the new and best phone out there.

just my $.02

Upvote 0
I'm not sure this really needed a thread..... What are the advantages of a lower price? Why do you need someone else to answer that for you. Would you rather pay $350 or $600. If you chose $350 then, why? There's your answer.

I wasn't asking the advantages of it being cheaper, I was asking if its worth the $150 to not be tied to the contract. I'm not sure if I see it as worth it because I'm probably not going to change my plan in two years anyway

Upvote 0
The only real advantage with the non-contract price is if AT&T does something that really upsets you then you can walk away.
There can be other reasons like you live in a large market where Verizon will be rolling out LTE later this year. And right now AT&T has better speed but when the change comes then Verizon will have the better speed.
As as the fact that AT&T has not supported android very well and if the phone is rooted that will not be as big a deal to us. But it allows you to leave then also.

Upvote 0
I have never understand why people are fascinated with off-contract prices either, just seems dumb to me. But, it has saved me a ton of money, as I have sold every used device I have had on Ebay for way more than they were ever worth brand new :thinking:

Based on AT&T page, they claim the ETF is $175 minus $5/month that you keep the contract. So if you buy the device with a 2-year contract and then 3 months later decide to leave for Verizon. You would owe $160 but can sell the device on Ebay for probably $200-400 easily covering the fees. Of course the really big question will be the difference between off-contract and on-contract pricing.

All my Blackberries were FREE & I have always sold each "used" device for over $200 (well except one with a broken screen from a motorcylce accident, but I got $80 for it :eek:

ATT Captivate policy

Upvote 0
I have never understand why people are fascinated with off-contract prices either, just seems dumb to me. But, it has saved me a ton of money, as I have sold every used device I have had on Ebay for way more than they were ever worth brand new :thinking:

Based on AT&T page, they claim the ETF is $175 minus $5/month that you keep the contract. So if you buy the device with a 2-year contract and then 3 months later decide to leave for Verizon. You would owe $160 but can sell the device on Ebay for probably $200-400 easily covering the fees. Of course the really big question will be the difference between off-contract and on-contract pricing.

All my Blackberries were FREE & I have always sold each "used" device for over $200 (well except one with a broken screen from a motorcylce accident, but I got $80 for it :eek:

ATT Captivate policy

No this is a smartphone so the ETF is $325-10 per month.

Upvote 0
No this is a smartphone so the ETF is $325-10 per month.
I agree that is the AT&T policy, but if you follow the link I posted, that is NOT what AT&T is offering :D

Copied from the link I posted earlier:

"Limited-time offer. Other conditions and restrictions apply. See contract and rate plan brochure for details. Subscriber must live and have a mailing address within AT&T’s owned wireless network coverage area. Up to $36 activation fee applies. Equipment price and availability may vary by market and may not be available from independent retailers. Early Termination Fee: None if cancelled in the first 30 days, but up to $35 restocking fee may apply to equipment returns; thereafter up to $175"

Upvote 0

ATT Captivate policy

The case is that usually most people aren't available for an upgrade.

Upvote 0
The reason I would do this off contract is $350 is very cheap for a high level smart phone. This would be $150 over the one on contract price. I could a year from now get another smart phone that cost $600 with no contract for the normal $200 contracted price. If I take the contract price now I will have to go two years. I am pretty rough on a phone and a year or so is their life expectancy. I can not believe that the off contract price for this phone is really going to be $350.

Upvote 0
My plan was to jump to LTE when the super-duperphones come out and mature later this year or early next year. If I get this off contract, I can have an awesome phone to use in the meantime (that might ultimately cause me to decide I don't need to upgrade again) and which I can give to a family member or friend on AT&T if I do decide to switch later, while still being able to pick up that super-duperphone + LTE contract at subsidized price.

Reactions: thx10538
Upvote 0
My plan was to jump to LTE when the super-duperphones come out and mature later this year or early next year. If I get this off contract, I can have an awesome phone to use in the meantime (that might ultimately cause me to decide I don't need to upgrade again) and which I can give to a family member or friend on AT&T if I do decide to switch later, while still being able to pick up that super-duperphone + LTE contract at subsidized price.

Now ^THAT was a good post. That is a decent reason to get the phone off contract: so you can upgrade to a 4G phone when they roll out.

Not a bad idea

Upvote 0
Now ^THAT was a good post. That is a decent reason to get the phone off contract: so you can upgrade to a 4G phone when they roll out.

Not a bad idea

Here is the trick with that. AT&T does not even plan to start deploying LTE until 2011. And if you are the main line on a family plan or on a signle line and are paying enough you will get an upgrade in 1 year anyway. I would expect to not see any markets for AT&T turned on until 2H 2011 and maybe even into Q4 2011 so very late in the year. And unless you happen to live in one of those lucky few places to get it first LTE will do no good. And even then if you are in the position I mentioned you will be able to upgrade anyway.

Upvote 0
Check with your work with discounts. Mine had a thing with att that I get 35% of the full retail price of the phone. Most of the time, it's not a good deal, but with the captivate it is. 35% of the $350 makes it about $230 for me! I don't have to sign a new contract and I keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan (i think). Wohoo! So I can get the top att android phone and maybe do another upgrade in 6months or whenever something better comes out. Then I turn around and flip this phone on ebay or craigslist and possibly break even. win win.

Upvote 0
I just posted this in another thread, sorry to those of you who have to read my posts twice, but I realized that this is a better place to discuss.

I am going to buy an iphone 4, on contract, sell it for the $800+ going price, buy a captivate off contract, and make $450+.

Why doesn't everyone do this? You get a better phone than an iphone 4 (in my humble opinion) and get paid $450.

I really do hope that the Captivate sells off contract for $350, seems too good to be true.

Upvote 0
Why would anyone pay $800 when they can buy it from ATT for $599(16GB) and $699(32GB)?

flag-of-canada.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones