15 vote(s)
    18.3%
  6. Other (please specify)

10 vote(s)
    12.2%
Last Updated: 2011-10-12 18:08:52
  1. jazztalker

jazztalker Well-Known Member

For those who have apps that allow you to find your phone if you lose it, what do you have, what can it do well and what can't it do? Is there any consensus as to the best one? I'd like something that I can go to a website and find my phone on a map (so at least I know if I left it at work, at home or somewhere else). Do any of these work if the phone is stolen and someone turns off the gps? Can any of these remotely lock down the phone if it's stolen?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Autonomy

Autonomy Well-Known Member

I have wheres my droid and lookout, wheres my droid will let you text the phone from someone elses phone with 2 types of terms, one makes the phone ring even if its on vibrate and another will text the phone you text from with the gps location. Lookout is a virus scanner and you can go on the website and do the same, cause it to emit a siren sound and I think you can do a gps one, as far as remote lock I have no idea.
  3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Anonimac suggested Mobile Defense to me. It seems to work well. It's free.
    armoredsaint, jamor and mdonova33 like this.
  4. Ruben

Ruben Well-Known Member

wavesecure is awesome for me.
  5. hupkix

hupkix Active Member

Prey is what I use. It's free and you can track your computer or your android if they are stolen. The good thing is that you have options.
  6. ethon

ethon Well-Known Member

I also use Mobile Defense
  7. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I've tried Where's My Droid, Prey and Lookout. BY FAR, Lookout has the best UI. No texting required, the web interface is great. Other benefits I like about it:

1.) If you're not a fan of anti-virus, that portion can be shut off leaving just backups and phone locator.
    2.) GPS doesn't have to be on. I don't run my GPS unless I'm using maps to save battery. Even without GPS enabled, it tracks my phone right to my exact address when testing.
    3.) I can shut off email and task bar notifications (task bar on phone app, email on web interface). Last thing I want is for somebody that has my phone to know I've just located my phone.
    4.) It's free
    ricmo likes this.
  8. msuguy71

msuguy71 Member

Does lookout use the battery all the time or only if I activate it using the webpage? I didn't find any info on the apps webpage about this. I looked at mobile defense and they state theirs does not use the battery unless the phone is activated from their site.
  9. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

I use mobile defense. I think it uses gps wether it is on or off.
  10. Excedio

Excedio Well-Known Member

I suggest turning this thread in to a Poll, unless there is one already. I'm in the market for this type of software as well.

Also, it's pretty same to assume that these security programs should be added to and Task Manager's "Ignore" list. Correct? Is this done by default?
  11. DaveS024

DaveS024 Well-Known Member

I use SmrtGuard and have also signed up for latitude both seem to work very well
  12. upther

upther Well-Known Member

I use Lookout and it seems to be great. Doesn't chew up a lot of battery while it's on which is nice. I've tested out the GPS location and it works really well. Always seems to be pretty damn close to where I'm at. The dumbass in my also tested the siren. It isn't very pleasant and the only way to get it to stop is to pull out the battery.
  13. mikeman84

mikeman84 Active Member

I use MobileDefense and I like it.
  14. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

I need one badly after last night. ugggggggghhhhhh.

haha. Will be trying Mobile D Fence
  15. Andoug

Andoug Well-Known Member

Not trying to hijack the thread but are there any of these sort of apps that don't need to text your phone? I don't have a texting plan and don't want to pay for incoming texts whenever the website activates the tracking of the phone.
  16. petschska

petschska Member

Wavesecure. Wiping and tracking options.
  17. upther

upther Well-Known Member

Lookout doesn't text your phone. All the locating, wiping, and backup functions are done from their website, Mylookout.com.
  18. Excedio

I guess the question is...how does Lookout track the phone? From my understanding, most of these types of programs use an SMS pingback of some sort.
  19. AJ McKay

AJ McKay Well-Known Member

If your phone is not worth a 10 cent text, why are you worried about a locator app?

I've got Where's My Droid.
    Tony Touch likes this.
  20. Excedio

Problem is...some people have asked Verizon to completely block inbound text messaging. Wanting an alternative is very valid.

This is not about a matter "worth."
    Tinsammich likes this.
  21. upther

upther Well-Known Member

It uses the GPS. The only downside is that if somebody stole it, they could turn the GPS off. From my understanding you can still wipe the phone if it comes to that.
  22. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Good point. I would hope that we realized it was lost in time that someone wouldn't be able to do that.

If they have no idea about how to use a smart phone, especially android, then I think that would buy you some good time.

If they are Android users and like stealing, welp, we're cooked.
  23. Bing

Bing Well-Known Member

Are there any apps which meet the following criteria?

1. Very-low battery consumption when in background
    2. Web interface for tracking the device
    3. Either: does not need GPS on, or preferably: can turn it on through the site
    4. Free, or charges only if tracking the phone
    5. Can "ping" phone to make it audible, even if if it's in silent mode (for when it's hiding in your apartment)

Thanks guys!
  24. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Looks good, but $20/year is expensive.
  25. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I agree. I installed it and went to uninstall it in favor of MobileDefense and it locked my phone up. Hassle time.
    moidawn likes this.