Best App to manage wi-fi on the S3Support

1. smallclone

smallclone Well-Known Member

Hi, I use a combination of Juice Defender and Green Power premium at the moment.

For night settings it's ok. But for day settings - It's not great.

I sometimes download large spotify playlists or email files and then have to turn the phone off for a meeting. By the end of the meeting the file downloaded 20%. So how can I make sure it downloads it all - then switches off wi-fi to save battery?

Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Are you using the full version of JuiceDefender?

If so you can set individual apps to keep Wi-fi alive when they are running in the background - that is when the screen is blank.
  3. smallclone

Thanks, I have Juice defender pro, one down from the ultimate.

I'll give that a go.
  4. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

You are trying to save power, but by using multiple apps to save it, you will just waste more.
  5. smallclone

I have to have somethign to turn my wi-fi off and on and go into airplane mode between 1am and 7am.

These apps do that. If there's another way of doing it I'd like to know.
  6. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

There is one app that you need. It is more expensive than most, but will rplace 3-5 apps of Juice Defender type and do 100x more things above that.

Tasker.
  7. smallclone

Thanks. Looks good, also looks complicated though.
  8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

It is complicated and a massive learning curve but it is fantastic.

We have a dedicated "Tasker" Forum here too. The only app with its own forum. Link in my signature.
    davoid and KOLIO like this.
  9. smallclone

My word.

Ok, well I'll see how the phone runs and seriously think about giving Tasker a whirl.
  10. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Sweet! Didn't know we had a dedicated Tasker forum (I have sigs turned off, so never saw yours).
  11. SUroot

12. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Here's a good beginner guide:

He has two more videos about Tasker as well.
  13. smallclone

I'll have a look at that video, becauuse I downloaded it 2 hours ago and I have not a clue what i am doing.

It's extremely complicated. I think I'll be using juice defender tbh.
  14. SUroot

Its easier than you think.

Think of it like this:

Tasks - The things you want it to do. eg turn off wifi.
    Context - The thing that triggers the task. eg a time (18:00)

Profile - The profile is the context and the Task combined. Generally most things you create will be a profile with a context and a task....
    davoid likes this.
  15. smallclone

I can't even seem to import a ready made example into Tasker. So the chances of creating my own at the moment are slim.
  16. SUroot

Depends how you're importing it. Is it Directly from The Wiki? If so I dont think that is the best way to go.

The best way would be to long press the link and save as. Then you just put it in the right place /sdcard/tasker/profiles then long press the Profiles tab > Import.
  17. gkf9

gkf9 Well-Known Member

How do you get the tasker script into the tasker folder? When i click on the download link I just get a load of computer langauge, can not do anything with it?
  18. smallclone

I had to email the files to myself and then save them to phone
  19. gkf9

gkf9 Well-Known Member

Sorted.

20. SUroot

My browser is chrome so with that I just long press the link and "save link as"
  21. kenfb1

kenfb1 Well-Known Member

22. Hogan773

Hogan773 Well-Known Member

23. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

It would be nice if that could be triggered if weak 3g dbm, since that is a key reason for battery drain. Set a custom dbm threshold for when data radio shuts off and wifi turns on.
  24. Easilyamused

Easilyamused Well-Known Member

get rid of juice defender and green power. let android manage the wifi. you don't need other apps and turning off wifi will give you no significant power savings. don't believe me? add a battery monitor such as gsam or betterbatterystats. you'll see power consumption of wifi is insignificant.

here's an example. almost 10 hours and wifi usage in a non-coverage area is 3 tenths of a percent:

[​IMG]