• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best App/Shortcut for Easy USB-Desktop Mount?

I just plug in my USB cable to Windows 7-64 PC and this pops up:
Connect-USB-Storage-177x300.png

I either click that button if I want to move files, or I just hit the back key if I just want to use device while charging.

Upvote 0
Hm, then it may be an OS-X-specific kludge. When I plug in my USB cable (the Samsung cable which shipped with the Note), nothing changes on the phone: it stays on the home screen. I have to go through the steps I enumerated to get to the screen you show in your screenshot.

(I'd post screenshots, BTW, but I don't have forum permission.)

So it could be that 2.3.6 (&/or Samsung's version of same) abbreviates the process for your OS but not for mine.

BTW, if I plug in the USB cable & THEN open tap through to the "USB utilities" screen (Settings>Wireless and network>USB utilities>USB mass storage) & tap the "Connect storage to PC" button, I get a dialogue box:

"Attention
"USB is connected. Remove the cable.
OK"

I.e., the phone won't even try to connect to OS X unless the phone's UISB port is free. I have to click OK, dismiss that, unplug the USB cable & re-tap the "Connect storage to PC" button. That generates a dialogue box:

"USB utilities
"Connect USB cable to use mass storage
"Cancel"

Then I have to tap Cancel to dismiss that, replug the USB cable to get the screen you show.

Looks like Google &/or Samsung have not thought through Mac users' experience, so I'm looking for a non-root shortcut to abbreviate this process. I've been fooling around with widgets & screen shortcuts

Upvote 0
Settings -> Connectivity -> Ask on Plug

Thanks for that, Jae63—it sounds like just what I'm looking for.

The Settings screen in the build of 2.3.6 on my Galaxy Note (ATT) doesn't have a menu choice, at the top level, for Connectivity. It has, in order:

Wiress and network
Call
Sound
Display
Power saving
Location and security
Applications
Accounts and sync
Motion
Privacy
Storage
Language and keyboard
Voice input and output
Accessibility
Dock
Date & time
Pen settings
About phone
Software update

Some of those are not obvious places where Connctivity may hide, but I went through them, one by one, & didn't find it as a menu choice. I may not be able to find Connectivity because the build on the Note was changed somehow, in which case I'll try restricting my question to the Note threads.

A Google search for "android 2.3.6 connectivity ask on plug" turned up no immediate pages mentioning this as a menu choice …

If you have Connectivity on your phone, could you check your OS build number & confirm it's 2.3.6?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Hmm. Well, In my build, the menu choice under "Voice input and output" is "Accessibility," which includes assistive stuff (font size, TalkBack, a toggle to "turn on the torch"), etc. nothing there about Connectivity.

My Dock menu has one choice: "Audio output mode (Use external speakers when device is docked)"

The link you shared is useful, but lists the same steps I've been using (see my first comment). It's possible that connecting via USB is harder in 2.3.6 than your earlier version, but Android is an organizational mess.

Unless some other workaround is offered here, I think I'll mosey over to the Note-dedicated threads & see what they know

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones