Best alternative messaging apps?General

Last Updated:

1. skier10

skier10 Active Member

Hi there, what are the best alternative messaging (sms/mms) apps these days, especially for the Galaxy Nexus? I usually use Handcent, but after resetting my phone yesterday and going to reinstall the app today, I saw some comments about that app potentially uploading personal data to a server...so I'm staying away from it.

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement
  2. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

handcent was going to be my suggestion. I haven't used a third party sms app since getting the G Nex. But i used to use Handcent.
  3. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

I was a handcent on my Inc for about 6 months then switched to gosms for a long time. I think Chomp is better, faster, and simpler than both. It's more of a "no frills" sms app
  4. viper689

viper689 Well-Known Member

I like GoSMS mainly because of how much I can customize it to fit in with the ICS color theme. It gets the job done for me =)
  5. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Well-Known Member

Go SmS has been mine for months now, before it became Go sms pro actually. Love the customizing options, plus it has a pretty nice ICS theme that comes with it.
  6. eristocrat

eristocrat Well-Known Member

I'm using Pansi messaging because I like the simplicity and the inverted black background option.
  7. runningman3433

runningman3433 Well-Known Member

is anyone using google voice as their main texting app? how do i get texts to show up in a thread to the person i text? i'm getting a new text thread for users today, but i texted them yesterday (shows up in a separate thread).
  8. gunit34328

gunit34328 Active Member

that's just a common problem with gvoice. it always creates a new thread even if you already have another thread with the same contact. it's pretty annoying but it's something i guess we have to get used to.
  9. aurora40

aurora40 Well-Known Member

I use Google voice pretty regularly because I can text from my tablet, like forwarding a link or something. I like it, but have a pretty low standard for a messaging app. It needs to send and receive and not use much juice.

It does group them in "conversations" vs just by persons.
  10. ThEoRy36O

ThEoRy36O Well-Known Member

Go sms. Win.
  11. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

Right up to the point where they add AirPush to the app - at that point for me it'll be sayonara Go SMS Pro and welcome back Handcent.... (they've already done this to Go Contacts)
  12. GrenW

GrenW Well-Known Member

AlkiDweller and jbdan like this.
  13. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Well-Known Member

Thats why i have a Backup of it ;) and if i saw that i'd just restore the backup
  14. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

Hopefully, we will have JB installed by then (that will let us "mute" airpush ads for any app)
  15. skier10

skier10 Active Member

Has this been done already, or are you just hypothesizing on what could happen in the future?
  16. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

I know it happened with Go Contacts and I hear tell of people say it also happened with another go app. Just saying is all that if this is a path the Go Development team have set themselves on then I think it's definitely possible they could target other apps of theirs as well.

Equally they could see the response that dropping Air Push onto Go Contacts has produced (a sea of 1 star reviews on Google Play) and reverse course.
  17. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

i've been using gosms since august
  18. ThEoRy36O

ThEoRy36O Well-Known Member

Ouch!! That'll learn em! So far so good for me but if I start to notice anything funny I'll drop em just the same.. Thanks for pointing it out.
  19. RASHIDDDDD

RASHIDDDDD New Member

I used SMS POPUP which is the best one i thing but no theme customization but it provide custom contact notification less ram usage and fast then DROID notify PRo :)
  20. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Handcent is the only one I use. Super customizable. I've tried Gosms but it was a little buggy.
  21. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

GO SMS, I used to use Handcent but there were a few bugs that they never took care of. I originally didn't like GO SMS because it's too much customization for me and the logo is silly, but it works.
  22. KaztheMinotaur

KaztheMinotaur Active Member

As of last night Handcent still won't send a picture message. Are you having this problem?

23. TritonDroid

TritonDroid Well-Known Member

Was using Handcent and really liked it but started having issues receiving pictures. Ended up having to uninstall am now using GoSMS
  24. KaztheMinotaur

KaztheMinotaur Active Member

I'm now using the stock messaging combined with SMS Popup app.
  25. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

I prefer the stock SMS app, but the only thing it's missing is the ability to set different notification tones for each contact. That's really the only thing missing for me, and Id rather not install a bloated app where I won't use 99% of its features.