Best Android phone for geocaching

Last Updated:

1. roadlover

roadlover New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Everyone,

Not sure where to post this question but it is more directed to those who use their Androids for Geocaching. I currently own a Blackberry 8330 but am looking at purchasing a new android phone from Verizon that will also be my primary gps unit for geocaching. I have a garmin 400 but for the past year found it more convienent to geocache with my Blackberry 8330. So, for those who love to geocache, what phone is the more perferred when using it for geocaching. I have looked at the droid x, the droid 2, the incredible and the samsung fascinate. One sales person I spoke with at Verizon is an avid geocacher said he loves his droid x but I'm sure there are also others to concider. I would really appreciate any and all suggestions and opinions. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. all43

all43 Well-Known Member

Hi I use c:geo all the time which is a free app that works brilliantly on my Desire and I have tried the groundspeak project but that is not a free one.

C:geo is the way to go, happy geoing!

3. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

I don't really see one device having significant advantages over another specifically for geocaching. It's really the app that's going to make the most difference.

4. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

I agree. Only things the phone could have a factor on are if the GPS works correctly and maybe sunlight readability.

5. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Exactly. You might want a larger screen, but then you will sacrifice battery life. its up to you.

6. roadlover

roadlover New Member This Topic's Starter

I appreciate all of your responses. I've heard nothing but good about the c:geo software for geocaching and will probably use it. But also read a few concerns about the accuracy of the gps on the Samsung Fascinate. So, I was hoping to hear of any personal expeariences with any particular android based phone. Thanks

7. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Until a GPS fix is issued for the Galaxy S line, the Vibrant/Captivate etc., they're not a good choice for caching. I have a Vibrant, and the GPS is far too inaccurate to track down a cache. To date I haven't even attempted it.

8. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I as going to add that to my post earlier and forgot. Stay away from the Samsung line, they are known to have bad gps/

9. Chris71

Chris71 New Member

I use my Droid 2 with the c:geo app, and I was really surprised how accurate the GPS has been. It hasn't let me down yet, really helps to get the radar app also.

10. polkajen

polkajen New Member

I currently use a Samsung Moment with the C geo app and have found over 80 caches this month with little problems! very easy to use!