1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Alternate Keyboard?

Last Updated:

1. Joneke

Joneke Member This Topic's Starter

I have the Droid, and was wondering what the best Alternate Application for a Keyboard is? And I need it to be 100% safe, I am pretty skeptical about using apps such as a keyboard app since it could possibly remember what you type and steal passwords, etc.

Advertisement
  2. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Unless the keyboard app has access to communicate (and you would be warned during an install), how would it do anything with what it collected?

Also -- define "best". Best is subjective and without qualifying what you mean it's impossible to give recommendations.

3. Joneke

Understand , however with today's advances in technology, I can't be certain about anything; So just making sure.

And just a general, "Best." I have big fingers so maybe one that has a good skin with larger buttons, maybe some cool features, the least laggy...etc

4. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

Better Keyboard is probably your best bet.

5. Joneke

I have tried Better Keyboard, but like I said I am skeptical to use outside programs that was not stock on the Droid.
    There has been no reports of stolen passwords, etc with Better Keyboard? Or no faults at all?

6. jwmacdon1231

From what I have heard/read of there has been no reports of anything malicious being done with Better Keyboard.

Better Keyboard, as with any app, has its bugs, but it is nothing that makes Better Keyboard worse than the stock keyboard. There are some skins that make the keys bigger, and I personally love it.

7. Joneke

Well I am sold then! Thank you!

If anyone else has a suggestion just say so.

8. jwmacdon1231

No problem.

9. n1tro

n1tro Active Member

install the htc hero keyboard. search for how to manually install it. I have it for my acer liquid. has great predictive text.

10. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

swype keyboard is the best there is. And I've been using touchscreen devices for 5 years.

11. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Have to agree. There's certainly a learning curve, but you can get really good at it. Although, I can't get it to write "five", it always writes "give" and doesn't give me an option.

12. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

I tried Better Keyboard last night on my Hero, and I thought it was pretty bad. Little things like having to hold down a key then select to get the alternate characters (like " ' ") and having to press and hold an unrecognized word in order to save it (instead of just clicking it once like the Hero pad).

13. jwmacdon1231

I agree. It is a bit annoying having to do that with Better Keyboard. I tried installing the apk for the Hero keyboard last night, and it just kept foce closing. So I had to uninstall and reboot. I have no idea why that happened.

14. schimm

schimm Well-Known Member

Big Button Keyboard. Biggest problem with virtual keyboards is that it is so easy to mis-hit letter....this keyboard eliminates it. And very intuitive....not qwerty but similar.