Best app for Traffic??

Last Updated:

1. BradF

BradF Active Member

Looking for the best app for up to minute traffic reports, etc. Is there one that you can integrate into Google Maps?

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Google does have a layer that shows traffic. I don't think it is always that up to the minute, but it does work.

As far as third party apps go there are three that I have actually tried. They all worked, but I ended up not really needed them.

Real Time Traffic & Speed Cam

INRIX TRAFFIC!

US Traffic
  3. odhinn

odhinn Well-Known Member

click the "layers" icon that looks like a few papers stacked in a box and select "traffic".

It's the same feed as is used in their web version. It appears to be updated every 10 mins or so.
  4. BradF

BradF Active Member

Thanks, do any of those apps work better than the one in google maps??
  5. srothkin

srothkin Well-Known Member

There might also be websites with traffic information in your area from radio stations, tv stations, and government. Save a bookmark to the ones that are useful.

For example, here in Westchester, NY there is HudsonValleyTraveler.com (run by NY DOT) and for going down to the city there is 1010wins.com.
  6. loick

loick Well-Known Member

I developped such app based on Google Maps and you can chose to refresh the traffic layer starting from 1 minute.

You'll also have crowdsouced info traffic, accidents and speed traps.

If something is missing feel free to ask new features

I have a post at http://androidforums.com/android-applications/46704-realtime-traffic-speed-cams.html

have a look to "Real Time Traffic & Speedcams" on the market or click this link from your android

market://search?q=pname:net.monthorin.rttraffic (for android 1.1 to 1.5)
    or
    market://search?q=pname:net.monthorin.rttraffic16 (for android 1.6 and more)
  7. weamish

weamish Well-Known Member

The best traffic device I ever found is TrafficGauge, which unfortunately just went out of business. It was a dedicated always-on wireless device with a screen a bit bigger than a smartphone. I guess the smartphone alternative is to bookmark the DOT website, but I'm sure gonna miss that trusty little gadget...
  8. happy0506

happy0506 Well-Known Member

is there a single service or different services that provide the traffic data? if it only one service, then wouldn't all the traffic apps be the same, other than the UI?
  9. High Tower

High Tower New Member

I know this post is old. But we have developed a traffic app named "Traksor".

It is based on Google Map and also integrated with Facebook. Features include 1-click route setting, Travel time estimation and community notification.

You can see www.traksor.com and try our application. :)
  10. You may want to try the free WAZE app.

WAZE is a crowd-sourced (a.k.a. community-generated) mobile satnav app providing free turn-by-turn navigation based on the live conditions of the road.
    100% powered by users, the more you drive, the better it gets.
  11. mobileapps

mobileapps Member

@BradF - For what kind of website that you need an app to go on...
  12. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

Google Maps and its free. Use it when going to work.
  13. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Give waze a try. I've been using it for a week now. I think their traffic data/calculations are much more accurate and current than google maps.

I've seen some problems routing when you get in areas with smaller roads, but if you have a daily commute with multiple route choices, waze is great.

If you aren't in a populous area, you might not have enough wazers to get good data. Surprisingly, i always see users nearby on the map. I'm on Long Island
    itsallgood likes this.