1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Best Backup/Restore App to Use with Unrooted ICS?

1. Phrank916

Phrank916 Member

So, on my phone I'm running BO 3.0, and since it's rooted I've been using Titanium Backup Pro and sometimes doing nandroid backups with CWM. I am wondering what will be the best app to use on unrooted ICS when we finally get the update? I would like to be able to restore a few apps to ICS before we get a root exploit.

Advertisement
  2. Brandonson112

Brandonson112 Well-Known Member

We already have a root exploit
    Monkeyzluck likes this.
  3. hollywoods14

hollywoods14 Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I do believe the ability to back up and restore requires root as a prerequisite.
  4. Phrank916

Phrank916 Member

Can you kindly point me towards the ICS root exploit? It would be much appreciated.
  5. hollywoods14

I'm pretty sure that is being kept under lock and key until the official ics release
  6. Brandonson112

Brandonson112 Well-Known Member

Yup, its on lockdown until the OTA drops
  7. Phrank916

Phrank916 Member

Ahh, that's too bad. I guess I'll just go with unrooted ICS until then.
  8. dspl1236

dspl1236 Well-Known Member

are you saying you have ics?
  9. bones420la

bones420la Well-Known Member

brokenout is gingerbread.. and the ota hasnt dropped... why would you need root for ics?
  10. jcase

jcase Well-Known Member

I'm the originator of the Spectrum ICS exploits that they are talking about, I've allowed access to a few ppl I trust, or otherwise had good reason to have them.

I won't be publicly releasing any of them (I have several) until after the OTA comes for obvious reasons. Give me a good excuse to have it, and you can.
    admn81 and Phrank916 like this.
  11. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Well-Known Member

And for apps, I use the app backup in ROM Toolbox Pro, other than that I just use CWM for backups.
  12. Phrank916

Phrank916 Member

did I? oops
  13. atomilluminati

atomilluminati Well-Known Member

games are unnecessary... Unless you have screen shots and proof then stop di*cking people around
  14. Phrank916

Phrank916 Member

not d*cking...just like to keep job, so vagaries.
  15. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

methinks someone is having a laugh at our expense.
  16. Monkeyzluck

Monkeyzluck Well-Known Member

Me thinks not from other posts that Phrank has made and from his profile info that he very well may be legit. I say that he and Jcase (which I'm sure they already are) need to talk it over so he can judge his legitimacy and the rest of us but out on this one. May be to our benefit.
  17. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

GO Backup can backup apps without root. It only requires root to backup app data and restore apps in bulk; it allows you to restore them individually without root.
    hairypiglet likes this.
  18. hollywoods14

ty .. i will have to remeber that.
  19. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Someone here told me about that app and I'm glad they did... It's the best backup I've found so far. I wish it deleted older backups, but it just means you have to go in and manually delete them every week or so.
  20. steamer86

steamer86 Well-Known Member

There are no ICS root exploits for the Spectrum Verizon man.
    On a side note, I really ****ing hate how carriers try and lock it down and force their bloat on you on devices marketed as and "supposedly" "open" platform.

*Walks away whistling a tune*
  21. Phrank916

Phrank916 Member

Thanks, I will try this app out.

Does it also save the app settings, like login info, settings, etc? That's the main reason I'm looking for a solution..I really hate having to re-enter credentials and redoing prefs in every app that needs it after a wipe.
  22. Phrank916

Phrank916 Member

ME TOO! Hate it! Guess that's why I must root every device I own.
  23. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

If your device is rooted, yes.... All that info is in the 'app data'. You'll be able to save it on your current rom, but you may not be able to restore it when you update to ics. I don't believe it will restore data on a non-rooted device.

So I'd still use it and save the apps and data.., a root exploit is generally found quick, so when it is, you'll be able to restore all that app data.
  24. finndo77

finndo77 Well-Known Member

I would not go into ICS expecting to be Able to restore your apps and have a 100% working device...

Titanium even warns you about restoring app data on different OS versions of gingerbread, I don't even want to try restoring to ICS. Especially since I moved all of my android gaming activities to my tablet, I am not worried about restoring the data anymore.

Many apps (not all, i know, maybe not even 30%, but probably the one you want...) are actually different packages for ICS from their gingerbread installs
  25. azoller1

azoller1 Well-Known Member

yeah i love go backup, because you don't have to click the install button 50 times, and go backup just installs it, though it does take a bit longer to restore all of your apps