Benefits to rooting right now...

Last Updated:

1. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wasn't sure if I should put this in a new thread or in the Ask Questions thread so please feel free to move it where it should go.

I want to root my Ally, but I am unsure of the steps and i'm worried about screwing up my phone, but being a techie kind of guy, curiosity is getting the better of me and i've already taken steps to root at some point. I loaded a copy of Ubuntu on a spare computer I have (nice OS btw) and started familiarizing myself with the terminal and such. I've also read the other threads with the directions and am trying to figure out exactly the order of things, how exactly to backup properly, when I should have the phone plugged in, not plugged in, etc.

But here's my dilema. I don't quite understand the benefits of rooting at this time so i'm going to ask a few, probably stupid, questions. Once I root this thing, what can I do with it rooted right now? Will it give me the ability to remove some of the stock garbarge apps I couldn't remove before, like Socialite, Amazon, MySpace, etc. or will I still have to wait for some other root capability to remove those things? Besides the junk apps, what other things can I do with a rooted phone? And probably most important, when Android, Verizon or LG releases some kind of update, will having my phone rooted prevent me from installing those updates or will I be able to go back to a non-rooted phone in order to install any updates and then root back?

I'm just trying to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot here because my phone really has run perfectly and I don't want to hose it up just because i'm naturally curious about rooting and I go and do something stupid.

Advertisement
  2. cdsmith

cdsmith Well-Known Member

First of all, I wouldn't worry about screwing up your phone. The steps to root are very straight-forward, and we are NOT talking about custom ROMs or anything right now; just plain old root access. Custom ROMs are almost certain to brick your phone if they are messed up. Screwing up this process really has a worst-case scenario of just not working. As long as you don't overwrite anything that's already there, it would be hard to break very much. Apps are a different matter, though: there are certainly some apps out there that *will* brick your phone if you give them root access. So don't worry about the rooting, but worry about what you grant root access to afterward.

As far as benefits, the things I've done so far are:

(a) Installed a clock speed app (OverclockWidget), which could *not* overclock the CPU, but could underclock it to save battery life. Not very interesting; uninstalled.

(b) Installed BusyBox, which is a set of command-line tools, and poked around at the command line via ConnectBot. Interesting, but only if you were just curious.

(c) Looked around for Wifi tether, found an app called Barnacle Wifi Tether. It appears to work all the way up to actually opening a web browser on your computer, and then I don't get any data transfer.

(d) Deleted the built-in MySpace app. This is the only unqualified success in the bunch!

3. cdsmith

Oh yeah, as for the update question. I would be very surprised if the mere presence of Superuser.apk and su on the system (which is all we're doing) prevents an update from happening. It *is* possible that updating to 2.2 will unroot your phone. It's even possible LG will patch the loophole used by asroot2, so that you won't be able to root it again. But I consider it unlikely enough to be not worth worrying about this root process breaking your update.

Where updates break is in the next step, which is custom ROMs. Those *will* very likely prevent you from getting updates from LG... but they don't exist yet for the Ally anyway!

4. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the answers, but if the only stock app you've been able to remove so far is MySpace, then it might not be worth rooting right now. I was hoping to be able to remove a lot of them.

5. cdsmith

To be fair, MySpace is the only one I tried to remove. It's fairly easy to remove most anything you want: Once you've remounted system as rw, find the WhateverApp.apk file in /system/app, and rename it to WhateverApp.apk.junk.

6. marcus531

marcus531 Member

Note than android apps share / borrow routines from each other ... if X is expected to be there, and Y uses sub#17 from X, removing X breaks Y.

DO NOT DELETE ... move or copy until you are certain that you don't break something important (like voice input or something) ... you have no clue (nor do I) what apps borrow what code from what until you try it, so be safe and don't throw stuff away.