1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Best 2.3 custom rom

1. scottybones

scottybones Well-Known Member

Was wondering what roms are available for 2.3 and the most stable. I've got firefly 3.0 running froyo, and love it. Haven't found any bugs or nuttin. I wanna venture into gingerbread, was wondering what are the pros and cons? I always go by the term "if it aint broke don't fix it" any insight would be helpful. Thank you

Advertisement
  2. c-eling

c-eling Member

i've been looking at mosaic lately since i'm really impressed with firefly,but i'm not quite ready to deal with the bootloaders till i'm a bit more confident,lol
  3. beatdroppah

beatdroppah Well-Known Member

yeah make sure its what you want, and def look into the process, and the details for the rom you want to flash. i flashed GR-12 like 4 times, and each time i could not get it to run good at all, nothing i did helped. so i flashed back. sticking with a 2.2 ROM for now, until some more stable 2.3 ROMS arise, or problems for others are fixed
  4. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

your problem may be some of the things you used to restore with tibu that is slowing you down. all of your contacts, sms messages, and really all of the green highlighted things you used to restore you cant going from 2.2 to 2.3.x. I found this out the hard way also. and ever since that everything has run much cmoother

im on mosaic III right now, it has been the best one for me. i started on gr-10 i believe, stayed on it till 12 and switched over. then a few days ago i went to obsession which was a mistake. i went out of town yesterday only to find out that every single game on my phone was broken so i was quite bored for awhile, it also isnt americanized and i dont think it is supposed to be so that was a minus for me also. last night i went back to mosaic III and they all work again. ive been very happy on mosaic though i would recommend it over the others to anyone getting the itch for gingerbread, but it is important to know what you are doing first. it was easier for me to follow the gr-12 instructions though to install the bootloaders and kernel, they are the same as the mosaic ones but a lot less words and easier to follow. but you do the exact same things but install mosaic from CWM instead of gr-12
  5. beatdroppah

alright i may try that, bc ive been anxious to try a GB ROM, so perhaps ill try what you recommended.
  6. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

Try Serendipiity VII - just be sure to follow the installation instructions to the letter. Note there are two files to download, the GB insallation file, and then the ROM file. It is a great ROM, be sure to flash Kernel #4 if it hasn't been incorporated into the ROM yet (Menu/Settings/About Phone/Kernel Version), it fixes the wifi problems many have had with GB ROMs. MikeyMike01 and ChanceM put out a high quality product!
  7. dgritza

dgritza Member

Could not agree more! S7 is pure amazing and getting better.
  8. slophil3

slophil3 Member

My favorite 2.3 ROM is probably SYMPLY SGSII. Love the features and the stock SGSII feel.
  9. wretchedhorror

wretchedhorror Well-Known Member

I agree,
    I just came from SGS2, now running Mosaic V

I think the whole JVP platform (2.3.4) is just alot more stable right now.
  10. xThaNaturalx

xThaNaturalx Well-Known Member

I'd highly recommend Mosaic V. Seems to be the most stable while having the most functionality. Serendipity VII was great, but it just killed my battery life.

Also, even though outdated and currently on developer hold, Perception II beta 3 was the gingerbread ROM I stayed on the longest. Bast battery life I've ever had.
  11. RedRyno

RedRyno Well-Known Member

How many hoops do you need to jump though to get it to load, or is it one of those "easy" ones...
  12. wretchedhorror

If i remember correctly i flashed the initial file then a settings fix, then an update non wipe file.

but i believe now it might be just the initial rom then the non wipe update.
  13. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Well-Known Member

I really like Cognition and Serendipity, you can never go wrong with either of those. But I'm thinking about venturing out and giving Apex a try.
  14. beatdroppah

i flashed Apex 8.1 last night. was curious to try it. i had horrible FC closes on my apps. then i found out, ALL my apps did that. none of them would open, after i restored from TiBu. Google+ app works...facebook app works...but none of my games n stuff still work. i reflashed and tried a more selective restore in TiBu, and unchecked the green items, like i had done on a different rom, to prevent compatability isues. didnt work. says all my apps are installed, but they all FC immediately after clicking them. even my texting app did (handcent), so i uninstalled, and reinstalled, and it works. just too lazy to make myself do that to ALL my other apps too....i miss my angry birds. lol
  15. wretchedhorror

Had the same problems.
    You should download the angry birds back up app for seasons and the original.

You just need to pass one level and then use the app to restore all your levels again.
  16. beatdroppah

oh okay, thanks. ill have to try that then.

but otherwise, i love apex 8.1 its very nice :D
  17. RedRyno

RedRyno Well-Known Member

18. beatdroppah

i tried several times to get that rom flashed, but everytime it was runnin super crappy, no matter what i did. so im just on Mosiac VI now, and i love it.
  19. phoneturf

phoneturf Member

Found this thread after doing a google search for captivate rom with the best battery life.

I also recommend Dlev 4.2, even though dlev has stopped development since he broke his cappy. And even after dlev 5.0 has been released. Dlev 4.2 JVQ has the best battery life of any rom I have found (and I have tried dozens in the last 15 months), is screaming fast, is highly customizable, and stable. Before dlev, I used Firefly for the longest time of any rom, but upgrading to gb was worth it. Plus, unlike some gb roms, dlev is easy to flash.

Since going to dlev 4.2, I have flashed a few other roms including Apex 9.2, apex 10, and dlev 5.0, but none of them provide the battery life on my phone as 4.2, likely because it is jvq which my phone seems to like best. So I always come back.

Downsides to dlev 4.2 (and some of the other dlev versions):

I do not like the included swype skin (alt characters too hard to read), but had saved the one with good visibility from dlev 4.1 so this is not a problem.

Like all the other i9000 based GB roms, it has the charging bug when using most usb chargers (try some of the other ones you have lying around the house until you find one that does not cause it), but I will put up with this since an i9000 rom is required for hsupa/hsdpa speeds.

Once it is flashed you must immediately go to the market and update titanium backup since if you use the version included in the rom it seems to corrupt everything it restores and lots of stuff force closes. You are immediately going to the market to restore Tibu Pro, anyway.

I think you have to go into the status bar settings after flashing and turn off and on the battery display to get the graphic (I use the textual battery display myself).

You should flash h3llstorm's gps fix afterward. This fix was incorporated into 5.0 so it did not have to be flashed separately, but oddly the GPS in 5.0 appeared to have lots of problems, unlike in 4.2 with the fix. Note that GPS works much better on my phone than most cappys (it works perfectly in other words) since I have a plastic battery cover.

-----

I am finally to the point where I think, "Why would I ever flash a new rom?" But I am sure I will since I have never gone as long as a month without trying a new one. And I am almost as sure that I will flash back to dlev 4.2 soon afterward.

With the standard battery, I can easily go a whole day with normal use (text, phone, surf, some videos, some games, and a lot of bluetooth streaming). With an extended battery I can add a couple hours of GPS (nav and mytracks), 8 hours of tethering (I leave my tablet tethered most of the day), and a couple more hours of gaming. It is almost impossible to completely drain the entire extended battery in one day to recalibrate it.
  20. tsolly

tsolly Active Member

I agree 100% with Reinbeau - I did a lot of flashing on my Cappy and Serendipity 7 was about as solid as it gets. I really wish that MikeyMike01 and ChanceM would pick up an Atrix sometime soon...
  21. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

And in this corner...

Apex