Best Antivirus ???General

Last Updated:

1. 1slo_CR

1slo_CR Member This Topic's Starter

Looking for the best antivirus app, free or $$. Ones that actually function like stated, dont use up a ton of space, easy on battery life and doesnt require installing and unistalling for it to work.

Advertisement
  2. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

If android will be exposed to threats that I would need an anti virus program to protect myself, then it would be the time I resign myself that I would be buying an Apple product despite everything I hate about Apple. The way I see it, it's the OS developer (in this case Google) to maintain security of their product.

I don't like companies who depend on the threat to stay in business. It is not in their best interest to completely eradicate the threat.

Happy New Year!!!

3. fivebass52

fivebass52 Well-Known Member

Lookout is an app that scans your phone on a daily basis, and also scans apps when you download them. Works well and has a lost phone feature as well...

4. h1r0ll3r

h1r0ll3r Well-Known Member

I use AVG on my laptop so I figured I'd give the Android App a chance. For the most part, seems like it works well (haven't gotten any viruses yet :)) so I think it works pretty well. It'll warn me if an app I'm trying to install has potential viruses or is loaded with spam so that's a nice plus. I initially used the free version but later upgraded to the paid version since it's only a one time fee.

5. casarosa

casarosa Well-Known Member

In all the years that I have used android have never had a virus, yes AVG for the laptop OK no problem

6. Lennatron

Lennatron Well-Known Member

Browsing the Play Store I found something called AVG Pro for Sprint:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=store.antivirus&feature=more_from_developer

I notice its $3 cheaper than the regular AVG paid version. I read the description and the Sprint version seems to be exactly the same as AVG paid.

Now I'm wondering why its $3 cheaper. Maybe because Sprint gives AVG money so we Sprint users get a discounted price? What do you guys think, is there any reason not to buy this over the regular paid version?

7. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste Guide

Hi

I vote for lookout too, but also I used Seekdroid to find my HTC Desire in a bag of rubbish in a skip at the local tip (dont ask how that happened!:)

Its worth having an app with location features...

Roger

8. XMB

XMB Member

Avast Mobile Security seems good.

Does not seem to affect my GN2 battery life of performance.

It has lots of features including remote locate and wipe.

Gets a good score on AV Test Report and is free!

9. softarno

softarno Well-Known Member

+100000 toAvast
    Add to that the anti theft feature its amazing
    Its so light nd never affect the battery

10. evohicks

evohicks Well-Known Member

I think if you're careful then you won't need to worry about viruses. Just be careful what source you download from and use trusted apps from the play store.
    I don't see the need for an antivirus tbh but there again I backup my phone every now and then and google have all my contact details so I would just reset the phone if needed.

11. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

yup. I downloaded Avast based on the multiple reviews I read that always had this at the top of the list (or near the top). It's so light that it doesn't affect my battery life at all, I have it sync'd to run scans on Sunday early morning before I wake up for work (so it doesn't mess with my schedule), and it's been perfect for my needs.

12. willowlee

willowlee Well-Known Member

Just wondering but do we really need antivirus on our phone? I have been using phones for years and have never encounter a virus. I know its better safe than sorry, but has anyone here ever got their phone caught a virus? And if so, what did it do?

13. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

AppBrain Ad detector is great to weed out apps with Push notification. Just disable Live detection mode to preserve battery. Also, been using Lookout for years, although sometime I think its doing more of a snooping around to get a list of all your apps for statistics purposes.

Very important to read reviews and user rating before you download and install a new app. If you see thousands of downloads with an average of at least 4 star rating, it gives a better piece of mind.

14. Droid_Genius

Droid_Genius Well-Known Member

Stick to Market apps and your generally safe, I never use those antivirus they just use resources IMO honestly