• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best apps to improve Intercept performance?

Mistiq

May 24, 2010
Kansas City
A close friend of mine just purchased her first smartphone (Virgin Mobile Intercept.) I'm a huge Android fan (despite not having one yet) and wanted to give her the best experience for her phone that I could.

Unfortunately she doesn't like things to be changed too much so I won't be rooting, adding a new ROM any time soon or installing swype any time soon.

So what suggestions do you have to improve the quality of her phone?

So far all I've really done is

• replace the stock launcher with Go Launcher EX
  • Replaced the message app with Handcent,
  • installed Juice Defender and Lookout
  • installed Beautiful Widgets and Widget Locker.

What other customizations have u guys done to your phone that would be helpful for a non-technical person?

The first thing I would install is Advanced Task Killer.

The second, Memory Booster Lite.

Running both periodically is good medicine. Also, nothing wrong with when past the pattern login (if enabled) long-pressing the call cancel button every couple of days and shutting the phone down. Then long-pressing the call cancel button again a few minutes later to boot it back up.

Your friend should use the call answer button on the lower-left to answer calls; at least on my phone, the on-screen answer button doesn't reliably work to answer calls.

Pressing the back button, followed by the optical trackpad button then home can wake up the buttons.

The on-screen keypad is often too small for me. I like using the BigButtons keypad replacement, both in portrait and landscape modes. MessagEase is another alternative.

MyPhoneExplorer is a program worth looking at for sync, backup and exploring operations.

SwiFTP is a good FTP server program download for using WiFi to move files back and forth from phone to PC without the USB cable.

Upvote 0
I uses android assistant + Sense Analog Clock

Android Assistant has a lot of tools including quick boost, that cleans out your memory, and a start up manager to kill unwanted start up programs.

Sense Analog Clock is not a cleaning tool but it is a VERY nice info tool. Most clocks give you Time/Date/Weather this gives you Time/Date/Weather/Moon Phase/Free Ram/Free Memory/Temperature/Free SD Memory/Battery %. It dose take some power to run the widget but with a phone like the intercept knowing how much resources your phone is pulling can mean the difference between calmly cleaning your phone and smashing it on the ground for being slow.

Upvote 0
I tried advanced task killer and personally I thought it killed more battery life then it helped in performance. I just rooted my phone and put my own custom rom and kernal and its made a HUGE difference. I can put stock back on anytime when ever they decide to push the update (If they decide to finally push it)

Upvote 0
Careful with task killers. Most of the "free" ones do nothing for your phone but leech information from your phone.

Memory booster lite for example requires all kinds of permissions, even permissions to make direct calls and access information on your phone.

Example:
Advanced Task Killer Free
Permissions needed: System, phone info, network, ect...

Advanced Task Killer Pro
Permissions needed: System.

So is he free version going to speed up your phone? Maybe, until it bogs it down with ads and spyware.

Upvote 0
The first thing I would install is Advanced Task Killer.

The second, Memory Booster Lite.

Running both periodically is good medicine. Also, nothing wrong with when past the pattern login (if enabled) long-pressing the call cancel button every couple of days and shutting the phone down. Then long-pressing the call cancel button again a few minutes later to boot it back up.

Your friend should use the call answer button on the lower-left to answer calls; at least on my phone, the on-screen answer button doesn't reliably work to answer calls.

Pressing the back button, followed by the optical trackpad button then home can wake up the buttons.

The on-screen keypad is often too small for me. I like using the BigButtons keypad replacement, both in portrait and landscape modes. MessagEase is another alternative.

MyPhoneExplorer is a program worth looking at for sync, backup and exploring operations.

SwiFTP is a good FTP server program download for using WiFi to move files back and forth from phone to PC without the USB cable.

From everything that I've read, Task Killers and the like are unneccessary on Android phones from 2.1 and up. Android Task Killers Are Bad Bad Bad If you decide not to read the article, it basically says that Android is based off of Linux and it doesn't use Ram like we're used to on Windows ( I actually run Linux 85% on my home PC.) It actually seems that task Killers do more harm than good, (back when I was reading up on the EVO forums, people that had a lot of complaints about their phone uninstalled ATK and preformance improved.)

So I won't be installing any task cleaners on her phone, and I'm not sure about the memory cleaners, I'm not sure if it's actually useful on Android 2.1 or not.

I'll definitely give her the advice about using the button to answer calls. I've been powering the phone off and on every time I'm around but I'll try to ensure that she adds that as part of her routine. have you noticed that it takes forever to start the phone back up or is that because of something I did to her phone?

I like what u said about SwiftFTP, do u think that's something that's easy enough for ur average person (like ur grandmother to operate?) Is it something that's really useful to someone like that?

Upvote 0
I tried advanced task killer and personally I thought it killed more battery life then it helped in performance. I just rooted my phone and put my own custom rom and kernal and its made a HUGE difference. I can put stock back on anytime when ever they decide to push the update (If they decide to finally push it)

I agree with you about the Task killer, now what directions did you follow to root the phone? I've tried looking but nothing really seems up to date and clearly laid out like I would prefer....)

I'd prefer to work her way up to installing a new ROM but I really didn't find any directions I really trusted, at least not yet. Do you think installing a new Rom would be noticeably different to a person that doesln't like change or is it not too much of an appearance difference to someone who is already running an alternative laucnher.

Upvote 0
Home Replacement App Go Launcher Ex did wonders on my Samsung Intercept. I use Close Programs option to close third party Apps one at a time. I do not recommend closing Android built in Apps such as Dialer, Voice Search, etc. Google should make it mandatory for all App makers to close the App automatically if it is not in use for more than 10 minutes. Using Android Assistant allows me to monitor memory and Quick Boost option in there helps a lot.

Upvote 0
The reason task killers are "so addicting" is the fact that programers do not like to close their apps. Everyone wants their programs to run in the background specially apps that use advertising and data collecting. Yes, 2.1 and up do not need to use task killers "IF" it were just the OS by itself "BUT" even on a new phone it is already stuffed with pre-installed apps. Anyone who says that a 2.1 phone never needs to have its ram cleaned then they have never owned an intercept! Phone runs fine with 30+ mb of ram free, but after awhile of building up apps in the background the phone can literally become unusable, and as for android using all your ram, not true; my intercept leaves about 80-40mb of ram free if no non-OS apps are being used.

There is a difference in theory and practice.

Upvote 0
I use Adao Task Manager.

Usually it does not help performance, but I have so many apps on the phone that it can be bogged down and the task killer can help.

The main reason I use it is so that I can control the phone. Sometims I do want sop many apps sending notifications. For example, twitter. I don't need a notification every time there is a new tweet. The task manager lets me control the phone, and also does help save battery becasue the phone is not viobrating every minute with notifications.

Upvote 0
Is there a way, without rooting the phone to basically freeze some apps from running? For example, I don't want the Amazon MP3 program launching. Linux / Android OS is doing me no favors by launching stuff I'm not using.

Every couple of days, I power down the unit by long-pressing the Call Cancel button.

Upvote 0
Is there a way, without rooting the phone to basically freeze some apps from running? For example, I don't want the Amazon MP3 program launching. Linux / Android OS is doing me no favors by launching stuff I'm not using.

Every couple of days, I power down the unit by long-pressing the Call Cancel button.

I would take the plunge and just root. It's nowhere near as difficult as it sounds (READ then follow all directions carefully) and you can remove what you like with little difficulties.

I did it on my friend's phone and removed ThinkFree Office (that thing took up10-15mb) Where and Amazon Mp3 to give her space on her phone, plus I used Titanium Backup/apps2Sd (the root version, I don't have the phone with me now) to move practically all non essential apps (System apps and widgets stay internal) to her SD card so now she has 27mb of space free and that's including everything on the phone, like Angry Birds, handcent, Go Launcher Ex adfree, Titanium Manager, and many more things.

Finally, last night I stayed up and installed a kernel on her phone (Ultimate V3 or something like that) and her linpack went up to 8.6.

Now keep in mind, that I did all this for a woman who gets upset if I change the wallpaper on her phone, for me to be able to do all that on her phone and her not to really notice any negative impact is pretty good.

If you're interested I can look up and provide the links that I used, but I'm pretty sure I did it the long way around and it should be even easier.

***UPDATE**** Sorry went off in a tangent, what I meant to say was that you should take the plunge and root. If you're worried about making changes to your system, once you're rooted, you can freeze Amazon mp3 (which doesn't change anything, it just stops it from loading up but doesn't uninstall it) and the like with Titanium Backup and you're done with minimal changes or risks. You could probably unroot right after if you like, but ask someone with more experience than me.

If you want to improve your phone with minimum changes, I would root(one-click), freeze the bloatware, and install the custom Kernel(No visible changes, just makes the phone smarter about certain things) and then leave it alone. Your phone would appear completely stock, you would just have less stuff loading up at start, better battery life, faster performance and etc... without changing the way you use your phone.

This should give you an idea of what you can do with Titianium Backup and how to do it. (freezing apps, uninstalling apps, moving apps to SD and etc...)

Reactions: stef7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones