• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best alternative messaging apps?

skier10

May 15, 2010
Hi there, what are the best alternative messaging (sms/mms) apps these days, especially for the Galaxy Nexus? I usually use Handcent, but after resetting my phone yesterday and going to reinstall the app today, I saw some comments about that app potentially uploading personal data to a server...so I'm staying away from it.

Thanks everyone!

is anyone using google voice as their main texting app? how do i get texts to show up in a thread to the person i text? i'm getting a new text thread for users today, but i texted them yesterday (shows up in a separate thread).

that's just a common problem with gvoice. it always creates a new thread even if you already have another thread with the same contact. it's pretty annoying but it's something i guess we have to get used to.

Upvote 0
is anyone using google voice as their main texting app? how do i get texts to show up in a thread to the person i text? i'm getting a new text thread for users today, but i texted them yesterday (shows up in a separate thread).
I use Google voice pretty regularly because I can text from my tablet, like forwarding a link or something. I like it, but have a pretty low standard for a messaging app. It needs to send and receive and not use much juice.

It does group them in "conversations" vs just by persons.

Upvote 0
Has this been done already, or are you just hypothesizing on what could happen in the future?

I know it happened with Go Contacts and I hear tell of people say it also happened with another go app. Just saying is all that if this is a path the Go Development team have set themselves on then I think it's definitely possible they could target other apps of theirs as well.

Equally they could see the response that dropping Air Push onto Go Contacts has produced (a sea of 1 star reviews on Google Play) and reverse course.

Upvote 0
I know it happened with Go Contacts and I hear tell of people say it also happened with another go app. Just saying is all that if this is a path the Go Development team have set themselves on then I think it's definitely possible they could target other apps of theirs as well.

Equally they could see the response that dropping Air Push onto Go Contacts has produced (a sea of 1 star reviews on Google Play) and reverse course.

Ouch!! That'll learn em! So far so good for me but if I start to notice anything funny I'll drop em just the same.. Thanks for pointing it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones