• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Best app for playing music by folder?

I've tried MortPlayer. Mortplayer really stutters and lags (a lot to the point I thought the program completely stopped) while browsing for folders; once inside the folder, the player is fine though. Also tried Meridian and the program took too long to load; it is also not responsive enough for my taste.

Basically, I'm looking for an app that can play music by folder -- that is as responsive and smooth as FolderPlay on Symbian S60, or the stock player on SE UIQ.

Thanks in advance.

Off topic: Really like the Galaxy S' gorgeous screen but also regret getting it at the same time. I guess I have too much expectation for it. I mean with its high end CPU and GPU, I expect it to be like super fluid but it takes longer to start up and to make a phone call than the 5800. :( Will hard resetting the phone and installing less apps help? I didn't really install that many apps, only about 9 pages filled.

you say its slow on start up??? how slow??? my galaxy starts up in less than a minute which is amazing considering my iphone used to take 3-5minutes

Sorry i cant help with the music player as i am new to this too...

9 pages of apps??? thats a lot imo... i have like 4.... you must have a ridiculous list of apps... Do you use them all?

Upvote 0
I use MixZing for video and audio. It's got the look and feel of iTunes and has its own version of the Genius function (which in my experience works better than the original). Not had any problems with lag or stutter using MixZing. It's a brilliant media player - there's a free version you can muck about with before plumping for the full one.

Reactions: metalchocobo
Upvote 0
@Josh1a1h
It's very slow. :( I'm not really sure why. However, every time a phone is powered on, there are just too many programs running at start up. The phone also searches for media files every time the phone is turned on too. I guess this makes it slower than the 5800 at start up. With Windows, at least I can make changes via msconfig; is there anyway to do the same with Android? :thinking:

I don't really get why the Galaxy S has to search for media files each time the phone is turned on. :thinking: (With the 5800, it doesn't do that. I even have more media files on the 5800 (~14GB vs ~6GB on the S) and all the files show up correctly too.)

I know people say that Android is different. Some people even say that using task killer is pointless or even makes things worse. However, my experience is quite different. I find that task killer is quite useful; it even speeds things up when the phone kind of stutter.

About the apps, no, I don't use them all. I guess I was just crazy and really excited to try out as many programs as I could.

Upvote 0
Just found this while surfing the net:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=7308641#post7308641

Apparently, there are other people who are experiencing this media file scanning issue too. I hope this has already been fixed in 2.2, i.e., give the option to turn this media file scanning off.

I just don't get it. With Symbian, if you don't add any new media files, (it's like) the phone knows this and stops refreshing the file list just after you order it to refresh the list -- like instantly. But with Android, at least the 2.1, my galaxy S always refreshing the list every time the phone starts/restarts; it also does the same thing every time a new memory card is inserted. I just wish there's an option...

Upvote 0
Sorry for the late update. I was really busy. It turns out I didn't get a chance to try MixZing but my friend sent me a different version of Meridian, and it's working OK compared to the previous version. (I don't know which version BTW.) I also gave Mortplayer another try after the update, but it's still a bit slow for me. Maybe the memory card is crap or Mortplayer cannot handle a very large music library.

I suspect the memory card is corrupted because some of the music files on the card are broken. Some cannot be played at all. Some stopped after they were played for a bit. Some started out right but half way through or near the end turned into another song.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones