Besides OC and Deleting Stock Apps, What Have You Done?

Last Updated:

1. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member This Topic's Starter

You've rooted your Eris and over clocked. You've also used a root file manager to pare down the app drawer to your liking.

What else have you done that you could not have done with your non-rooted device?

Advertisement
  2. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

i created my own rom :p

3. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I tried out every rom avail. once that was done I reached out to Devs, and now am currently testing for a few. I looked into the different MODs, theres a bunch, pretty neat. Now I am doing my research trying to figure out how to do themes.

4. Frisco

Back before the OTA, when leaks were the only 2.1s we were hearing about, rooting was being mentioned as a response to many concerns being posted around the forums.

Somebody would talk about something they wish they could change in the Eris, and inevitably "wait for root!" would show up in the thread.

So far I've seen only two things readily being done by rooters: over clocking their CPU and using a root file manager to delete certain apps provided in the app drawer that they know they'd never use.

Looking into themes seems nice, but that is available to non-rooted devices via the "scenes" and other available things coming along, such as icons.

I was thinking that we may see posts in here from Eris users who have rooted and found that some of the bugs they experienced non-rooted could be eradicated once rooted.

5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

How about installing root-only apps (I've grabbed a couple).

I've got the wi-fi hotspot in my back pocket...

...and, most importantly, hoping root-cooked 2.2 will reach my Eris since I'm not sure we would see if over "official" channels.

So, its not just things we've done, but the doors that are left open to us.

Thanks.

6. Frisco

Yep.. the root only apps open new doors. Which ones do you have?

So far the root command line terminal, root file manager and SetCPU are the only three I've acquired.

7. scary alien

drocap2 (screen capture utility)...I've got a few others that I've recently downloaded, but now I'm not sure they were root-required (wifi analyzer and netcounter).

8. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

root required apps that I use are:
    Boot animation changer, cache cleaner, Erase market history, metamorph,
    sure you can theme using "scenes" without root,
    but you can't metamorph to use the circle battery, or use ASOP vanilla ROMs, to change status bar, or using vanilla ROM to get the moto droid screen while on a call.
    There are many many plus's to root. And it just keeps getting better and better every day!!!

Frisco likes this.
  9. Frisco

Great info for a rooting n00b (r00b?).. thank you for sharing.

10. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

You're very welcome Frisco, I'm happy to help in any way possible, I would be on 1.5 still if it wasn't for the great people here..
    r00b - hahahahaha That's hilarious man!!

One quick side not
    Andrizoid just posted up a .zip, that can be flashed through recovery, on any ROM!! - to remap the search soft key to camera!! and can be edited to other things

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/107885-remap-search-sofkey-camera.html

really cool I think,,, I just flashed to Ivans 1.0 and worked like a charm!

11. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Yes, but I didn't need to do anything but flash a ROM to get that. No more FC on open of the web browser; no more inability to dismiss a calendar alert autosnoozing every 5 minutes; no more slow dialer.

I do one of two things: add the vanilla Android keyboard, because the HTC one is laggy no matter what I do; or overclock/underclock on the ROMs that support it. I don't want to fiddle too much beyond getting the ROM installed. Oh, and WiFi tether (though I haven't actually used it yet.)

12. Frisco

Yes, nothing like wiping to get rid of stock, non-hardware related bugs. ;)

13. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

Vanilla non-transparent lockscreen! :) And added the circle battery from Kevlar's MM theme (not pictured below).

[​IMG]

14. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

Well, I changed my HTC lock screen to be semi-transparent:

[​IMG]

And with regard to removing stock apps, I think that might actually be the most useful part of rooting for me.

Using a typical Sense-based ROM, did you know that you have two copies of Maps on your phone, one in /system/app and one in /data/app? Same goes for Vending and Facebook. The 2.1 software came with those apps pre-installed in /system/app, but then new versions were downloaded from the market... into /data/app! You can safely remove the /system/app copies and free up 6MB of space.

ttran97 likes this.
  15. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

WiFi Tethering

16. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

17. abn75

abn75 Well-Known Member

Hummm lets see, other than flashing just about every single rom out there, over clocking, and removing all the bloatware...I have edited my framework-res several times, changed a majority of the pngs for my apps, pushed apk's, root only apps and constantly messing with the phone..nandroid is my friend lol.

18. scary alien

dude (thenestor), did you realize you have a tiny white dog (extremely cute, btw) sleeping on your phone (lol :eek:)--doesn't that make it hard to type? :D

very nice, by the way...

thenestor likes this.