Best app/widget to change profiles (silent, vibrate, ringer)

1. cdl

cdl Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have a Motorola Milestone running Android 2.1

What is your best app/widget to switch profiles? I want something that allows me to switch among: completely silent, vibration without ringer, vibration with ringer.
    I currently use the free app "Profiles' by "egg 'n stone". It's ok, but I was wondering if there's anything better.

I know there are plenty of widgets to enable/disable ringer and vibration; I tried several, but most didn't work well, especially when I tried to combine ringer and vibration: i.e. they were ok if I only wanted to enable or disable one of the two, but not both.

Thanks!

PS Coming from Nokias and the Iphone, I must say I'm really disappointed there isn't soemthing integrated in the OS to switch profiles (like with Nokias) or at least a physical button to enable/disable the ringer, like in the Iphone...

Advertisement
  2. scrubs

scrubs Well-Known Member

OneClick Widgets has one that will do that. I use one called SilentMode OnOff, since it matches the other HTC sense Widgets closer than the OneClick.
  3. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

That's actually what I'm using. It has been a while since I've looked into them.

Better is always subjective, regardless of whatever the topic may be. Define what you mean. What are you looking for that isn't offered by your current solution?

Coming from the Blackberry, I'm disappointed that these "profiles" apps on Android don't work the way they do on the BB. In the BB world, profiles manage all alerts. You can centrally manage audio, LED and vibrate alerts for everything via the Profiles app.
  4. cdl

cdl Well-Known Member

One click widgets seem cool, but how do you customize them after adding them to the screen? Clicking on them toggles the related fucntion on/off.
  5. scrubs

scrubs Well-Known Member

I don't know how it works on your phone, but on my eris, I have the setting for "vibrate + ringer" enabled for incoming calls (in the phone's main settings). With that enabled, the widget just toggles between "ringer+vibrate," "vibrate only," and "silent" (ie no ring or vibrate). I don't think there are any other customizable options. If you disable the "vibrate + ring," it won't vibrate when the ringer is on, but will if you have it set to just vibrate. On the OneClick, iirc, the image on the widget changes with each push to let you know the setting.
  6. onlyurei

onlyurei Member

Smarter Profiles - Automatically switches your predefined profiles based on location and time for your Android phone
    See the app on Android Market

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

A profile is consisted of a set of triggering rules and settings.

Triggering rules:
    - Wi-Fi network(s) detected
    - Day of week
    - Time of day

Settings:
    - Ringer mode [Normal, Vibrate, Silent]
    - Ringer volume
    - Notification volume
    - System volume
    - Alarm volume
    - Media volume
    - Voice call volume
  7. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I use WidgetLocker. It is a lockscreen replacement that allows you to add widgets to your lockscreen and customize your sliders. I have a slider that switches between the 3 options that you are looking for.
  8. rborelli

rborelli Well-Known Member

I use Simple Sound. works good.

Bob
  9. erwaso

erwaso Well-Known Member

mine is called "silent toggle widget"

3 different taps for sound, vibrate and silent on my home screen. i love it.
    jflower likes this.
  10. sh4dow

sh4dow Active Member

11. barqers

barqers Well-Known Member

I use tasker personally. I set it up to turn my phone on silent 10minutes before class starts, and turn it off 5 minutes before class ends (class usually ends 5mins early).

Also placed a widget on my homescreen that pops up with 2 options: NightSet and NightClear. NightSet turns my phone on silent, replies to all SMS's saying "Sleeping!" and ends all calls immediately so people know I'm sleeping. NightClear then erases this state, putting my phone off of silent mode.

Just a couple things, but I also turn GPS on when I open my maps, and I also turn gps on when I receive a special text because that text also activates my lost phone program and then reports my location back to the servers.
  12. milife

milife New Member

13. antoeknee

antoeknee Well-Known Member

Have a look at Widgetsoid.

You can add a tool bar to your home screen and have a button for changing the ringer as you want, you can have other options as well.

You can add buttons to toggle 3G, wireless, gps, BT, screen brightness plus others.

You can also add buttons that link directly to a particular app.
  14. KaosStorm

KaosStorm Well-Known Member

I use Audioguru. This one lets you set a certain number of audio profiles based on times during the day; on those profiles you set the different levels of volume and whatnot.

The thing that you need is achieved through the widgets, one of those has those three widgets you look for (normal, vibrate and silence) on top of having an assortment of extra widgets for other audio options.
  15. Saltine713

Saltine713 Well-Known Member

I have the HTC Inspire, so it allows me to have the widget, plus I have widgetlocker too.
  16. pramodpsb

pramodpsb New Member

next post will solve your problem
  17. pramodpsb

pramodpsb New Member

Hey man, here is one app "automatic profile changer" which is work as your requirement

automatic profile changer

Basically, automatic profile changer is the application which is made for those people who don't have time to additionally change the profile of application while going or coming from office, college, school etc. So basically here user will have option to set the starting time and ending time of profile and for defined weeks of the month. Here user will have four profile Ringtone,Silent,Vibrate and airplane mode. Besides of this, automatic profile changer is available in eight languages English, French, German, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, Spanish
    and Swedish (only for above android 2.2). Here user have option to start and stop the application anytime when he/she wants. One more here in this application is delay time, basically delay time is time of synchronization between database and current profile.

at here the available profile are Ringtone, Silent, Vibrate, Airplane mode
    Ringtone mode profile would work as Ringtone + vibrate
    In silent mode mobile will remain in silence with no vibration
    in vibrate mode application will just vibrate with no sound
    and in airplane your mobile would be on airplane mode.