• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Android Geotagging App

Soileau

Lurker
Feb 3, 2010
I got an Android phone, because I want to learn to geotag.
Here's my situation:

I am enrolled in a study abroad to Germany this coming summer, and I want to be able to geotag all the photos I take on my trip.
I really want an app that will show me where I took my pictures, and let me look at them and the location on a seperate pc after I take them.
The reason I want this is because I want my grandparents to be able to follow my European excavations as they occur online through my geotagged photos, as they themselves have had numerous such excavations, and have been to most of the places I will be going.

Is there an app with just such interface??
I've been using footprints on my HTC DROID ERIS, but it looks like it only lets me view them on my phone. I might be wrong about this.

Does anyone have any geotagging preferences?

follow my European excavations as they occur
Sorry to be pedantic, but are you sure you mean "excavations"? An excavation is an archaeological dig at a historic site. I would expect photos there to be made with professional equipment and to include precise spatial referencing, time-stamp and size scale. Perhaps you mean "vacation," "expedition" or even "escapade."

Upvote 0
Oh thank you!
Your grammatical correction pointed me in the right direction of the app that I REALLY wanted all along! I'm glad you decided to be so helpful.

Lockitt: Yeah, it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do. I may have to put more effort into it that I originally thought, though : )

Mustang: It looks like that is a geocaching app. I'm not sure it does what I want it to.

Upvote 0
Is there an app that can be used to geo tag pictures taken with a conventional camera? Sony does a gadget that records a log of where you have been and then correlates the time stamp in the metadata of the pictures, say taken with your DSLR, with the position logged at that time. Even better, combine position and direction using the compass built in to an increasing number of phones.

Ian

Upvote 0
Is there an app that can be used to geo tag pictures taken with a conventional camera? Sony does a gadget that records a log of where you have been and then correlates the time stamp in the metadata of the pictures, say taken with your DSLR, with the position logged at that time. Even better, combine position and direction using the compass built in to an increasing number of phones.

Ian

If you search appbrain (or the market itself) for "geotag" there are quite a few options that will help you tag photos from your digital camera.

This one seems pretty slick:

An android application for picture geotagging (Geotagger)

Upvote 0
[FONT=Verdana,Bold][FONT=Verdana,Bold][FONT=Verdana,Bold]
MediaMapper Mobile​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]is a new application designed for Android-based mobile
devices. MediaMapper Mobile complements the Red Hen family of
mapping software by providing a commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) field solution
for robust data collection.
Now your Android device serves as a handheld GPS device and geotagging
camera/audio recorder.
[FONT=Verdana,Bold][FONT=Verdana,Bold][FONT=Verdana,Bold]Media Mapper Mobile [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]creates it's own .GPX track
log, allowing you to geotag media collected from "detached" video/still
cameras in the field using our MediaGeotagger software. Concurrently, the
Android's positional information is associated with photos, points of interest
(POI) and voice annotations, which ensures accurate and detailed data collection
missions.

[FONT=Verdana,Bold][FONT=Verdana,Bold][FONT=Verdana,Bold]
MediaMapper Mobile​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]completes the workflow cycle by creating Red Hen
Project (.rhproj) files that can be imported into Red Hen mapping solutions,
like the MediaMapper Server and RouteScout for FalconView. From utility
industry field technicians to intelligence gathering operations, this highly
flexible program is a cost-effective way to simplify data collection with

COTS Android mobile devices.

hoot@redhensystems.com

Upvote 0
Try this one, it worked pretty well for me:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...51bGwsMSwyLDEsIm1ldG9jb21wLmltYWdldHRhZ2VyIl0.

I got an Android phone, because I want to learn to geotag.
Here's my situation:

I am enrolled in a study abroad to Germany this coming summer, and I want to be able to geotag all the photos I take on my trip.
I really want an app that will show me where I took my pictures, and let me look at them and the location on a seperate pc after I take them.
The reason I want this is because I want my grandparents to be able to follow my European excavations as they occur online through my geotagged photos, as they themselves have had numerous such excavations, and have been to most of the places I will be going.

Is there an app with just such interface??
I've been using footprints on my HTC DROID ERIS, but it looks like it only lets me view them on my phone. I might be wrong about this.

Does anyone have any geotagging preferences?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones