Best android verizon phone?

Last Updated:

1. omelet

omelet Member This Topic's Starter

Currently, I can get a new phone. I don't know which one to get though, I would like the best because it seems that whenever I settle for anything but I get the bad end of the deal. I'm looking at the:
    Droid Incredible
    Droid X
    Other?

The only problem about getting the Droid Incredible, is that the Droid Incredible HD is right around the corner (supposedly), and I hate having that feeling that there is another phone a lot better than mine. I don't know if I would be taking advantage of the LTE addition, but I might end up doing so.

Advertisement
  2. batgeek

batgeek Banned

there will always be another better phone around the corner.

always.

3. omelet

that's what I've learned with technology these days, but I'm wondering which one is better, because honestly i always kill myself making these decisions because 31 days later, right after i can return it, they come out with a new one. that's why i'm trying to make the best decision so i don't bite my tongue about it.

4. batgeek

batgeek Banned

if you want the latest and greatest, you're going to have to wait for the latest and greatest.

if you want the greatest right now, get the greatest available right now.

these are your only two choices. are you patient enough to wait for the latest and greatest? :)

5. kb58

kb58 Well-Known Member

As circular as the above reasoning is, it's exactly right. You're basically asking where the corner is in your round room! You want a phone now? Buy one now. Want one later? Buy it later. Use the reviews to pick the "best" at the instant you buy, then don't look at new phones for two years...

6. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Though Verizon will be releasing LTE in it's first markets late this year it's likely that we won't see many LTE phones until next summer...

As for which phone to choose, what are you planning to use the phone for? Running certain types of apps? Do you mod phones?

7. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

The best thing to do in this case is to wait for a new phone to launch that you really like. This will ensure the longest possible lifecycle. If you buy a phone mid-cycle, there is always a chance it is going to be refreshed right around the corner.

8. AntDogs

AntDogs Well-Known Member

Droid X Right now

9. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

You also have to get what is best for you and will fit your needs. Having the latest and greatest doesn't do you a whole lot of good if the phone doesn't work for you.

Martimus likes this.
  10. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Amen to that! :cool:

11. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

The best course of action when trying to decide on several devices, in my opinion, is to handle as many of them as you can after doing the homework on which type you are interested in.

Spend as much time in the store with them as you can; go back and forth until you feel drawn to one in particular. That is what I did and happily ended up with the one that was second on my list prior to going to the store. ;)

12. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

I personally think the Droid X would be their best right now. Good, solid hardware, great performance, nice big 4.3 inch screen. That would be my choice. However, I know some people are iffy about the size, and I can't lie, the DX is big. I love the size of the Droid Incredible, and whether you get an AMOLED or SLCD version, the screen is great. Tough decision. You could always buy one, and if you're unhappy exchange it. The only problem is that pesky $35 restocking fee.

13. omelet

The thing is, I just want a device that I can use as a smartphone, (I don't even know if we can call them these anymore, because they do so much more). I'm at the stage now that I actually need a smartphone to handle my e-mails on the go, instead of just checking them every other week. My past phones have all been multimedia phones, or just a phone that can call and text. All of these seem to break within the month, or the software glitches.

I really want a phone that'll just hold up for the year duration, instead of glitching every other message.
    So I guess the real question is, is android even the right decision?

14. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Your last question is really something that only you can answer. We can offer suggestions or even come right out tell you what to get, but only you can know if it will fit your needs.

What I would suggest is to sit down and really go through what you want and/or need a phone to do for you. If it is just email, text and calls then just about any phone can do that. If you are going to want multi-media capabilities, games, specific applications, etc. then that may narrow down your search. Once you have your list of needs, take a look at the phones Verizon is currently offering and see which phones you like. Then you can compare those phones with each other, look through each phones forum here, watch video reviews of each on YouTube and try them out in the store to figure out what you like. Then when you get your phone, you can be happy in the fact that you have what you actually need and want.

15. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

Top 3 for Verizon: Droid X, Droid Incredible and Droid 2. There is also the Droid Pro if you like a Blackberry form factor and the Droid 2 Global which has the fastest processor yet and has GSM roaming. Droid 2 R2D2 if you like a potential collectible.

Note: Although originally the Droid X and Droid Incredible 2 are sold with Android 2.1, new batches are already pre-installed with Android 2.2.

In any case, your priority should always be is to get an Android 2.2 phone before an Android 2.1. Verizon has other Androids, Continuum, Fascinate, but I won't get anything that has Android 2.1 and stuck with Bing Search and Maps. Verizon has this crazy scheme where the premium Android line is called Droid, with Google Search and Maps included, while the lesser line is stuck with Bing Search and Maps.

You won't go wrong with any of the phones that say Droid, but you need to "feel" them in your hand, feel them for their size and handling, how the screens look, the UI interfaces, their ergonomics so you can make a choice. From this point on, its a sensual and emotional decision for you.

All these phones named Droid seemed pretty tough in their build and you might even say, even downright militaristic, especially the Motorola ones.

I am quite happy with my Droid Incredible by the way. It lives up to its name.

16. Siddique

Siddique Member

Samsung Fascinate Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)
    The super-smart Samsung Fascinate for Verizon Wireless brings a fully integrated entertainment, messaging, and social networking experience to your mobile phone, thanks to its open and innovative Android 2.1 platform. You'll be able to zip through the Web and multitask between a bevy of apps with the Fascinate's 1 GHz processor and ultra-fast 7.2 Mbps 3G connectivity.