• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best bet to get a Droid on Thursday?

SFWB

Android Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2010
Florida's Nature Coast
Hi from a noob...

I've been reading the forum extensively.. I'm making the move to the X from an LG Env2. I was originally going to get an Incredible, but we all know that situation..

I've got a family plan with 4 phones on it. My phone, unfortunately, isn't the primary (the wife's is - no NE2 for me). But, I have been eligible for an upgrade for over a year. I'm sick of this POS Env2, as the front buttons no longer work and I am ready to smash it.

I belong to Costco. I was there yesterday and they couldn't tell me if they'd have them on launch day or not. One guy said they won't, the other guy said they should. I have a guy on another forum I belong to insisting Costco won't have them. But, I see posts here that indicate they will.

I was going to preorder one at BB on July 4th weekend but decided not to, because they weren't making any guarantees.

I got Verizon stores nearby, but of course would rather not deal with the whole rebate hassle.

So, my plan is this. Head to Costco first, if that's a bust I'll hit Best Buy, then Walmart, and the VZ store as a last resort.

Or, should I just say screw it and order it online?

Thanks in advance. I know you guys know more about this stuff than I do.

Hi from a noob...

I've been reading the forum extensively.. I'm making the move to the X from an LG Env2. I was originally going to get an Incredible, but we all know that situation..

I've got a family plan with 4 phones on it. My phone, unfortunately, isn't the primary (the wife's is - no NE2 for me). But, I have been eligible for an upgrade for over a year. I'm sick of this POS Env2, as the front buttons no longer work and I am ready to smash it.

I belong to Costco. I was there yesterday and they couldn't tell me if they'd have them on launch day or not. One guy said they won't, the other guy said they should. I have a guy on another forum I belong to insisting Costco won't have them. But, I see posts here that indicate they will.

I was going to preorder one at BB on July 4th weekend but decided not to, because they weren't making any guarantees.

I got Verizon stores nearby, but of course would rather not deal with the whole rebate hassle.

So, my plan is this. Head to Costco first, if that's a bust I'll hit Best Buy, then Walmart, and the VZ store as a last resort.

Or, should I just say screw it and order it online?

Thanks in advance. I know you guys know more about this stuff than I do.

I think if you order it online, you wouldn't have it until the day after? I think?

Call your verizon corporate stores around you and see if they can hold one for you. Just in case your other plans fail, you have that option :)

Costco would be your best bet, as most Best Buys will only have them for preorders, and not anything over (at least my experience from the last few launches). It's always good to check though, you might even find a car dock or something there ;)

Happy hunting!

Upvote 0
My Verizon store called to say they weren't going to honor the list I was told I was added to, instead they would open an hour early (un-advertised) and it would be first-come, first served. I asked about the rebate and was told it was a pre-paid cc, which I do not want the hassle so I'll buy online with the corp store as a backup plan if the website is unusable. I doubt I'll need that plan if the phone is available at midnight. A lot can happen in 8 hours. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones