Best 100 companies to work for

1. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog Moderator

Advertisement
    :
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  2. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Well-Known Member

I would love to work for google. There European headquarters are in ireland. They are so cool they have a slide inside for workers to use. :D Also i now someone who works there and he gets loads of free stuff/
    argedion likes this.
  3. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

I would love to work for the mother ship (Google). Probably would be interesting to say the least.

Shout out to Wegmans being #5, representing my home city.
    argedion likes this.
  4. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

+1 on loving to work for Google
  5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

My company is actually on that list. In the top ten even.
    argedion likes this.
  6. TJGoSurf

TJGoSurf Well-Known Member

I question this list. Chesapeake Energy at #26? They've dug 12 dry wells here in Colorado and their CEO took out loans for the company behind the boards back. They say they will be another Enron. Not sure how their employees are so happy.
  7. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

The secret to understanding these lists is in knowing how the data was gathered. Until you do, there will be questions like "how the heck did THAT company make the list?
  8. psionandy

psionandy Well-Known Member

Its not necesserily a list of the 'Best companies to work for' but a list of where the people think they are working at the best companies to work for. A subtle but substantial difference.

Having worked for companies that have made it onto similar lists.. there are 'anonymous' surveys that go are sent to employees of companies that are likely to feature on the list. These are mixed in with numbers like salaries, benefits, training budgets, holidays, staff retention etc...

Whilst these survey results are completely anonymous, i did feel a slight conflict of interest when i was selected to fill one in. Not because i felt any intimidation or fear my employer would find out.. but rather because I liked the company. I wanted them to do well. I knew that coming up higher on one of these lists would help our company when bidding for contracts.. etc.

I hope I answered truthfully, but my opinions would have been covered by that self interest.

Now that effect will apply differently in different companies. I suspect companies like Google will get a bump due to company pride, even if their pay/conditions/benefits are at the highest levels...
  9. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

The list is "The best companies to work for in 2013." So I just assumed it was a list of the best companies to work for.

Like I said, I really need more data before I know. All I can do is go by my personal experiences.

For me, the best companies to work for are those that pay on time.
    argedion likes this.
  10. A.Nonymous

Disagree. I've worked for companies that paid on time but every minute I was there was sheer misery. Literally the worst thing that happened to me every day was that I had to go to work.
  11. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

All,

let's keep the posts civil and on topic. I have had to remove a couple unnecessary posts.

Thank you.
    Xyro, argedion and Rxpert83 like this.
  12. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

I could totally see Google being number 1 and have heard so many good things about working for them.

My major makes it highly unlikely for me to work for them but I can still dream :p
  13. TJGoSurf

TJGoSurf Well-Known Member

I keep hoping google gets into oilfield mapping. Then I'm on easy street.
  14. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Hmm, I was offered a job at a Kimpton Hotel's restaurant. But, the pay was crap and I didn't care for the chefs. No loss there. :)
  15. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

My DOL told me that one student at the sixth form did well, went to uni, again did well.. and got a job working for Google in Geneva. Starting salary?

100K.

16. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I worked for only 1 of them, towards the bottom of the list. Last 10 in fact.
  17. unnamedny

unnamedny Well-Known Member

Sarcasm aside. How come Apple is not on the list? They are one of the most successful companies ever. They also have no debts and lots of cash. What is this list based on?

Also if you are looking for the best vocation times, education field is a way to go.
    If you are looking for the best work to salary ratio, nothing can beat government jobs.
    If you are a family man, stay away from private sector. If you are career oriented, private sector is a way to go.
  18. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

It says "best 100 companies to work for", not to invest in. Big difference.
  19. unnamedny

unnamedny Well-Known Member

yes, but what does it mean "best"? top salaries? benefits? most potential? best career? best vocation times? stability?

it just does not explain what its based on. Its like saying Ferrari is the best car to own for comfort, offroading and family use.
  20. Stinky Stinky

Stinky Stinky Well-Known Member

Hey!?

:(

What about these guys!?

[​IMG]

Why are they not on the top 100!?
  21. A.Nonymous

Yes. The article explains exactly how they come to their conclusion.