• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Android Book Reader App??

mcbtrain929

Android Expert
Nov 5, 2009
So, ebooks on phones are starting to get hot, especially with bigger screens. I know there's Kindle for Android, Aldiko Book Reader, Laputa, and now Google Books. Which is the best, in terms of customization and number of free books? Any input would be appreciated!

FBReader is open source and very nice. It's got a teeny little status line which I like. On my Nexus One, the trackball will scroll the text one line at a time, which is handy. Its library search works well and within a few seconds of installing it, I had downloaded a dozen classics--War and Peace, Moby Dick, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, etc. Just really easy, and all free.

Kindle is slick and has long-touch dictionary pop-up. I've bought a couple of books with it so far and it's very painless and easy to spend money. But the Kindle library also has free stuff. I had trouble re-syncing when I did a factory reset, but the last time I did it, it sync'd my books again with no trouble.

Google Books seems similar to FBReader and lacks a dictionary feature, so far. It synchronizes nicely with the desktop. It lets you switch to "scanned" mode so you can see the original printed page from which the text was obtained (I'm talking about a free scanned e-book now).

From what everyone says, Aldiko is great. But I'm awash in readers now and would like to just use one great one. But not sure yet which is the best; they're all a little different and strong in different areas.

Upvote 0
Aldiko is the most comfortable reader for ePub books, without doubt in my opinion :)

But I missed the feature to mark words and look it up directly in a dictionary.
Now I found this feature with the stock eBook reader of the Desire HD.
And if I put the folder 'Digital Editions' on the SD card, I could put in my own ePub books and read it with this reader.

In the info of the reader I saw it was the KOBO reader.
In market is a KOBO reader. I think it has the same feature as the stock reader of the Desire HD.

Harry

Upvote 0
Aldiko on the Android, with Calibre on the PC and you can read almost any format out there.
I did this early on, but then found it a hassle if I'm away from home without my PC or laptop and want to download and read a book directly.

But I'm liking the Kindle Android software the best so far (between eReader, Nook and Kindle), as it completely clears the display for text when needed. Though I still haven't checked out the new Google Books software yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones