Best android phone for gaming?

1. bmagsipoc

bmagsipoc Member

I'm more of a hardcore gamer, i.e. I find stuff like minesweeper or solitaire boring and I'd much rather be playing something like heavy gunner or quake 2. I've found my HTC Hero can't really handle games like that (heavy gunner lags so bad it's unplayable). What's the best Android phone for gaming?

Also I guess I should mention I'm on Cellular South (local carrier for mid-south regions, TN/MS mainly) and they've got the Motoral Milestone/Droid and will be getting the HTC Desire eventually. So between the Milestone and the Desire which seems to be better for 3D intensive gaming?

Advertisement
    :
  2. plusnplus

plusnplus Active Member

mine using samsung i5700 spica, a lot game can not play.

but..., want better 3d game experience, grab nintendo DS or psp :D
  3. aronck

aronck New Member

As of now I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy S line of phones (Vibrant, Fascinate, Captivate, EPIC 4g) as the video processor in it simply rivals other phones at the time. Out of the 4, the epic 4g most likely is the best as it has a physical keyboard and allows for the best options as far as controls.

Any phone that currently has been updated with Froyo 2.2 would be a great selection as well, as the new system update really speeds things up.

In addition, im sure if you wait a month or two there may be better phones coming out...as that is how it seems to go. Check out droiddog.com for info on upcoming phone releases for your carrier.
  4. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Epic (for now) would be king. Nice screen size and good keyboard. Big IFS, but:

IF 2.2 was easy to put on the Galaxy S and not wait on Samsung
    IF the Epic came to VZW and had the 16gb that Tmo has

I would buy it :) Heck, I would get it, even with the 2GB the VZW version has :)
  5. jim2point0

jim2point0 Well-Known Member

SGS phones are simply the fastest out there... but the Epic wins due to the physical keyboard. It's not as good as a controller, but it should prove better than on screen controls for emulators and such.

It's so fast it doesn't even need 2.2.
  6. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

Basically, Galaxy S is great for games - to bad it sucks as a phone.

HTC Desire is a fantastic phone, but it is not ever going to be a 3D king. That said, the recent Need for Speed game has shown the Desire can produce graphics on par with the iPhone.
  7. bmagsipoc

bmagsipoc Member

How about Milestone/Droid vs. Desire, how do they stack up in terms of being able to run 3d games smoothly?
  8. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

Galaxy S, only phone that comes close is the Droid X,

If you like gaming, don't waste time with the current HTC range or the Nexus One, their high end devices all use snapdragon which is already outdated imo, soon to be replaced by higher clocked dual core versions with faster intergrated graphics.

Desire uses some version as the Nexus One, Galaxy S isnt included here but it was it would easily be faster than the Droid X.

[​IMG]

That's BS, it's a great phone.
  9. marktrax17

marktrax17 Member

Hello all! This is my first post but I felt like I should contribute. Before rooting my HTC Hero I was looking for the next big jump on an android phone. I had my eye on this little beauty. Its highly unlikely that this is the final product. Sony is integrating its PSP into an Android OS. Instead of a QWERTY keyboard we are looking at a slide out controller like the new iteration of the Sony PSP.

Who thinks this is cool?

Sony Ericsson Readying an Android 3.0 PlayStation Phone?
  10. JiMMaR

JiMMaR Well-Known Member

hehe , that pic is imaginary
  11. davieboynj

davieboynj Member

best phone for gaming is the original droid OC'd with a game gripper for PSX4DROID.

easy!
  12. foolie

foolie Member

I think any higher tier android phone this year will be fine, or you can wait for that PSP/Android phone that Engadget broke news on
  13. bmagsipoc

bmagsipoc Member

Cool, thanks all. I'll definitely be going for something with a physical keyboard, right now I'm leaning towards the Milestone/Droid.
  14. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

I don't agree that a keyboard is needed at all, I have no trouble playing PSX games with on screen controls.

Also most games will be designed for phones with no keyboard, for the simple reason iPhone has no keyboard! and best games so far are all iPhone ports.
  15. bmagsipoc

bmagsipoc Member

I lean toward something with a physical keyboard not for gaming but for typing. The virtual keyboard on my hero doesn't always perform the best. Gets a little laggy when typing fast which can cause spelling errors. It's a real pain after I've typed a long message to find half the words misspelled just cause I was typing too fast.
  16. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

The Galaxy S line has by far the best GPU. If you are mostly playing SNS games with an SNES emulator, the Droid with a gamegripper is a good option.
  17. TheAndroidWorks

TheAndroidWorks Well-Known Member

The EPIC is the best phone out for games. Fastest CPU/GPU, 4" screen, and it has a keyboard. Playing action games on a touchscreen is not nearly as much fun with tactile buttons and your fingers out of the way!
  18. bodybuilder27

bodybuilder27 Member

HTC HD2 - IMHO.

Awesome bit of kit.

Matt
  19. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

20. bmagsipoc

bmagsipoc Member

Anyone have experience with the new Samsung phones and/or a benchmark graph like this one?
  21. pakiplayer421

pakiplayer421 Active Member

My epic is amazing for gaming. It can even run shitty iphone ports well.
  22. fancysmith

fancysmith New Member

Acer BeTouch E110 is best android phone for gaming. One of its most popular features is the control it offers. It is likened to a track pad or joystick style of control. Which best gaming.
  23. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

Not been able to find one, i'd run it myself if I knew how to run the timedemo and get the result.

But it will be faster than the Droid X, Droid X uses SGX530, iPhone 4 used SGX535, Galaxy S uses SGX540. ;)

I'd guess around 60fps.
  24. bodybuilder27

bodybuilder27 Member

i love the HD2.....loads of Android builds for it now....definitely the best 4 gaming - especially as it's the only 4.3" screen A N D R O I D phone..heheh ;-)

Performance aint bad - as you can see from below..heheh ;-)

Attached Files:

25. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

Uses Snapdragon so it's never going to be the best for gaming..

Galaxy S with lag fix available from the market scores 2200 in that benchmark.

Heres mine..

[​IMG]

Will be even higher when 2.2 is released.